Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Proficient Motorcycling"

Bike
    Sold
    Hi Santoy and welcome!

Do you happen to know whether IAM is active in Australia? A mate in Melbourne was asking. Funnily enough, when I did a Google, it came up with an IAM name in Tassie but I got the impression that it was a private training school with a similar name.

Bike
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hi Santoy and welcome!

Do you happen to know whether IAM is active in Australia? A mate in Melbourne was asking. Funnily enough, when I did a Google, it came up with an IAM name in Tassie but I got the impression that it was a private training school with a similar name.
    Thanks for the welcome, Geoff. I gave the Tassie IAM guys a call today, just out of interest. They are not affiliated, but claim to be in the same family, whatever that means. They also said no other branches in Australia. They do source some manuals and training material from IAM UK. I enjoyed a quick browse through your blog early this morning too.

Bike
    2010 vfr 1200f
    did a search on whitcoulls website ,the first book is avaliable as an e-book not sure bout second one well worth a look.

Bike
    Sold
    David's working on 2 new books. The first will be out later this year and is sort of a replacement for Proficient Motorcycling, but with totally new material. I've had the privilege of seeing some of the chapter drafts and they're superb. Still worth getting Proficient Motorcycling 2nd edition though. US$16.47 through Amazon USA.

His second book is specially for ageing motorcyclists (ummmm.... like me ) and deals with how to prolong your riding career. It's going to be another impressive best seller.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    David's working on 2 new books.
    His second book is specially for ageing motorcyclists and deals with how to prolong your riding career.
    I'd be interested in that second book. Having started riding at 61 and found out how exciting motorbike riding is I want to be on two wheels for as long as possible to make up for lost time.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i agree with his overtaking philosophy,and i can confirm the cops take a dim view of it...ie you are speeding.No excuses.I still overtake briskly,in car and on bike.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    I'd be interested in that second book. Having started riding at 61 and found out how exciting motorbike riding is I want to be on two wheels for as long as possible to make up for lost time.
    Steve,
    Don't know whether you've seen my blog and the posts about ageing riders that started the dialogue with David, but chech these posts if not:

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...o-with-it.html

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...follow-up.html

You might also be interested in (almost) free advanced training with the Institute of Advanced Motorists. If you are, sent me a PM and I'll give you some info. I'm overseas at present but back at the weekend.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    2010 vfr 1200f
    blackbird what a find well worth reading,wahts this institute of advanced motorcycle training thing ?.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by insane1 View Post
    blackbird what a find well worth reading,wahts this institute of advanced motorcycle training thing ?.
    Sorry about the delay in responding - been overseas until today.

Have a look at these links first and if you're interested, I'll give you some specific details about how you get a free assessment. The whole training is virtually free of charge as formally-qualified advanced riders give their time to raise skills of those with less experience:

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...sterclass.html

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...hing-more.html

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...ctions-so.html

http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot....rved-ride.html

It's not just limited to people with performance bikes - one chap is doing it on a Vespa 200.

PM me if you want more details after reading those links.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    2012 Honda GL1800
    I met David in Billings Montana just days after he had printed the book and have the first autographed copy as a souvenier. I reference his book in some of my "expert" reports dealing with motorcycle riding techniques and the Courts also accept and recognize his approach and expertise. He is somewhat unconventional in his approach but gets his point across well and makes for easy reading, specially for the layman or beginner rider.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    I met David in Billings Montana just days after he had printed the book and have the first autographed copy as a souvenier. I reference his book in some of my "expert" reports dealing with motorcycle riding techniques and the Courts also accept and recognize his approach and expertise. He is somewhat unconventional in his approach but gets his point across well and makes for easy reading, specially for the layman or beginner rider.
    Yep, he has the rare ability to break down a complex subject into easily understandable language. He also comes across as a humble guy as opposed to a "guru". His new book was released a few months ago and it's probably his best yet. Some really interesting research material I haven't seen elsewhere. My review here:
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...d-l-hough.html

Thread Information