Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 3 warning!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Interesting read - thanks for posting.

To die that quickly I wonder if they get to the point where they cannot disperse the heat quick enough and on a relatively heavy bike with heaps of power the tyre gives up the ghost.

I will admit that in my case the PR2's have been that good and held their profile so well that there is potential for let-down changing to the ContiRA2.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Interesting read - thanks for posting.

To die that quickly I wonder if they get to the point where they cannot disperse the heat quick enough and on a relatively heavy bike with heaps of power the tyre gives up the ghost.

I will admit that in my case the PR2's have been that good and held their profile so well that there is potential for let-down changing to the ContiRA2.
    I haven't tried the RA2s but the original Road Attack only lasted 6.5k on the bird but I got 11.5k out of the last PR2 and looks like I'll get the same out of this one as well....grip-wise I didn't find either noticeably worse or better than the other
    (these are rears btw)
    F M S

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, FXR 150 Bucket
    I've had my PR2s out on the track in the wet and was amazed by the grip they had. What's the difference between them and the 3s?

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I would say that that is more than likely. The Angels may be fine on something lighter. Interestingly the 2 sets of Pirelli Stradas I've had were great tyres but didn't quite hang in as long as the PR2's. At the moment I'm definitely a PR2 fan!

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    I would say that that is more than likely. The Angels may be fine on something lighter. Interestingly the 2 sets of Pirelli Stradas I've had were great tyres but didn't quite hang in as long as the PR2's. At the moment I'm definitely a PR2 fan!
    I must say I am a huge PR2 fan, but as I have heard so much great feedback about the PR3s; the only reason not to get them is the fact that you can get some great discounted deals on PR2s. Maybe I'll get some PR3s when everyone else is on PR4s

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Will wait until I hear how they last on a Connie - got burnt with Angels so not gonna be the first to try this time...

Current PR2's have 10k on them. The last couple of sets got 12k but these are still looking really good so I may even get a bit more. So far this is the tyre for the Connie but secretly hoping that the PR3's may be another step up...
    A PR3 won't help you keep up with an ST on a Storm....you'd need a Storm for that!

I haven't liked any of the tyres mentioned in this thread (except I haven't tried Angels or Stradas).......oh yes!....or PR3's!
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    A PR3 won't help you keep up with an ST on a Storm....you'd need a Storm for that!
    Are we talking Avon Storm? If so, how does the Storm 2 compare with the original Storm. I only managed 6500km out of a rear with the Triple, whereas the PR2 lasted 9000km with tread to spare.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John_H View Post
    What's the difference between them and the 3s?
    Biggest noticable difference is the tread pattern too help disperse water better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR3's 001.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	237046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR3's 002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	237047

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Are we talking Avon Storm? If so, how does the Storm 2 compare with the original Storm. I only managed 6500km out of a rear with the Triple, whereas the PR2 lasted 9000km with tread to spare.
    No idea. I've only used Storm 2's and now Storm 2 Ultras. I get similar mileage out of PR2's, PR's & Storms, but find the Storms more nimble and grippy.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Used the Pirelli Diablo Strada, Angels and Michelin PR2. Still finishing a set of PR2 on the Hornet before I can consider the PR3, though their tread pattern is interesting compared to the PR2.

Strada... good tyre, good performance, good life. Strada, exceptional performance, dry and wet, but tyre life so poor I would reconsider its description of a sport touring tyre. It's a sports tyre.

PR2, my favourite. Excellent performance with excellent tyre life, the best of the 3 tyres. I imagine I will give the PR3 a shot once I have run out the PR2s.

Only sad part is that the BMW uses 110/80/19 and 150/70/17, and the PR2 doesn't have that size. Let's hope the PR3 does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None any more
    I ran a set of PR2s on my FJR and was significantly underwhelmed. The rear behaved itself OK but the front got eaten. This was the only model of tyre where I've consumed a front before a rear. The front ended up with a similar cross-section profile to a wiper blade.

The new PR3s look odd with all of those fine cuts in them. I can see how that may improve their grippiness but will wait and see what the pundits say about their durability before I consider a set.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    GSX1400 K7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    I ran a set of PR2s on my FJR and was significantly underwhelmed. The rear behaved itself OK but the front got eaten. This was the only model of tyre where I've consumed a front before a rear. The front ended up with a similar cross-section profile to a wiper blade.

The new PR3s look odd with all of those fine cuts in them. I can see how that may improve their grippiness but will wait and see what the pundits say about their durability before I consider a set.
    I too am a PR2 fan, I get 12-14,000km fro a set on a GSX1400, and always change both tyres together. Your comment about the front wearing the side off makes me think your yokes have been dropped down the fork tubes or something else is wrong with your front-end set-up. My front tyre lasts better than the rear, by about 1mm of tread depth.

I'm looking fwd to trying the PR3, but I'm also waitng to see how long they last.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    We've managed 17,000kms on the PR2s on the SV650. they are definitely squaring off as you can feel the bike suddenly tip in.

I'd like to fork out for PR3s on the Triple when the Metzelers resign. However, at approx $700 a set the PR3s are quite expensive.

I came across a USA site with free USA shipping which had USD $280 per set (120/70/17 and 180/55/17). Why are tyres so expensive here?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Custom Nifty-Fiity. SR71

So, the PR3s are about a hundred bucks dearer per set...

Is there any proof anywhere that they provide a hundred bucks worth of extra wear over the PR2s? Am considering either for the Firestorm soon but don't wanna pay an extra hundred bucks for a tire that may do better in the wet but not last any longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i just slammed my cock in the car door. Im going to complain to holden, as they didnt put a sign on the door advising me to either wear pants, or avoid slamming it on my penis.
    Fucksake. Hang yourself.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Comparing the milage I have already done on my 3's to the same milage on the 2's,I already know I will be getting a better milage proberly somewhere around 2500-3000 more k's

Thread Information