Thread: Geeks needed

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries

Geeks needed

OK, I know there are lots of computery engineery people in SMC.

I am after a voice recorder that is small and portable and can be plugged straight into my computer to get the files off easily (mp3 I guess is best?). It needs at least an hour of recording time.

I don't want one that will break in the first 5 minutes but I don't think a plain voice recorder should cost the earth, which is what most stores want to charge. Can anyone help me out here? Where could I try, what size should I look for to get a our of good quality audio? Has anyone tried out a certain type they could recommend? Also, do regular MP3 players with recording capabilities actually do a decent job?

Thanks,

Hanne

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

Vegetarian Motorcyclists Unite

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    You in auckland?
    I have an old DSE mp3 player that I used to use to record lectures. Stores about 32 hours of recording I think.
    I don't use anymore - cost ya a 6 pack of speights.
    I will be home (New Lynn) tomorrow
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    Why did I not think of asking teh internets earlier? :P

Bike
    DRZ400SM
    i usually use my mobile phone to record voice - i dont really use it too often thou.
    it might pay to check and see if your phone has a voice record feature and test its quality... better than carry lots of gadgets around imho.

cheers

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    My phone is the toughest, squarest brick I could find because it is always getting dropped/ going for excursions of its own out of pockets and needs to not break.

As a result it does not boast any extra gadgets apart from the 'call people' function and the 'text' one ><

Quote Originally Posted by hanne View Post
    my phone is the toughest, squarest brick i could find because it is always getting dropped/ going for excursions of its own out of pockets and needs to not break.

As a result it does not boast any extra gadgets apart from the 'call people' function and the 'text' one ><
    getan iphone
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Android is geekier, more versatile, (lots) cheaper, and has more *useful* apps available. But iphone is simpler and has better battery life . (I have both, switch from one to other, can't make up mind). Recording capability on both.

Cell phones that only do voice and txt? Are such things still around ? Positively sooo 21st century. This *is* the 22nd century y'know we need to move with the times.

I know older folk are often nervous of new technology, but, really, you have nothing to be afraid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    You in auckland?
    I have an old DSE mp3 player that I used to use to record lectures. Stores about 32 hours of recording I think.
    I don't use anymore - cost ya a 6 pack of speights.
    I will be home (New Lynn) tomorrow
    Don't do it!

Hold out for at least a 12-pack of homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Issue Squiggles with a pen and notepad, then just ring him.
    You get your stuff recorded, and Squiggles learns how to use a pen!
    Everybody wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Android is geekier, more versatile, (lots) cheaper, and has more *useful* apps available. But iphone is simpler and has better battery life . (I have both, switch from one to other, can't make up mind). Recording capability on both.

Cell phones that only do voice and txt? Are such things still around ? Positively sooo 21st century. This *is* the 22nd century y'know we need to move with the times.

I know older folk are often nervous of new technology, but, really, you have nothing to be afraid of.

iphones are now free with a plan
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    iphones are now free with a plan
    Unfortunately the plans arent free. You still pay , just a different way. Androids free too on a plan.

Plan is the most expensive way overall.. Cheapest waybis buy the handset and then get a 2degree sim. They had a really good deal a few months ago

Compare on the basis of how much the data costs, that's the expensive but. Plans that offer " x free minutesp" are a waste of time, no one uses pjhones to talk on now, and every plan or deal offers txts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Unfortunately the plans arent free. You still pay , just a different way. Androids free too on a plan.

Plan is the most expensive way overall.. Cheapest waybis buy the handset and then get a 2degree sim. They had a really good deal a few months ago

Compare on the basis of how much the data costs, that's the expensive but. Plans that offer " x free minutesp" are a waste of time, no one uses pjhones to talk on now, and every plan or deal offers txts
    nah its like paying the phone off over two years, the extra the plan costs (over what i spend on prepay) is the same as buying it outright (but then i'd have to may more to use it...)

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Give me a bell Hanne if you have any issues - I'll be drinking my beer
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Thread Information