Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Damper rod forks, emulators, intminators and progressive springs

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    The sexy scandinavian suspender left Stockholm yesterday!
    It's like being 6 years old again and waiting for Christmas!

Bike
    A fast one
    THE PERFECT EMULATOR
    How much would it take to machine this kind of unit to say trial it on a set of damper rod forks. Or is it just too involved.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SWERVE View Post
    THE PERFECT EMULATOR
    How much would it take to machine this kind of unit to say trial it on a set of damper rod forks. Or is it just too involved.
    Anything can be done with enough $$
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Speaking of which, I'm eagerly anticipating the writeup on semi-active suspension (ohlins CES).

Öhlins Racing’s vision is to realize the business mantra – “Make the world go electronic on suspension”.
    http://www.ohlins.com/About-the-company/This-is-Ohlins/
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Combining with electronic suspension.... Why don't suspension manufacturers predict the road surface and prepare the bike accordingly? This would involve scanning the road ahead on the line being taken. When combined with speed measurement would allow clever suspension internals to proactively move in anticipation of the surface change, rather than react to it. Or maybe this isn't a new idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    Combining with electronic suspension.... Why don't suspension manufacturers predict the road surface and prepare the bike accordingly? This would involve scanning the road ahead on the line being taken. When combined with speed measurement would allow clever suspension internals to proactively move in anticipation of the surface change, rather than react to it. Or maybe this isn't a new idea....
    There is much that is already technically possible but its also about when the market is ready for it. You may be ready for it but is the market at large ready to accept it? Would you pay a premium because production volume is small or would you rather wait until the numbers that can be easily sold are significantly higher, in turn bringing the end cost down substanially? Given the broken world we have at present Id say its for very good reason that some releases of new product have been stalled.
    Notwitstanding also that when Ohlins raced briefly with electronic suspension fitted to the WSB Yamahas ( and won ) the cavemen that are rulemakers promptly banned it
    Electronic suspension aids also got banned right here in Enzed 3 years ago. We turned up at Pukekohe race track with an R6 for Sam Smith that had new and very effective fork components inside it, making it fast enough to stick it on pole and win a race. But at the same time we had somewhat elaborately machined up some dummy electronic servos that looked exactly like those on the WSB Yamahas. Craig Shirriffs( bless his heart ) colluded in our big charade and let on to another team manager that we had electronic suspension fitted. In line with the dark side of human nature this individual thought it highly unfair ( among a few others ), spat the dummy ( at our dummy ) and it was subsequently banned by MNZ.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm eagerly anticipating the writeup on semi-active suspension (ohlins CES).

http://www.ohlins.com/About-the-company/This-is-Ohlins/
    After my next trip to Stockholm!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    T. . . . But at the same time we had somewhat elaborately machined up some dummy electronic servos that looked exactly like those on the WSB Yamahas. Craig Shirriffs( bless his heart ) colluded in our big charade and let on to another team manager that we had electronic suspension fitted. In line with the dark side of human nature this individual thought it highly unfair ( among a few others ), spat the dummy ( at our dummy ) and it was subsequently banned by MNZ.
    ok that's hilarimouse.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Various

Wink

Electronic suspension aids also got banned right here in Enzed 3 years ago. We turned up at Pukekohe race track with an R6 for Sam Smith that had new and very effective fork components inside it, making it fast enough to stick it on pole and win a race. But at the same time we had somewhat elaborately machined up some dummy electronic servos that looked exactly like those on the WSB Yamahas. Craig Shirriffs( bless his heart ) colluded in our big charade and let on to another team manager that we had electronic suspension fitted. In line with the dark side of human nature this individual thought it highly unfair ( among a few others ), spat the dummy ( at our dummy ) and it was subsequently banned by MNZ.
    You did a pretty good job on dummying that up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ohlins_003.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	240849  

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    My opinion, for what it's worth.

I had an SV650S. I had Race Tech emulators fitted - largely as a result of what Robert had to say. Fitted by the local agents under advice from Robert (thanks Robert).

Big improvement over the original forks.

Then I sold the SV and bought a GSXR.

Which was from a different planet again. I doubt I'd ever buy another bike with damper rod forks no matter how modified they were.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcktfsh View Post
    You did a pretty good job on dummying that up.
    In fact when Ohlins release for production their electronically assisted suspension the bodies of the electronic units will look just about the same as our fake versions, only a lot neater! Its also exciting to report that retrofit of these units will be available to fit existing TTX36. So those who already have such a shock will not neccessarily have to purchase a whole new shock, just an upgrade kit.
    Thats probably a very relevant point to consider when you are purchasing a new aftermarket shock and considering alternatives, how future proof is it? And how much pedigree and experience does the company have in electronic suspension control ( if at all, as is likely ) Ohlins started with electronic suspension way back in 84 with their CES valves and have built in excess of 1 million units to supply such brands as Audi, Volkswagen, Ford, Volvo, Ferrari etc.
    When the WSB Yamahas briefly ran the electronically assisted TTX36 ( before it was banned ) it was clear that it was a huge leap.
    Bring it on!!!

Bike
    1988, Honda CBR250
    This stuff is really good.

Even if half of it isn't yet understood, it can sit in the back of my mind and marinate for a while.

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Ahem!
    Surely it's time for the next installment of stuff I struggle to understand

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko_nzed View Post
    Ahem!
    Surely it's time for the next installment of stuff I struggle to understand
    So what specific part of suspension?

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    This should be made a sticky for us mere mortals....
    Well done Dr Rob.................
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Thread Information