Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bigger commute - West & Central Auckland

Bike
    Green one...Orange One
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjad View Post
    So I've found the perfect house but the only problem is that it would mean;

• a bigger commute to work
    • riding the motorway during peak traffic
    • figuring out how long it would take me during the morning and afternoon rush
    • getting blown around a bit more

I currently ride rain or shine for 15 minutes but now worry that this new commute may drive me to taking the car during the miserable months

I'm 60kgs so I find I get blown around quite easily on a windy day. I've riden over the Te Atatu Peninsula part a few times already during good but windy and less trafficy days and found that a little daunting as is. My partner thinks I'll be fine but then again he'd be working from home..

How do you find your commute from out West riding towards the City? Love/hate? Any tips/tricks?

I've heard going faster (not the wisest thing to do in peak traffic though) and making your thighs hug your tank tightly helps reduce you getting blown around so much. Any others?

Anywho, looking forward to your replies
    Hey,

I live out in Te Atatu and commute to work (city) everyday, come rain or shine That spell of bad weather we had with really, really strom winds...yep I was on the bike.

It's a little daunting at first, and personally if the wind is too strong I only filter if I get annoyed with the Queues Just relax and you can always stick a knee out into the wind which will help a little bit.

I only filter when the traffic is going slower than about 45kms. Even then if they are travelling at 20kms I only go up to 50kms myself, just so you see the douchebags pulling out with no indicators.

I'm about the same weight, honestly...the wind is nothing to worry about, If you want more advise PM me

Bike
    2009 SYM VS 150
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    heh your complaining of doing west to city?
    I currently do West-City-South every day.

It sucks when on a good day takes 30 min, bad days 2-3 hours. Each way.

FYI school holidays suck shit. Contrary to popular belief I end up with more traffic as the Soccer mums cause carnage on the roads.
    That's harsh! I guess you get an enjoyable long ride on quiet days though? I agree with your assessment of school holidays. Especially since I tend to travel at off-peak times.

Bike
    Modified 2014 Bonnie
    Quote Originally Posted by marie_speeds View Post
    The roundabout on Te Atatu Road is an absolute bloody nightmare from 7am onwards... So be warned if this is your planned route! This part of the journey is actually the longest stretch for me...Sun strike definitely an issue as previously stated both morning and evening.
    Not wrong, I live near that roundabout, not good, had a few interesting moments there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjad View Post
    Thanks to all who have replied. I've definitely picked up some good tips except the eating more pies part hahahaha. Missed out on the house I want but still very keen to move out west
    FBMC = try the pies you know you want to

When I first came to NZ I lived on the shore and hated it. For the last six years we have been Westies and I love it... some good rides close by as well
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
    C.S. Lewis

Bike
    2009 SYM VS 150
    Quote Originally Posted by baptist View Post
    When I first came to NZ I lived on the shore and hated it. For the last six years we have been Westies and I love it... some good rides close by as well
    Too true! When I moved from Waitakere -> Shore, I was shocked at how bike-unfriendly it was in comparison. Much better rides out West

Bike
    '87 GSX750SF Katana, 08 Cagiva Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by English Kiwi View Post
    Just relax and you can always stick a knee out into the wind which will help a little bit.
    This. A million times this.

For what ever reason it works and works pretty well.

Cross wind from your left making life interesting? Poke your left knee out away from the bike and your bike will go in a straight line again.

Likewise if its coming from the right.

Or if your like me, you get used to the feeling of going in a straight line with a funny lean on your bike and you start to like it lol.

Thread Information