Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we learn from all the bike fatalities?

Bike
    Several old ones

Can we learn from all the bike fatalities?

It is so sad to hear once again of a couple of biker deaths over the weekend. My sympathies go out to friends and families.
    This got me thinking, we read of these accidents, but very rarely do we ever get told the reason for the accident.(just motorbike vs car etc etc)
    So someone has died and know one has learned anything from it.
    So its all likely to happen again, and again.

In the aircraft industry a full report is done into any air crash. Full details of everything, eventually, you can read these reports along with others to the betterment of all other aviators. ie Learn from their mistakes, sounds sad but its true.
    Why cannot we do the same for motorcyclist.

I'm not into reading all the gory stuff , don't get me wrong I just think the police should make people fully aware of the reasons these accidents are happening.

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer
    There are TCR (Traffic Crash Reports) done for all crashes and a report does come from serious crash after a fatal but they do not normally get reported in the news. Usually by the time they are released the crash is old news and lets be honest here, it's easier for the news to villainies motor cyclists by not reporting on what actually happened.
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    There are TCR (Traffic Crash Reports) done for all crashes and a report does come from serious crash after a fatal but they do not normally get reported in the news. Usually by the time they are released the crash is old news and lets be honest here, it's easier for the news to villainies motor cyclists by not reporting on what actually happened.
    And (probable) causes ... and resulting actions ... of the vehicles involved ... are reported. Gory details are seldom if ever given ...

There was a TV series on the serious crash unit incidents ...some years ago ... and did include motorcycle accidents ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

KB policy - we are not allowed to discuse crashes,and so we learn nothing from them...apart from that someone died.And we aren't allowed to discuss that either.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Mankind does not learn from war, why should mankind learn from accidents?

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    There are those who will learn without being taught
    There are those who are taught but will not learn

I have a forming belief that we (motorcyclists) are growing into a victim mentality.
    SMIDSY etc is spoken of at length. Katman rails on one side and gets shot at, on the other side...... well
    I drive a car, people pull out in front of me
    I drive a effen big truck covered in parp parp horns and people pull out in front of me
    So why am I surprised when they do it to me on my bike?

A piece of information I was given by a driving instructor (no not fat yogi, he was useless ). The difference between a professional and a part time driver? The professional compensates for the lack of skills of others

Should crash information be made available? yeah why not, it cant hurt
    Will it change some peoples attitude?
    Will it change the attitude of those that need to? Nah probably not

Bike
    raptor 1000
    the big thing is there is no "we" because im not one of the we, im a good rider, its all those other cunts that need help/instruction/better skills. Every weekend there are pics on the news and in the papers of dumbshits that kill themselves or others, no one learns, its always some other cunts fault. Back in the 70s i had 3 mates killed on bikes, did it slow me down then?....no. Motorcyclist are individuals, they choose how fast to ride and what to wear. People die, sometimes its their fault sometimes it isnt, my best man dropped dead from a brain aneurism aged 39 in his kitchen in front of his kids. Another mate rode his rd350 at full noise into a truck aged 18 there is no learning people take risks because bad shit happens to other people

Bike
    raptor 1000

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel
    I would actually be really interested to learn how many of the motorcycle accidents that happen are actually due to the fault of the rider (as in error / speed / stupidity / lack of exp etc) and how many are due to extraneous factors outside of the riders control.

I have no doubt that a fair percentage are rider caused... but what got me wondering was a few weeks ago, a mate of mine decided to go for a decent several day cruise on his new (to him) bike... he had only owned it for a few weeks so he did the diligent thing and got it serviced, including having the front tyre replaced.

All secure in the knowledge that he was riding a reasonable sized cruiser that had just been freshly given the once over by a certified bike mechanic... off he went.

Most of the journey was flawless... he had a great time... an hour and a half from getting home as he was riding along a stretch of SH1 at 100ks, when there was an almighty crash and he near lost control, as quickly and safely as he could he pulled over to the side of the road (where he was shortly met by a local who had heard the bike, then the crashing noise and assumed the worst) and got off to inspect what had happened. Most of the bike appeared normal... with the exception of the front wheel... which was minus its guard... this was located 100 meters back up the road.

