Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Scorpio SX-4W basic maintenance

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio SX-4W 2008

Yamaha Scorpio SX-4W basic maintenance

Hello All,

I got my learners license last month and today have made my mind up and bit the bullet with a Scorpio!

Now how do I take care of the thing and what things should I look out for?
    Appreciate any tips on oil types, brands of chain lube, chrome polisher etc...

In need of help

Cheers

Dan

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Owners manual will tell you what type of oil etc, workshop manual will tell you how.

Polish - mothers chrome polish is good (chrome is porous and not waterproof so polish is a great idea) but a good wax (clearcoat safe) or detailer is good on the paint. Looking after it is essential over winter.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Oh - me and a bunch of other folks will help if you need it btw - just ask

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Good for you.

I've got Scorpio service manual buried somewhere in my archives if you need it.

Edit-Just checked have and the Parts Breakdown as well.

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio SX-4W 2008
    Thanks, Took her for my first ride today!
    Gave it a bit of S100 Total Cycle Cleaner afterwards and CRC on couple spots.
    Its just for a WOF in July so will take for a service then to.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Excellent choice of learner bike! Find out (the manual should help) how to check: oil level, chain & sprocket condition, wheel bearings & brake pads. SAE90 Gear oil works good as chain lube, apply frequently.

If you are even slightly mechanically inclined get that service manual off Bonez & do the oil changes yourself. Ideally get someone skilled to supervise you the 1st couple of times.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    beryl and daisy

Talking

Hello all,
    also a newbie member and a newbie rider and having bonding issues with my wee Scorpio! The only other bike i have ever "handled" was a Ginny and I really would like to get along with the little blue scorpio.
    I would appreciate any help and a manual (bought her of trade me, no manual provided - but I am thinking of buying one)
    As english is a second language for me I am often not sure what the name of the parts are and what people are talking about - pointing to the objects helps - it really does does. However I do like the word throttle it has a nice ring to it.
    Any support would be great.

Oh and of course I am a learner - so my knowledge of everything is quite limited, but the possibilities are endless
    Last edited by blue rider; 19th April 2011 at 21:33. Reason: post to fast
    squeek squeek

Bike
    beryl and daisy
    have ordered my very own manual today, but it will take weeks (weeks!) to come from OZ.
    But then I can go and read my manual. Yes!
    squeek squeek

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Good on ya. As clint640's mentioned the Scorpios are great wee bikes to learn on.

Bike
    beryl and daisy
    so, my bike won't start, just a funny rrrrrrddd sound. Battery is dead, so I call a friend, offer dinner for help....and she accepts and brings her jump cables. I now have successfully done my first bit of 'work' on my bike, removed the fairing, found the battery and well we tried to jump start it. No luck. Mind its the original, about 3 years old, so now need a new battery.
    but on the bright side, I took my bike apart and put it back together, and the
    dinner and the company were a delight. but i won't be riding just yet....
    squeek squeek

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Excellent choice of learner bike. I have one myself as a runabout. My favourite small motorcycle.

And it's good that you're looking to take care of it. But. The main advice you need to hear is:

For god's sake put some decent tyres on it. You will crash this winter if you leave those stock IRC things on. Those tyres are the reason that there are never any un-binned Scorpios on TradeMe.

Metzeler Lasertecs are the way to go. The Scorpio's rear wheel takes a Lasertec front fitted backwards. The Metzeler importers know about this. If your bike or tyre shop isn't sure, just tell them to ring up and order Lasertecs to fit a Scorpio. It should cost you under $400 for the set.

I can't stress highly enough that you really should do this ASAP for your own safety, not to mention your riding enjoyment.

I'll leave you with the MotoTT lines riders winding down on Lasertec-shod Scorpios after a hard day at the office:

[YOUTUBE]VAgYMEE05QM[/YOUTUBE]
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by blue rider View Post
    so, my bike won't start, just a funny rrrrrrddd sound. Battery is dead, so I call a friend, offer dinner for help....and she accepts and brings her jump cables.
    Scorpios all drain their batteries when sitting turned off. Disconnect one of the terminals if you're going to park it up for more than a few days.
    - mikey

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    Great little bikes. I bought mine new to do my BHS and learning on. More than three years on and I am still riding it and still learning. I ride mine everyday, rain, hail or shine over the Wainui hill and don't share the sentiment that the IRC tyres will cause you to crash this winter. They may not be the cutting edge of tyre refinement but they are just fine on the Scorpio. Got a Michelin on the front but it's not lasting nearly as well as the IRC's. Just stuck another IRC on the back as at least I know I get some reasonable mileage out of them. I wouldn't have done that if I felt these tyres were dangerous.
    My Scorpio has been ultra reliable, hasn't missed a beat yet. The only wee problem I had was with a weeping front fork seal and that may have been my own wrong doing.
    Keep an eye on that chrome, it's not the best quality and need a regular polish especially if you ride in any weather.
    The main reason I have kept my Scorpio is that it so cheap to run and maintain. And it's ideally suited now to commute to work and back every day. Whatdamean petrol is really expensive, I hadn't noticed.
    I've got a PDF version of the workshop manual if anyone is interested. PM me your email addy if you want a copy.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
    I ride mine everyday, rain, hail or shine over the Wainui hill and don't share the sentiment that the IRC tyres will cause you to crash this winter. They may not be the cutting edge of tyre refinement but they are just fine on the Scorpio.
    The Wainui hill is a sparkling clean motorway. You won't crash there. You'll crash at an intersection when you try to brake over white paint.

The fact that you haven't crashed doesn't mean they're not dangerous. And of course you get good mileage from them. They're made of plastic (well, nylon) and don't actually wear out. I did almost 20,000km on a set with barely any visible wear. And I didn't crash, either, which is also not any sort of proof that they're safe.

Riding any particular distance within the very narrow performance envelope of those tyres, and being fortunate enough for the dice of fate not to roll you a situation that they can't handle, doesn't give you the authority to say that they're good enough. They're not.

How many second-hand Scorpios have you bought and restored for sale?

They need good tyres fitted, and you need to stop giving out dangerous advice based on the mistaken idea that it's important to save someone a hundred bucks or so.
    - mikey

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    The Wainui hill is a sparkling clean motorway. You won't crash there.
    you must be joking,the wainui hill would be one of the most treacherous little roads in welly.It is a steep bumpy,badly cambered ,peice of road ,travelled by many cars some of which arent the most highly maintained,buses and trucks no doubt spilling deisel.Sparkling clean motor way it definetly is not.

Thread Information