Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 3 warning!

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries

Avon storms

I put avon storms on the CB1300 13,000 k ago & they are still only half worn, grip has been as good as the PR2's I've had on before & a lot cheaper than the prices you guys are quoting for the PR3's. $500 for the set
    This is with a high percentage of 2 up riding as well.

I had a conti road attack on the rear & got 12,000k The PR2 front got 18,000k
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    Some Hondas, oh and a Yamaha
    Bought a second hand set for the Cold Kiwi trip. Most important thing so far is that they look cool. Fitted up pretty good with the tyre levers, but did have to do a flambι job to get a 180 to bead on a 6"rim. Looking forward to some wet weather hoonage.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    I put avon storms on the CB1300 13,000 k ago & they are still only half worn, grip has been as good as the PR2's I've had on before & a lot cheaper than the prices you guys are quoting for the PR3's. $500 for the set
    This is with a high percentage of 2 up riding as well.

I had a conti road attack on the rear & got 12,000k The PR2 front got 18,000k
    Was my first time with sports touring type tyres so I was guided by mag reviews and the interweb thingy... for what that's worth.

Bike mag gave the Mich PR3's five stars, the Avon Storm 2 Ultra got one and was described as "Far and away the poorest tyre on test". So the Avons weren't even considered.

Mileage isn't really an issue because I'm bound to get way more than I'm used to... performance is what I'm after.

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Was my first time with sports touring type tyres so I was guided by mag reviews and the interweb thingy... for what that's worth. .
    Yep we all listen to what other have to say & are to some extent guided by what is said, you also have to look @ who is saying it & what they are riding. For example I ride a CB1300 ,often with a passenger & stuff , you on the other hand ride a blade & a 675 trumpy, very different bikes to mine & I suspect ride them a bit harder than I ride the CB

Bike mag gave the Mich PR3's five stars, the Avon Storm 2 Ultra got one and was described as "Far and away the poorest tyre on test". So the Avons weren't even considered..
    1/ 'bike' is an english rag, they have different roads there to here.
    2/ If they were testing on sports bikes then their needs or wants could be different to someone who rides say an ST1300 or a Harley. I brought the Avon's because they were new, the price was right & my local tyre shop reccomended them for my type of bike & my riding style. It was a punt & it has worked for me.
    3/ 'bike' don't test from anything but a sports rider's point of view. I can't remember the last time I read anything from them where they had loaded a bike up with a weeks worth of stuff, the wife & buggered off for a weeks touring. The Avon's handle that very well, I wonder how the pures would look after a week of that ??

Mileage isn't really an issue because I'm bound to get way more than I'm used to... performance is what I'm after.
    If your not interested in the mileage & performance is the main consideration a sports/touring tyre is probably not where you should be looking. Most of the major tyre companies have a range of tyres for the crotch rockets, as your bikes fall into that category mabey the pilot pures or the metzeler M3 or M5 ??
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    Blade '12
    I imagine the Pures would be fairly tired after a week of fully loaded two up touring around the South Island

The more hardcore sports tyres aren't that much of a joy when it's really cold and wet though so I thought I'd give the 3"s a shot and they're suprisingly good even right out to the edge... although I think they're a slightly flatter profile than I'm used to. They warm up well even now which may mean they will wear faster when it gets hotter... but then I'll just take them off and keep them for next winter... hopefully.

Bike
    A
    Pilot Road 3s are ok in my book. More than ok actually, but lets not get too excited, it's just a tyre...

The past couple of years have been Michelin only for me, Pilot Road 2s do about 18000 clicks. Tried a set of Power Pures, just for a change, they lasted around 7000 clicks and were well done by that time.

Pilot Road 3s will be done by about 12000 clicks by my reckoning, with the front reaching the end before the rear. The Power Pures have quite a triangular, ie quick steering profile, whereas the PR3 is a much gentler profile, thus slow steering.

Wet road grip on the PR2 is good, on the PR3 its great. The trade off in tyre life I can live with, but I'm puzzled why Michelin claims a longer tyre life when it quite obviously isn't the case?? Same bike, same rider, same style, PR2 got 18000, whereas PR3 won't get past 12000.....maybe the confidence inspired by the PR3 makes me ride harder?? Nah, I still ride like a nana....

