Thread: Hyosung GT650R reliability?

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki Z750

Hyosung GT650R reliability?

Hi, I am looking at getting my first real bike and i very much like the look of the latest GT650RN EFI. I'm a little worried about its reliability as i have read reviews which mention faulty wiring. Should i just stick with the Japanese?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Nothing man-made will last forever ... buy what you like ... and can afford ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Bugger - I was going to give them a good natured slag off, but FJRider speaks the truth.

Also have a peep at the ER series Kawasakis if you can afford them.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, FXR 150 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Nothing man-made will last forever ... buy what you like ... and can afford ...
    That doesn't really give him any practical advice as to these bikes though does it?

The hyo's do have some quality issues and I believe that they are improving as time goes on, they are pretty cheap so you do get a bike for little money. They are a good jump up from a 250 power wise, I had one and it kept me interested for a while, not too big to really get in to trouble but no slouch. My advice would be to look at the Suzuki equivalent the SV650. They are the same in power but much more reliable, I had some mechanical problems with my hyo so can attest to their reputation.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John_H View Post
    That doesn't really give him any practical advice as to these bikes though does it?
    The hell is doesn't ... If he buys new ... there will be a warranty period at least ...

If he buys secondhand ... most of the "issues" should be sorted already ...

Buying a bike you cant afford is not a wise move ... things dont get done that NEED done ... (like tyres and servicing )

And chances are he'll be getting a bigger bike soon enough anyways ...

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    IME - Pretty good and relaible bikes really.

The newer models are much improved. No more drum brakes from what I hear.

Of course a JAP unit like an ERN will be better, but taking value for money into account, the Hyo's good for the money.

Quite a looker too!

Bike
    F-18,Ginny and #66
    Blog Entries
    I know a guy who absolutely trashed his 650 Hysosung and the thing never had any problems. And the bike is still ridden every day at road and track twise a month. I used to have the 250 model 2006 and even that was super reliable - did 24 000 km in a year and never missed a beat. As long it is servised as required there is no reason why any bike cant do 100 000kms or more easy (except a harley).
    Don't Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly !!!

Hey Alan, Alan, Alan....

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by howzer View Post
    Hi, I am looking at getting my first real bike and i very much like the look of the latest GT650RN EFI. I'm a little worried about its reliability as i have read reviews which mention faulty wiring. Should i just stick with the Japanese?
    Not faulty wiring as such, from time to time the sidestand switch fails, that's about it. The suspension and brakikng package on the Hyosung is far superior to either the SV650 or the ER6 Kawasaki. The riding position is a little sportier too. Adjustable peg position is standard as well.

I can do you a brand new 2010 EFI RN for $9495, with 24 month warranty if you're keen? Send a PM if you want to know more.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    If you can live without a skirt you can always go bleek and naked-
    http://www.hyosungmotorcycles.co.nz/...afe-Racer.html

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, FXR 150 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The hell is doesn't ... If he buys new ... there will be a warranty period at least ...

If he buys secondhand ... most of the "issues" should be sorted already ...

Buying a bike you cant afford is not a wise move ... things dont get done that NEED done ... (like tyres and servicing )

And chances are he'll be getting a bigger bike soon enough anyways ...
    You didn't say any of that or even imply anything apart from he should buy what he likes if he can afford it, and it wont last forever. What you said above is much more helpful.

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki Z750
    Hey thanks for all the comments. I test drove a SV650S yesterday and really liked the ride. I'm not a fan of the ER-N and the ninja is just a bit too pricey. I may end up getting the SV and at some stage buy the lower fairing as i think it makes it look much nicer. Also i intend on trying the GSX650F. Ideally i want to buy new to get the 24 month warranty.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hey thanks for all the comments. I test drove a SV650S yesterday and really liked the ride. I'm not a fan of the ER-N and the ninja is just a bit too pricey. I may end up getting the SV and at some stage buy the lower fairing as i think it makes it look much nicer. Also i intend on trying the GSX650F. Ideally i want to buy new to get the 24 month warranty.
    Near new may come with a substanial warranty period as well ... maybe not 24 months, but the initial price will be a few thousand cheaper. 20 thousand km's on the clock matters little ... nowdays ...

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Look around for an ex-demo model. You should get a good warranty on a near new bike with only a 1000 km or so on the clock ata better price, may save $1500 or more.

If there's a bike at a dealers that you but it's like under the mileage at which they will sell it, then take it for a demo ride and put some extra kms on it!

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Can I offer another suggestion? I rode and would strongly reccomend looking at the FZ6R (fazer 600)..... they have a demo one at TSS... I think you may like it if you try it.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Honda CL400, CX500 project
    The Hyosung reviews well, those half-attempted Cafe Racer ones look pretty cool and the same price?

A new sv650 is 12k? A new hornet 600 is 12k... a new er6 is 12k... the FZ6R is another 2k on top of that (14k). Seems pricey.
    When the great beyond is headed for you, you feel it coming.

Thread Information