Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornering - apex - explain?

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    And it's all about judgement, and that is not always best learnt at speed.
    Picking lines is primarily about safety, not how fast you can get through the corner (although a nice bonus for those who like to work their machine in tune with the road). It takes time and patience developing the skill - of which I am quietly working away at - and always keeping "the unexpected" uppermost in your mind. As someone else just said, vision is the most important thing - a beautiful line can still turn to crap if there is an unexpected obstacle. This is probably more pertinent to corners that are well-known and ridden frequently where attention to detail can take a back seat to the feeling of exhilaration...
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Oh boy,if the Vanishing Point is the only card you've got to play,you sure aren't stacking the deck in your favour.There are a shit load of clues to tell you how a corner needs to be dealt with.
    I know there is, and they all have a part to play in how we approach, negotiate and exit a corner. But unlike a row of telephone poles, fencelines, surface camber, speed advisory signs or chevrons for instance, the VP is a constant presence. And it doesn't take shortcuts.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Another good reason for staying wide until you can see your exit is clear can be seen on the attached image.

I have seen it dozens of times on this bend, a bike travelling left to right enters from LHS of lane goes over the centre line on exit OR enters from RHS of lane and apexes mid corner goes over the centre line on exit.
    This is another. Colloquially known as Yungatart's Corner. As you travel right to left, it not only tightens, but the gradient steepens dramatically mid-corner.
    http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&...8&source=embed
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    the VP is a constant presence.
    It's an effect,not a cause - primary clues first,call in secondary as they are needed.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    And it's all about judgement.
    Another judgemental biker
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    This is another. Colloquially known as Yungatart's Corner. As you travel right to left, it not only tightens, but the gradient steepens dramatically mid-corner.
    http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&...8&source=embed
    Now that looks like a corner which screams out to watch the vanishing point on entry & a fair degree of confidence to ride smoothly. Could almost be the Managamukas but I can't see any logging trucks.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    It's an effect,not a cause - primary clues first,call in secondary as they are needed.
    And I would still argue that it can always been relied on, because it is always there. Whereas other clues are not always present and when they are, they may not be reliable.
    Still, if we've been riding for yonks and never (or seldom) have a problem with corners, then whatever 'system' we use is right for us individually.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Now that looks like a corner which screams out to watch the vanishing point on entry & a fair degree of confidence to ride smoothly. Could almost be the Managamukas but I can't see any logging trucks.
    It's a minor link road between HW30 and HW4, inland from Te Kuiti.
    Check out this shot from ground level. As you come into the corner top right, the ground is level and you are already cornering. Right where it tightens is where the gradient changes. You are unlikely to find a worse corner anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00999.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	783.8 KB 
ID:	237600  
    Last edited by MSTRS; 29th April 2011 at 10:41.

Bike
    Kate
    It's a minor link road between HW30 and HW4, inland from Te Kuiti.
    Check out this shot from ground level. As you come into the corner top right, the ground is level and you are already cornering. Right where it tightens is where the gradient changes. You are unlikely to find a worse corner anywhere.
    That corner seems to give a false vanishing point. I think I would still be slowing down because I can't see whats beyond the gradient change. Is this your point?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    And I would still argue that it can always been relied on, because it is always there. Whereas other clues are not always present and when they are, they may not be reliable.
    Still, if we've been riding for yonks and never (or seldom) have a problem with corners, then whatever 'system' we use is right for us individually.
    I have seen a a rider go straight into a field using telegraph poles to read the road ahead. Dirty but no damage.

I think as time goes by the clues we take in to indicate what is ahead increases but the final decisions still happen at the corner. I should imagine the corner on google maps is visible on approach & looking well ahead, it's form would be visible long before you get to it.
    Well, maybe. Depending on the trees etc.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    That corner seems to give a false vanishing point. I think I would still be slowing down because I can't see whats beyond the gradient change. Is this your point?
    Definitely a case of slow in me thinks.

Bike
    Kate
    I have seen a a rider go straight into a field using telegraph poles to read the road ahead. Dirty but no damage.

I think as time goes by the clues we take in to indicate what is ahead increases but the final decisions still happen at the corner. I should imagine the corner on google maps is visible on approach & looking well ahead, it's form would be visible long before you get to it.
    Well, maybe. Depending on the trees etc.
    I remember when the road marker posts on the outside of a corner were spaced so as to indicate the safe cornering speed. Pity this is still not consistently done as it would provide one more clue.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I remember when the road marker posts on the outside of a corner were spaced so as to indicate the safe cornering speed. Pity this is still not consistently done as it would provide one more clue.
    I've noticed that too. I use the reflective markers at night, they reflect well ahead of the headlight throw.

Bike
    Partly. Using the VP to assist with determining a speed that allows safe negotiation of a corner is complicated by a gradient change that reduces the visible clear road. Exacerbated in this particular case by a bank on the left that blocks any view of what is up ahead, and by a steep downhill reducing the effectiveness of your brakes. Couple that with all the motorists that went before, whose own panic braking has scrubbed the chip smooth...well....

I have seen a a rider go straight into a field using telegraph poles to read the road ahead.
    Exactly.

I never knew that. Just that the reflectors are yellow.

Basically, this side conversation to the thread topic only supports the importance of approaching a corner as wide as possible, to allow maximum view into that corner and what it might present.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 29th April 2011 at 11:33.

And I would still argue that it can always been relied on, because it is always there.
    By the time it's noticed the VP is telling you your speed is too fast for the corner - you have cocked up long before that,and now a wide exit is the result.In a blind corner on a road you have never travelled before,the VP is the last
    thing you should be relying on - it doesn't tell you there is a driveway,wandering stock,a slip,a tourist on the wrong side of the road...the list goes on.Sorry,but the Vanishing Point is a long way down on the list of things telling me how to approach a corner.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information