Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why should I get a motard?

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    Shit yeah that'd be tons of fun and cost you pennies. Get some tyre levers and throw some knobblies on it at the weekend to go ride dirt... Braaaap, braaap!
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Bike
    2006 husqvarna 610sm
    i have been riding big japanese sports bikes for over 20 years and have never had more fun or a bigger smile than on my motard!
    :-)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And a bloody nice one that is too mate! How are those things on fuel btw with the injection and all?

Bike
    DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterboynz View Post
    i have been riding big japanese sports bikes for over 20 years and have never had more fun or a bigger smile than on my motard!
    I have fun on a drz400sm, imagine it 10x on your husky

Bike
    2006 husqvarna 610sm
    mine is carby model , coughs and splutters , back fires , and i love it ,,,, my previous bike , 04 zx10r was just too perfect

Bike
    2006 husqvarna 610sm
    ok not sure if this will work but here is a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10896.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	793.9 KB 
ID:	242906  

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Nice. I've always liked the 610's. Is it just as horrendous on fuel as my 660?

Bike
    2006 husqvarna 610sm
    depends how much you twist the throttle, 14 litre tank so over $30 to fill ,,, better fuel economy than my car!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    Nice. I've always liked the 610's. Is it just as horrendous on fuel as my 660?
    What does your 660 do? liters for 100km etc?

My 525 motard does 4.5L/100km or 22km/l if cruising. Around town, gassing it a bit it will go to 4.9L/100km.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterboynz View Post
    depends how much you twist the throttle, 14 litre tank so over $30 to fill ,,, better fuel economy than my car!
    Depends how long it lasts, how many km?

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by racefactory View Post
    What does your 660 do? liters for 100km etc?

My 525 motard does 4.5L/100km or 22km/l if cruising. Around town, gassing it a bit it will go to 4.9L/100km.

Depends how long it lasts, how many km?
    Jeez I don't think I can do 100km on a tank. So I'm guessing roughly 7L/100km

Bike
    Tuono R , SD900

Bike
    2006 husqvarna 610sm
    gotta get me some of those sparking boots!

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Each to their own but to me DRZ400's or XT660's are not super-moto's, there's nothing super about 'em. If you enjoy 'em all power to ya but I don't feel they are true representatives of the breed. They don't follow the ultra-light minimalist ethos that is core to what I reckon super-moto's should be. Put it this way, jump off a DRZ/XT on to a genuine Aprilia/KTM type super-moto and you'd be just as blown away as if you'd jumped off any middleweight commuter. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 'em, I just don't feel they are what they are portrayed to be.

My experience with a Husaberg FS650? 112kg's and 60-ish hp (bit different to a DRZ/XT eh?) is a helluva lot of fun....on the right bit of road. But you soon realise how far apart the right bit's of road are. And you'll become acutely aware of how far apart the gas stations are with a range of fractionally over 100km's. Not that you'll want more 'cos the 4 x 2 that masquerades as a seat soon has you juggling from cheek to cheek trying to find a comfy posy that just doesn't exist.

Yep, great fun over the Rimutaka's ( I live about 30km's away) or somewhere similar, but getting there isn't the slightest bit of fun on roads that your sportsbike riding mates will enjoy but you'll hate. In town would be a hoot, but the maintenance on anything that would really put a smile on your face takes a bit of the shine off it.

Horses for courses really, you need to think about what sort of roads you ride, and pick a bike to suit. If you live half way along the Akatarawa's then a super-moto would be brilliant, but if you're droning up and down the main road then do yourself a favour and look at something else.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Each to their own but to me DRZ400's or XT660's are not super-moto's, there's nothing super about 'em. If you enjoy 'em all power to ya but I don't feel they are true representatives of the breed. They don't follow the ultra-light minimalist ethos that is core to what I reckon super-moto's should be. Put it this way, jump off a DRZ/XT on to a genuine Aprilia/KTM type super-moto and you'd be just as blown away as if you'd jumped off any middleweight commuter. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 'em, I just don't feel they are what they are portrayed to be.

My experience with a Husaberg FS650? 112kg's and 60-ish hp (bit different to a DRZ/XT eh?) is a helluva lot of fun....on the right bit of road. But you soon realise how far apart the right bit's of road are. And you'll become acutely aware of how far apart the gas stations are with a range of fractionally over 100km's. Not that you'll want more 'cos the 4 x 2 that masquerades as a seat soon has you juggling from cheek to cheek trying to find a comfy posy that just doesn't exist.

Yep, great fun over the Rimutaka's ( I live about 30km's away) or somewhere similar, but getting there isn't the slightest bit of fun on roads that your sportsbike riding mates will enjoy but you'll hate. In town would be a hoot, but the maintenance on anything that would really put a smile on your face takes a bit of the shine off it.

Horses for courses really, you need to think about what sort of roads you ride, and pick a bike to suit. If you live half way along the Akatarawa's then a super-moto would be brilliant, but if you're droning up and down the main road then do yourself a favour and look at something else.
    Disagree with that. My DRZ and KTM have been far more comfortable than any of the sports bikes I've owned. You have a nice neutral position and don't come off it with a broken back or wrists after. Have a far easier time going long distance on motard. Fuel range is not too bad and everyone is ready to get off at 160k for a rest anyway, and they are pretty light on the wallet don't forget!

I also disagree with DRZ not being a real motard. I have a KTM full blown motard and the DRZ was just the same kind of fun and just as capable on the roads. For me the main advantage is that the KTM has dirt wheels and is a weapon with them on. Sure there is a huge difference in power but motards are about corners. Maintenance is the same, just more frequent oil changes albeit smaller quantities of oil. Valve clearances are much easier to do on ktm RFS engines. DRZ's are still extremely crashable and potent machines for motarding fun. They are a motard in every sense of the word.

Oh and Stephane Chambon's bike is a DRZ400... if that's not a real motard then I have no idea what is

Bike
    Thinking
    Seen anyone racing a DRZ bro ................nope, that because they are to slow fat and heavy, they arent a supermotard, just a motard for the street
    thats coming from trackdaying a DRZ (once and that was enough) and racing a supermoto as my qualification in saying that.
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Thread Information