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

Wet road grip on the PR2 is good, on the PR3 its great. The trade off in tyre life I can live with, but I'm puzzled why Michelin claims a longer tyre life when it quite obviously isn't the case?? Same bike, same rider, same style, PR2 got 18000, whereas PR3 won't get past 12000.....maybe the confidence inspired by the PR3 makes me ride harder?? Nah, I still ride like a nana....
    It's not the first time i've heard that the 3's aren't lasting as long as the 2's, your comments seem consistent to what i've heard about them so far.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    It's not the first time i've heard that the 3's aren't lasting as long as the 2's, your comments seem consistent to what i've heard about them so far.
    Yeah well, the PR3s are all good, but when someone reckons they last longer than PR2s I get suspicious. If PR3s are lasting longer something else has changed as well....

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Yeah well, the PR3s are all good, but when someone reckons they last longer than PR2s I get suspicious. If PR3s are lasting longer something else has changed as well....
    Perhaps under their "test lab" conditions at Michelin the 3's did last long but here in NZ it seems with the coarse chip roads it's not the case thus far. Although the claim to better wet weather performance fair enough.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Yeah, mine only have around 2,500km and I'm pondering their wear. Checked out the rear the other day and I reckon it may be a bit softer as it certainly looks like it's had a bit of work. Putting another 2k on them this weekend so it'll be interesting to check them out when I'm back...

Only one way to find out...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've just had the Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails fitted, in time for the Grand Challenge. Got 4-5000km coming up in the next month, so we'll see how they go...

The PR3T has a different compound layout in the rear to suit the heavier big adventure bikes, with more hard rubber in a wider band down the centre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Well I am just over 7500ks on my PR3s and still going strong,We are taking the bike away this weekend and that will take us up over 8000k easy.In less than 3 weeks we will be in the south Island but am putting a new tyre on for that trip as we are looking at doing 4000 or so Ks while we are there,and don't like the thought of wasting a day getting a tyre when I should be riding

Here are some photos judge for yourself's,remembering that 85-90% is two-up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	249950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 003.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	249951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 007.jpg 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	249949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 005.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	440.0 KB 
ID:	249948

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    Well I am just over 7500ks on my PR3s and still going strong,We are taking the bike away this weekend and that will take us up over 8000k easy.In less than 3 weeks we will be in the south Island but am putting a new tyre on for that trip as we are looking at doing 4000 or so Ks while we are there,and don't like the thought of wasting a day getting a tyre when I should be riding

Here are some photos judge for yourself's,remembering that 85-90% is two-up

Name:	7500+ 002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	249950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 003.jpg 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	249951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 007.jpg 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	249949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7500+ 005.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	440.0 KB 
ID:	249948
    Looks like the rear has kept is profile really well. How have the sides of the front stood up? Any sign of triangulation? I've only done 4500 km and they're looking great, but I'm solo on a lighter bike with probably a more aggressive steering geometry. Mightily impressed so far though.

What tyre pressures do you run? Mine are 40R / 36F cold.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Looks like the rear has kept is profile really well. How have the sides of the front stood up? Any sign of triangulation? I've only done 4500 km and they're looking great, but I'm solo on a lighter bike with probably a more aggressive steering geometry. Mightily impressed so far though.

What tyre pressures do you run? Mine are 40R / 36F cold.
    Judge for yourself but its a fairly even wear pattern,I run 42psi rear and 36psi front,we do alot of touring and the bike is run rather agressive but set up for our style of riding,its funny when people relise the pillon is wearing knee sliders

Name:	PR3 front 003.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	249978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR3 front 001.jpg 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	249979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR3 front 002.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	495.3 KB 
ID:	249980

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    Judge for yourself but its a fairly even wear pattern,I run 42psi rear and 36psi front,we do alot of touring and the bike is run rather agressive but set up for our style of riding,its funny when people relise the pillon is wearing knee sliders

Name:	PR3 front 003.jpg 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	249978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR3 front 001.jpg 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	249979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR3 front 002.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	495.3 KB 
ID:	249980
    Thanks for that!

It does look pretty even, especially for the distance and weight you've carried. I think that the PR3's look to have a good future. What impresses me in particular is how well the front grips in the wet.

Thread Information