Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornering - apex - explain?

Bike
    XR200

Cornering - apex - explain?

I've been riding for years. We used to have TV motoring shows where a rally driver would show a line drawn through a corner to illustrate the correct path. Then he'd take the nervous cameraman through a corner.

It all looked like common sense to me so this talk of apexing never made sense. Surely any driver/rider's brain automatically works out the apex because you have to know how sharp any corner is.

I haven't read Twisted Throttle but its on the list.

Anyway - what am I missing? Apart from corners . And yes, I've missed a couple over the years.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Apexing in the correct part of a corner is a safety issue as much as anything else. Apex too early and your exit can be dangerous. Also, the later you apex, the better vision you have through a corner and the more time and space you have to deal with anything on the road surface.

Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Your chosen Apex quite often won't be what a track racer would choose.

These TV shows were they illustrate the best line with where to 'kiss' the Apex to get maximum benefit for a swift manoeuvre can be a good guide, but unless you're going to start racing, it's not terribly useful.

I have a mate who takes racing lines through all corners at slow speed.

He's a right dick

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Apexing in the correct part of a corner is a safety issue as much as anything else. Apex too early and your exit can be dangerous. Also, the later you apex, the better vision you have through a corner and the more time and space you have to deal with anything on the road surface.
    pretty much, picking the apex governs your cornering line, late apex may not be the fastest line, but it is the safest.

Not quite on topic, but I always notice people making the traffic island their apex at right hand turning lights, then flying across to the outside
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

That is an excellent image. Thank you.

Many riders would simply follow the bend at a slower speed equidistant all the way around.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    the "classic" apex is the point where the largest radius curve meets the edge of the road.
    In the simplest way an s bend in the road and take the straight line through.The point where the straightest line clips the edge of the road is the apex.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    It all looked like common sense to me
    That's all you need,leave the over analysing to those who like to hang their tea towels straight and talk for hours about centrifugal force.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    XR200

By golly that was quick.

That is an excellent diagram. Thankyou MT.

Points to Yellow Dog too - yes I realise racing lines are not necessarily open-road lines. Which is what used to bother me about the rally driver advice because it seemed to be wrong for the average driver with a family on board.

Bike
    Various
    By golly that was quick. :niceone

That is an excellent diagram. Thankyou MT.

Points to Yellow Dog too - yes I realise racing lines are not necessarily open-road lines. Which is what used to bother me about the rally driver advice because it seemed to be wrong for the average driver with a family on board.
    If you stay wide until you can see the exit is clear you will tend to naturally select the apex as per MT's diagram. If you do this it also often allows you to exit one bend already set up for a following bend (as in tight twisties) then your shit really starts to flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    XR200
    Soo....thanks to years of reading KB I eventually changed to what I guess is a mix of Delayed and Early. It doesn't fit the lines exactly but works for me on the bike and in my vehicle.

My decades of habit was Delayed apex but that put me on/over the centre line at speed on the far side of the corner. Plus on the bike I wasn't then set up for the next bend of an S.

So now I drive wide entering the corner which gives much better vision ahead and a lot more road to play with. This isn't high-speed stuff just normal conservative driving but its easy on our roads to find tight corners so seeing ahead is very helpful.

It feels much better. Cheers.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Probably best to try it on your own side of the road first though.

Bike
    Surely any driver/rider's brain automatically works out the apex because you have to know how sharp any corner is.

this is the real point, after all.

the method that works best for me is looking at the speed of the lines' matching: you look at the road's edges and where they meet round the corner.
    if the "meeting" moves fast, it's a large turn, if it stays almost fixed, that's a sharp one.
    once you've figured out the radius, the you can figure out the position of the apex...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Probably best to try it on your own side of the road first though.
    this is merely your fault...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    If you stay wide until you can see the exit is clear you will tend to naturally select the apex as per MT's diagram. If you do this it also often allows you to exit one bend already set up for a following bend (as in tight twisties) then your shit really starts to flow.
    Get the initial line/s wrong, and something similar happens...

Just where the apex is on the line you pick can be real important too. On righthanders, never place your wheels on/close to the line...where do you think your head is?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Get the initial line/s wrong, and something similar happens...

Just where the apex is on the line you pick can be real important too. On righthanders, never place your wheels on/close to the line...where do you think your head is?
    would the correct answer be 'in line with the caravan/truck body coming the other way' ?

Thread Information