Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle rider training course in Lower Hutt - June & August 2011

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110

Thumbs up Motorcycle rider training course in Lower Hutt - June & August 2011

Folks I saw these courses in the local paper Hutt News this week and have enrolled in the June course.

Courses are funded in part by our ACC levies. Andrew Templeton and his wife are the instructors I understand and I believe they are well regarded.

This link should take you to the Hutt City Council site and enrollment info

http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Your-Cou...rcycle-skills/

Seems to me, as a 50 year veteran of motorcycling, we can always benefit by sharpening our skills and anything that helps us stay alive has got to be good.
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    dei imperiale donna
    I did one of these a couple weeks back. Fantastic day, lots of skills taught and practiced. We should take up every single one of these opportunities we get to increase and practice our skill knowledge. Andrew and Lynn are great instructors who make it an easy learn.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
    I did one of these a couple weeks back. Fantastic day, lots of skills taught and practiced. We should take up every single one of these opportunities we get to increase and practice our skill knowledge. Andrew and Lynn are great instructors who make it an easy learn.
    Cheers Quasi - I first met Andrew on a Stay Upright Course at Manfield back in '99. They're both active in the Adventure Riding scene I believe.

Bike
    Just do it. Everyone should do two before being allowed a full license.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    Just do it. Everyone should do two before being allowed a full license.
    Totally agree with that one, and subsidised so no excuses. Also had the pleasure of Road Safe's program with Andrew when i got back into riding. Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks eh Aslan?
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    Sold
    Aslan,

Andrew and Lyn are also Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM) Observer/Instructors. If you enjoy the course, you might think about doing the IAM advanced rider training. It's pretty demanding but what you pick up is incredibly rewarding. BTW, I'm 63 and have been riding for over 4 decades. As you say, there's always something to learn.

If you want an IAM insight, my experiences so far are here:
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...-mouth-is.html
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...sterclass.html
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...hing-more.html

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Totally agree with that one, and subsidised so no excuses. Also had the pleasure of Road Safe's program with Andrew when i got back into riding. Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks eh Aslan?
    thanks Mark - I'm in - just trying to encourage others to take advantage of these courses - see you've moved on up from the DR hope you're enjoying your new Trumphy - may see you on the next Dusty Butt

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Aslan,

Andrew and Lyn are also Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM) Observer/Instructors. If you enjoy the course, you might think about doing the IAM advanced rider training. It's pretty demanding but what you pick up is incredibly rewarding. BTW, I'm 63 and have been riding for over 4 decades. As you say, there's always something to learn.

If you want an IAM insight, my experiences so far are here:
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...-mouth-is.html
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...sterclass.html
    http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...hing-more.html

Cheers,

Geoff
    Cheers for your response Geoff - we're the same age! (I'm also from the UK originally - came here in '59). Like your blog and certainly when I retire I may contemplate the instructor training you're embarked on - Cheers Aslan aka Stephen O

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks Stephen! For my circumstances, IAM was the best choice with time to put a bit of effort back into the motorcycling community and lift my skills at the same time. Might just extend my riding career to beyond where I'd originally imagined!

Bike
    2000 A1 Kawasaki ZX-12R
    I've known Andrew and Lyn for many years having worked in the motorcycle industry alongside them and having done courses under their tutelage and can say they make learning a great no pressure experience, I've just printed out the form and will send my application off tomorrow.. I agree with the prevailing thought that we (as riders) should grab these opportunities whenever they come up, not only does it show that we are aware of the opportunities provided for us, but also that we are taking a proactive approach to our own survival. I challenge anyone to do rider training and NOT learn something new.. it is a challenge that has never been met in my experience and I have done a few training courses in my three decades of riding.. be the best $20 spent for some riders I'd bet
    "oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Bike
    CBR 150.RGV250 Bucket
    Blog Entries
    I know it's already been said but DO IT! It should be compulsary and the advanced course also.
    This is the best way to improve your riding and survival skills.
    I'd been touring for 12 years and thought I had it sussed but learnt different after doing an advanced course. Emergency braking was the one thing that I really improved on, being forced to panic brake and learning how hard you can brake in a straight line ( in the dry ) has saved me many times.
    Life is a lesson-if I bother to listen

Bike
    Kate
    Is the course open to all comers or is it for Hutt City residents only?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Is the course open to all comers or is it for Hutt City residents only?
    I don't think there's any geographic restriction - ring the lady whose name appears on the link at the beginning of this thread - she's helpful and enthusiastic to see as many of us as possible take advantage of rider training funded by our ACC levies

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1

Can we set it up in auckland?

As an instructor in the Auckland area, I would be keen to put on a similar thing in the Auckland area.
    Does anyone know who might be interested in funding training in Auckland. I have asked ACC for some funding (awaiting a reply), and also the "former" Rodney District Council, but they have no money.
    I would be happy to provide the training, the hardest bit being to get the sponsorship.
    I can also provide Advanced Training to any level. www.rcsom.co.nz .
    If anyone can give me any leads, then please pm me.
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    00 CBR600F4, 03 KTM 250 EXC
    Does anyone know if i would be allowed on this course if i only have a restricted bike licence? and i turn up on a 600cc?
    if they will let me i will be on this course, some more skills for 20bucks would be great!

Thread Information