Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod on Bike

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW

iPod on Bike

My good wife recently won an iPod through her employer and I wanted to run it while riding the bike.
    I tested several defferent kinds of speaker setups including, ear pods, overhead joined speakers e.t.c. and finally found the perfect speaker setup for any helmet.

The speakers are sold by Pinfolds of Rotorua. They are very flat and mount into the helmet in seconds. Pinfolds sells bike to bike and rider to pillion intercom sets but you can order just the ear phones for $51 including postage.

Last weekend I rode up to Mangonui, just north of Kaitaia and the sound was clear up to and well beyond the posted speed limit...

The massive advantage of using an iPod is you can make up play lists that last for hours so theres no need to change CD's or whatever. Plus it doesn't skip and the battery life lasts for about 12 hours or more of continous play.

I really enjoyed having a soundtrack to the sublime riding experience that is the far north. - Superb
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    ipods rock. bleedin period.
    Only problem I've found with my set up (easliy fixed) is the wind noise above 80. I've got some Earjams which clip onto my iPod earphones, but not properly roadtested them. Not had the opportunity yet. Plus my helmet is pants, so I need a new lid.

With mine, being an older one, I have an inline remote too. So I feed that down my sleeve, then the earphones back up to me nuggin, and I can control the iPod while it's dry in my jacket..

And, you could listen to KB Radio too.. if you're bored.. in traffic or summut..

Bike
    Yea I must agree, these iPods are feckin great. I now ride with it everyday to work.
    I'm sure someone will jump in here and moan about the potential safety concerns of listening to music while riding but I can't imagine it would be any worse than a car with it's radio going.

I know men can't muti-task but I've managed so far.
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Ipods rule.
    We have an amp as well to give a bit (lot) more volume and a separate volume control while the Ipod stays warm and dry.
    I get far fewer 'slow down' thumps now.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    How much for the amp and volume control Lou ???
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR 250
    Ive never tried riding with my ipod, maybe ill try it, one thing to be careful about tho.. dont mount it, i heard that the vibration fucks them up royally, something about cuz theyre harddrive based not flash based?
    riding to jimi would rock
    You are only coming through in waves. Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutage
    Ive never tried riding with my ipod, maybe ill try it, one thing to be careful about tho.. dont mount it, i heard that the vibration fucks them up royally, something about cuz theyre harddrive based not flash based?
    riding to jimi would rock
    shaking the utter crap out of them, they won't jump for at least 20 minutes of play. The iPod is hard drive based, but the caché in the iPod preloads the next 20 odd minutes of music, and then the hard drive stops spinning. This way, it saves on battery and means it rarely jumps/skips while playing.

But, this is the reason why it takes a second when you jump more than 3 or 4 songs.. I'll be fine to mount, but might not be the best idea for other reasons than that.

imho, listening to an iPod or other device isn't as bad as some car stereos I've heard, and I'd rate it pretty much the same as playing the radio in the car. But, it does pay to have your whits around you, so distractions like this aren't the best idea. But, could be your saviour on a long boring motorway trip

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR 250
    how does one air guitar to a wicked song while on a bike tho
    You are only coming through in waves. Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...

Bike
    GSF1200S K6 Bandit

iPod shuffle

I have an iPod shuffle, and it is brilliant for riding, I find though that the standard earphones work loose a bit, but not to the point that you can't hear it. No skipping or jumping, and it fits in the jacket pocket nicely.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    Lol, I admire your sense of humour mate, good to see a few of us don't mind a bit of stirring

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    what you want is an AIRCLICK wireless remote for your ipod, just mount it next to the idicators or some thing

Bike
    All of them
    yep - i have a mini. love it's guts.

Bike
    2005 Gas Gas EC250
    Yea I have a mini. I'm adding more music at the moment. it can be difficult sometimes to chose what you want.
    Wellyman

Bike
    '08 DR650
    i used to use a cd player...but it would skip etc etc so i got a usb flash drive (im too cheap for an ipod ) , but its sometimes hard to hear with the wind and all, so i might try a setup like u've got duckman, rather than just turning up the volume and blowing my eardrums out when im stuck in traffic

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NAK1D
    I have an iPod shuffle, and it is brilliant for riding, I find though that the standard earphones work loose a bit, but not to the point that you can't hear it. No skipping or jumping, and it fits in the jacket pocket nicely.
    the Shuffle is a flash based player, no moving parts. The other iPods are HD based. Other players are one or the other too. Flash based players will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever skip. Where as HD based players will skip after their caché is emptied. That will depend on the player. Apple iPods have about ~20 min skip. CD players used to boast 15 second skip.. pfft..

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    Yay! I'm really glad someone brought this up. As a total beginner, I probably won't have it on me for the first few weeks - at least till I get used to the bike/roads - but I was wondering whether I could use it. I guess I'll feed it all inside the jacket from a pocket on my body rather than attach it to the bike, it's an old 3G 20g so I have ALL my music on there. making playlists is damned inconvenient - there's too much to choose from!
    It is easier to accept the message of the stars than the message of the salt desert. The stars speak of man's insignificance in the long eternity of time; the desert speaks of his insignificance right now. - Edwin Way Teale 1956

Thread Information