Thread: "Last-resort" engine oil?

Bike
    Honda Jade 250 + CBR600RR

"Last-resort" engine oil?

Ok - I need to top up my engine oil (it's real low) before 8:30 tomorrow morn and I've just found that there only seems to be some weird oil in the garage and my usual supply has vanished! The stuff that's there is cheap and nasty Repco 20W50 and it says it's for "older engines". Does anyone know if it's ok to use in my bike? It wouldn't be more than 1/4 of the total amount of oil usually in there.

So any advice before 8 tomorrow morning would be really cool!!!
    liberi minutalem amant

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use
    I believe that your bike runs a 15/40 or similar?

In all reality, no it wont matter to (loosely used) much but since you are mixing oils its best to change it as soon as you can afterwards, just make sure you let it warm up at low RPM in the morning, don’t get to high to quick - should be ok either way.

Edit: what does the bottle of oil say, SAE 20/50?
    Last edited by John; 2nd July 2005 at 01:48. Reason: spezlllz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I believe that your bike runs a 15/40 or similar?

In all reality, no it wont matter to (loosely used) much but since you are mixing oils its best to change it as soon as you can afterwards, just make sure you let it warm up at low RPM in the morning, don’t get to high to quick - should be ok either way.

Edit: what does the bottle of oil say, SAE 20/50?
    Cheers for that!

I can't remember what I usually use - I just know what container of oil is mine! That's bad, I know.

It just says "Repco Super Engine Oil 20/50" Not a lot really.
    liberi minutalem amant

Repco is normaly rebranded BP,but of course they will use the supplier who gives the cheapest deal,and they don't tell you who the supplier is.Beware of the budget oils,they will be crap - but Super 20/50 will be reasonable,20/50 a bit thick for your bike in winter,but if it's only a little bit I don't see a problem.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Thanks fellas. I chucked in about a cup and it didn't blow up on the ride today, so all's good!
    liberi minutalem amant

Bike
    battered old piece
    Best effort I've ever heard of was an off road guy on a 600(I think) who was in the International Six Days Enduro and had an oil leak so stopped at an intalian farmhouse and poured some extra virgin olive oil into his single cylinder beast and carried on. He got to the checkpoint ok but later in the day ran out of oil again so jumped into a handy supermarket and bought more of the "good oil"

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by quietguy
    Best effort I've ever heard of was an off road guy on a 600(I think) who was in the International Six Days Enduro and had an oil leak so stopped at an intalian farmhouse and poured some extra virgin olive oil into his single cylinder beast and carried on. He got to the checkpoint ok but later in the day ran out of oil again so jumped into a handy supermarket and bought more of the "good oil"
    Vegetable oils often perform better than mineral.They have the disadvantage of forming varnish when they oxidise,though.
    Castrol is originally the brand of the Wakefeild Oil Co.Comes from caster oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie
    Vegetable oils often perform better than mineral.They have the disadvantage of forming varnish when they oxidise,though.
    Castrol is originally the brand of the Wakefeild Oil Co.Comes from caster oil.
    Caster is what keeps your bike pointed in the right direction - castor is the bean with the foul taste that gives you the shits,but has the smell of motorcycle heaven.It travels to heat,not away from it.....in a worm drive truck diff you can use the thickest EP oil you can find,and it will still get squeezed out from the high pressures - but 30 weight castor engine oil is up to the task.The best modern synthetic oils used esters,derived from vegtable sources.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Was aslo the recommend oil for Peugeot 403 (?) - (oldish one). A company I worked for had to buy a 20 litre tin when they needed (about a cupful) to top up the diff. Guess who "found" the balance for his speedway bike
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    The best modern synthetic oils used esters,derived from vegtable sources.
    So this Ester you mention... she's an Oil magnate with parents that are vegetables?

not sure if I should be happy or sad on that one...
    MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Mmm. The balmy smell of Castrol M in the mornings (no, it's not a typo for castrol R)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder
    So this Ester you mention... she's an Oil magnate with parents that are vegetables?

not sure if I should be happy or sad on that one...
    MDU
    Thats the one - nickname is Poly.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information