Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why should I get a motard?

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Seen anyone racing a DRZ bro ................nope, that because they are to slow fat and heavy, they arent a supermotard, just a motard for the street
    thats coming from trackdaying a DRZ (once and that was enough) and racing a supermoto as my qualification in saying that.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bike
    Thinking
    was he last ?
    actually I meant in NZ, I have never seen one raced in NZ style tracks.
    if there was I doubt it would be competitive
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    2006 husqvarna 610sm
    i would consider a Drz more of a motard than say an aprillia dorsoduro or a ducati hypermotard, but does it really matter? just get out there and ride!
    :-)

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Seen anyone racing a DRZ bro ................nope, that because they are to slow fat and heavy, they arent a supermotard, just a motard for the street
    thats coming from trackdaying a DRZ (once and that was enough) and racing a supermoto as my qualification in saying that.
    Yes, I have- world class riders. Check the above video, now you've seen a race one in action.

Also Travis Pastrana racing a DRZ is not enough lol?
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by racefactory View Post
    Yes, I have- world class riders. Check the above video, now you've seen a race one in action.

Also Travis Pastrana racing a DRZ is not enough lol?
    Get one and race it in NZ then bro, we will wait for you

you will get whipped at Taupo Paeroa Wanganui Manfeild Hampton

thats the point in NZ they wont be any good

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yup that's true. But then why don't I just get a 600 and dominate all motards instead?

Bike
    Thinking
    Yup that's true. But then why don't I just get a 600 and dominate all motards instead?

cause there isnt a 600 motard ?

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Disagree with that. My DRZ and KTM have been far more comfortable than any of the sports bikes I've owned. You have a nice neutral position and don't come off it with a broken back or wrists after. Have a far easier time going long distance on motard. Fuel range is not too bad and everyone is ready to get off at 160k for a rest anyway, and they are pretty light on the wallet don't forget!

I also disagree with DRZ not being a real motard. I have a KTM full blown motard and the DRZ was just the same kind of fun and just as capable on the roads. For me the main advantage is that the KTM has dirt wheels and is a weapon with them on. Sure there is a huge difference in power but motards are about corners. Maintenance is the same, just more frequent oil changes albeit smaller quantities of oil. Valve clearances are much easier to do on ktm RFS engines. DRZ's are still extremely crashable and potent machines for motarding fun. They are a motard in every sense of the word.

Oh and Stephane Chambon's bike is a DRZ400... if that's not a real motard then I have no idea what is
    Haha, I'm not seein' too many OEM parts on Chambon's DRZ mate! As I said, if you enjoy it then goodonya, you're onto some cheap fun.

I really dunno what it is with the winging about sportsbike riding positions. I'm coming up to 45, with a few injuries thrown in over the years (hip cartilage, shoulder problems etc) and the only bike amongst the 'blades, R1, GSXR's that I've owned that was a problem was a 916, and that was only 'round town (made up for it on open road!). I'd much rather have the wind supporting my upper body than be a parachute.

But it's all good, whatever floats ya boat, and the thread starter has got a few more things to think about.

Bike
    There's a few DRZ's that race at the local track holding there own out there against the 450's & 550's and the guys on the DRZ dont do themselves any disgrace either. I get what people mean about not being a 'proper' motard, but then again, is an EXC a proper motard? Splitting hairs really, as long as your out there doing it instead of on the couch.

Bike
    Fully Tarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_925 View Post
    Splitting hairs really, as long as your out there doing it instead of on the couch.
    Agreed! Saw this on the supermoto.nz site once and reckon it's a fair enough 'definition.'

" Is it SuperMotard or SuperMoto???
    Ahhh, the eternal question! There seems to be no hard and fast rules here, so we will when ever possible use these rules...If we use the term "SuperMoto", we are referring to racing being held on both road race and dirt bike sections a la The Word SuperMoto series. For racing on road race circuits only and general road riding we will use the term "SuperMotard" Where an article is relevant to both, we will default to the term SuperMotard."

I'd never consider my road-reg daily commute DRZ-SM to be a racebike for all the obvious reasons and yep, you'd find it tough against something +50cc & -30kgs, however IMO full respect to someone who wants to...better trying and finding out than sitting watching

No the drz is not the fastest motard out there. And it is a bit heavy. And it is a bit of a production commuter bike dressed up.

But for the 8k you can buy one new for, it would be really hard not to enjoy it.

I ended up selling mine as we had too many bikes and it is hard to motivate myself to ride on the road in winter. More interested in buckets now.

However the drz gave many a sports bike a hiding up my local road. I managed to embarrass an aprilia rsv and was right on the tail of a cbr1000. Not to mention the boy racers in their 'fast cars'.

Spent all my free time trying to hold it in a wheelie and jumping a set of railway lines nearby home, usually at about 10.00 at night.

I did Auckland to whangarei on the thing and I will admit that that got tedious and sore.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So what is the definition of true motard? RMZ450 with 17 inch wheels nothing more, nothing less? Is a KTM 125 sx not a real motard?

Personally I think the line is drawn at KTM 640, anything smaller fits the description of motard. Motard formula needs 3 things in my opinion... 1. mx or enduro dna 2. crashability 3. single cylinder

Bike
    Thinking
    So what is the definition of true motard?
    a Motard is easy enough dirt bike with 17 inch wheels (not saying thats bad) a Supermotard is a SMR for example or one with better suspension and oversized brakes

Thread Information