Turns out the mechanic had refitted the guard but neglected to tighten the bolts... thus after several hours of road vibration each one slowly removed itself until the guard fell and got dragged under the front wheel. Luckily, nothing snagged and the bike was brought to a safe stop... but if this had have had a different ending... would the news have reported it as simply as "Motorcyclist loses control:...?

How many of us would have thought that they would need to inspect a qualified mechanics workmanship... How many of us would have been able to keep control of their bike in such a situation... How many of us are dying due to someone elses neglect...?
    www.albeephoto.blogspot.com

DuuuuuCaaaaaaTiiiiiiiiiiii

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    It is so sad to hear once again of a couple of biker deaths over the weekend. My sympathies go out to friends and families.
    This got me thinking, we read of these accidents, but very rarely do we ever get told the reason for the accident.(just motorbike vs car etc etc)

In the aircraft industry a full report is done into any air crash. Full details of everything, eventually, you can read these reports along with others to the betterment of all other aviators. ie Learn from their mistakes, sounds sad but its true.

I'm not into reading all the gory stuff , don't get me wrong I just think the police should make people fully aware of the reasons these accidents are happening.
    I can give you a accurate report on the majority of Bike crashes........reports as follows

Stupid biker going to fast

Based on the fact that most are singe vehicle crashed on corners.
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    KB policy - we are not allowed to discuse crashes,and so we learn nothing from them...apart from that someone died.And we aren't allowed to discuss that either.
    you have been on here long enough to know the rules:

Discussion of accidents
    • Accident resulting in death or serious injury
      1. Please show respect and consideration for the bikers, friends and family involved
      2. Names and details are not to be discussed for 24 hours after the accident unless they are already public (in the media) or are posted by family, close friends or Moderators. When News sites publish details it is guaranteed that family and loved ones have been informed. It is the job of the Police to inform them, not this web site.
      3. Should an accident result in deaths a RIP/Biker Down thread will be started once the names and details are public knowledge (in the media)
      4. Should an accident result in major injuries a Biker Down thread will be started once the names and details are public knowledge (in the media)
      5. A RIP/Biker Down thread is for condolences only; speculation and general discussion about the circumstances should be in a seperate thread
    • The site Administrators and Moderators reserve the right to remove a thread or posts
    • Any accident that happens at a public gathering is fair comment, subject to the above stipulations
    • Discussion of any accident not involving death or serious injury should be kept to a single thread. Respect for those involved should be shown at all times.
    • Fictitious or malicious speculation will be removed without notification and the person who posted the comments will be strongly censured
    Also, the site was adjusted prior to Grubs death to allow the following:

Major Injury AccidentsEdit Value
    Family/friend/media to break the news. Seperate discussion thread.

Fatal AccidentsEdit Value
    Family/friend/media to break the news. Seperate discussion thread.

you can choose when you log in what options you want ... i.e. no discussion etc ... these are mine.

I want an accident discussed ... but not until after my family clears it and is allowed to make an announcement. Grub had the same settings.

The thing that you are using is the stupid speculation that is slammed down by the moderators ... and I expect that this will continue.
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Most ain't 'accidents' for what it's worth.

But that's another bun-fight.

What we CAN learn is that having the right of way won't save you etc, etc, - self preservation by treating all other road users as blind imbiciles might just save your life.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    This is always a sore point.
    Personally I'd like to see discussion about them, but we all know there are too many on here that don't have the respect or compassion (these may not be the right words, Hitcher?, but I think most of ya know what I mean) to do so with any respect for the feelings of those involved or who's families/friends may be reading.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Most ain't 'accidents' for what it's worth.

But that's another bun-fight.

What we CAN learn is that having the right of way won't save you etc, etc, - self preservation by treating all other road users as blind imbiciles might just save your life.
    Agree....fact that riders get killed should be enough to tell us to take care instead of human nature to know details..are we going to remember details when on road..probably not

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post

What the fuck does it take for people to stop posting this shit upIn one post you have compared motorcyclists and accidents/air crashes/police should make people "aware of the reasons for these accidents". Your a cock,.if indeed you have a motorcycle step away from it.

Thread Information