Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motorcycles to use bike advanced stop zones - we hope

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchips View Post
    Advanced stop boxes are now being installed in Wellytown, locations as per Yippee Ki-Yay, Mother Russia

in short... "Wellington City Council has marked roads at traffic lights so cyclists can stop at lights ahead of other vehicles... Motorists need to stop further back and be prepared for cyclists moving forward to the front of the traffic queue."

Dom post Info here..

Would it be legal for motorcycles to position themselves inside these 'stop boxes'

Please discuss.

I think i'll give WCC a call tomorow.
    You are very exposed to traffic coming from your right: I dont feel that comfortable in them. I tend to filter and stop just in front of the lead car. I also dont really nail it coming off the lights because as we all know, red lights are optional. Move that head, people.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    That's a wonderfully self deluded thought. Of course everyone will be delayed behind you, even slightly. You then have the same knock on effect of a crash on the M4 where the whole scene is cleared up and it stil concertinas back.
    incorrect because the light phases are shorter in urban traffic. Its the cars that hold shit up not the bikes or motorbikes.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    There are two groups I dislike on the road for the same reason. The boi racers and the cyclists. They both have the same snot nose, spoilt middle class winging attitude. They both need a good dose of the car crusher.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Kwaka
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think I found your problem.
    I'm not sure you did.
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    2008 Hyosung GT250R
    So dragging up an old post, but thought I would share my experience with testing whether motorcycles can use these advance stop boxes (ASB) or cycle boxes.

Short answer is: motorcycles are not suppose to use these boxes. There is no law stating motorcycles can or cannot use these ASB. Therefore you default to the sign in the box. There is no motorcycle in the box only a bicycle.... seems pretty flimsy to me... but I have just been to a disputes tribunal and lost because there is no sign saying motorcycles can use these boxes..... so take care when using these things.

If anyone was had any experience with the law in regards to ASB and has come across an alternative opinion let me know....
    J.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by not2slow View Post
    / There is no motorcycle in the box only a bicycle.... seems pretty flimsy to me... but I have just been to a disputes tribunal and lost because there is no sign saying motorcycles can use these boxes..... so take care when using these things.

If anyone was had any experience with the law in regards to ASB and has come across an alternative opinion let me know....
    J.
    There is a theory you can park anywhere except if a sign or law states you can't. Point to the sign or law that says you cant park in that box. Note ... normal overtaking laws to GET to that box WILL apply.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by not2slow View Post
    So dragging up an old post, but thought I would share my experience with testing whether motorcycles can use these advance stop boxes (ASB) or cycle boxes.

Short answer is: motorcycles are not suppose to use these boxes. There is no law stating motorcycles can or cannot use these ASB. Therefore you default to the sign in the box. There is no motorcycle in the box only a bicycle.... seems pretty flimsy to me... but I have just been to a disputes tribunal and lost because there is no sign saying motorcycles can use these boxes..... so take care when using these things.

J.
    See post 17. Advanced stop boxes were brought in to help cyclists get in front of other traffic when pulling off so they can be seen. Motorbikes don't need this because they have engines. The logical conclusion to your argument is that cars can use them as well. The clue is in the symbol painted in them.

See section 3.18.08 on this link.

I just filter so I am level with the front of the cars either side. It would be far easier to just go up the empty cycle lane on the left to get to the front and sit in the ASB but I know there is a difference between a GSXR and a Raleigh 20 and I know that the cops know that as well. Asking for it really.

Having said that, there are a number of things that have been brought in over the last few years that have just appeared, with no real information behind them. A couple of these I bend the rules on and would be tempted to defend a ticket.

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    See post 17. Advanced stop boxes were brought in to help cyclists get in front of other traffic when pulling off so they can be seen. Motorbikes don't need this because they have engines. The logical conclusion to your argument is that cars can use them as well. The clue is in the symbol painted in them.
    In fact in many places part of the motorbike test includes filtering through traffic at light to guess where - the front, where there is often a cycle box. Roads are not designed with usually either cyclists or motorbikes in mind, and so we (and I am both) often find we are in grey (or green) areas. Court is not the place where you want to clarify how the legal system interprets these issues - especially as it is inconsistent and often cannot be worked out directly from the statues.

Currently Auckland Transport are circulating information about what lanes motorbikes can and cannot use and they are clearly saying in this motorbikes cannot use the cycle boxes at light. However if you legally filter through "parked" traffic in many Auckland junctions you will either end up in one or between two cars just short of one. Any basic common sense would indicate the motorbike should use the space if not already being used by cyclists but that is in pretty short supply.
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Thread Information