Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NXC125 20,000km

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Awesome weather for scootering. I'm taking it to town to attend Tribunals lately. SOOO much easier to get out afterwards especially if it's a bit close to 4 or 5pm. The thing is running great even though it still has the standard exhaust on it. Me and my boy have been to Kohimarama for gourmet burgers a few nights back for dinner. Good fun blasting back down the motorway. Quite funny how cars merging in have to get in front and then travel slower than I was going. Zipping past with the speedo pegged past the oil change indicator is a bit of a laugh. Met a Harley type just off the motorway at Te Atatu turning towards Henderson. Did the usual leap away from the lights only to be passed 50m down the road in a blast of sound and smoke, only to pull up beside him at the next lights. Process repeated and looking at a repeat at the next lights by the Caltex but he ran the red. You have to laugh.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Hard to believe it's been so long. The scooter has been running great but on the way to work last week the belt finally let go after about 12,000K. New belt and new 10g rollers in place of the standard 9g rollers and away we went again. The 10g rollers pull the revs down nicely and the 203cc engine seems to prefer it. 95-100Kmh cruising is effortless going to & from Manukau down the SW motorway and the crawl through the back of New Lynn seems to be less hassle on the clutch, possibly because of the lower engine revs though the clutch rpm should be the same at the takeup point. It has developed a sort of flat spot which seems to be carburation, probably move the needle one notch. I never noticed it before with the 9g rollers as the motor jumped to higher revs past the stumble. It isn't a problem and the speedo needle continues to scoot around. It seems to get better fuel economy as well though it is a bit early to tell. I'm pretty sure the fuel gauge didn't dive as far as usual on the trip. Possibly the 9g rollers were letting the motor rev past the ideal engine speed as I actually prefer it with the 10g rollers. I'll put it back on the dyno and check it out

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It had to end.

It stopped when my son was riding back from Uni. Probably the crank again but I can't be bothered checking.
    Just got a box of stuff from RC Scooters today.

Big list including +8.8mm crank, 66mm cylinder with forged piston, most of the transmission, oil cooler, heat sinks, roller cam with 2mm more lift. Out to 229cc when together. I'm sticking with the Taida 24/22mm valve head. The crank is a good looking piece, fully machined and with a pretty serious looking forged rod. Chris from RC says it should be good for 11,000rpm so should be fine at the standard redline. Just a bit of machining to do to fit the cylinder to the cases and a missing bit to come and we'll be away.

It barked pretty good with the old 5mm lift cam and my homemade exhaust. I'm thinking with the new cam I'm going to have to quieten the exhaust.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Some machining done to fit the cylinder to the cases and a bit of unpacking and assembly now going on. Gotta find someone with a valve spring compressor so I can fit the new valve springs. Oil cooler not shown. It's going to be fun finding somewhere to mount it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter crankshaft2 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	337082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter crankshaft (640x480).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	337083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter clutch2 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	337084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter clutch (640x480).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	337085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter heatsinks (640x480).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	337086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter piston2 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	337087  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Lovely little piston

Name:	Scooter piston (640x480).jpg 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	337088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter cylinder & piston (640x480).jpg 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	337089  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Making slow progress. Had to grind the head as the cam lobes are so big that the cam chain side lobe got jammed against the head and stopped the cam lining up the bearing at the other end with the bearing pocket in the head. Then the valve springs are a bit fatter, and heaps stronger, and touched on the inside of the head. I took to the head again with the die grinder. While I've been messing with the head it became obvious with the valves removed that the ports were terrible. Turns out that a lot of these heads have lots of meat left in them for tuners to work their magic. I've done some work, not sure about magic but the ports sure look and feel better. The intake manifold was equally terrible so I fixed that as well.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Weird.. I've got a 2008 NXC125 (called a CygnusX over here) and I've not had any dramas like this with it. I've had a coil pack in and the ignition barrel has broken on me (some solder broke and wouldn't complete the circuit properly) but nothing mechanical, which is surprising considering the life it's had.

It used to be owned by someone who refused to look after, maintain, or service it. After that it was used for paddock bashing and general drunken shenanigans at festivals, now I've ripped the airbox off it and put on a "sports" exhaust and a handful of obnoxious cosmetic "upgrades" and it gets thrashed pretty much everywhere (even the odd trackday, for shits and giggles). I've not had any mechanical maladies..

I hope you get yours sussed out soon!

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    CygnusX is what this is.
    The thrashing this thing got was for extended periods down the motorway, sometimes from the city to Te Atatu offramp, 10-15 minutes with the throttle pinned.
    Anyway, motor is coming together. Took a few photos of various bits, in this case the cams and rockers. The smaller cam is a Taida T6 so a bit of a hotup part which worked well with the 203cc kit. Compare that to the new cam, lift and duration. Matching rockers in the other photo. The Taida rocker is a step up from the standard ones and as you can see the new roller rocker is a big jump up from that. Lift is going from 5.1mm or 5.2mm to 7.?mm or roughly a 40% increase in lift.
    The crankshaft is a neat fit in the cases. Not a lot of room to go bigger.

Name:	Cams 640.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	337410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rockers (640x480).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	337411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1341 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	337412  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    CygnusX is what this is.
    The thrashing this thing got was for extended periods down the motorway, sometimes from the city to Te Atatu offramp, 10-15 minutes with the throttle pinned.
    Anyway, motor is coming together. Took a few photos of various bits, in this case the cams and rockers. The smaller cam is a Taida T6 so a bit of a hotup part which worked well with the 203cc kit. Compare that to the new cam, lift and duration. Matching rockers in the other photo. The Taida rocker is a step up from the standard ones and as you can see the new roller rocker is a big jump up from that. Lift is going from 5.1mm or 5.2mm to 7.?mm or roughly a 40% increase in lift.
    The crankshaft is a neat fit in the cases. Not a lot of room to go bigger.
    I cant help but think If you brought a Honda Lead 125 none of this extraneous valve train paraphernalia would be an issue.
    Nice work though........
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It's the sequins I don't like

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Engine is together and in the chassis. Trying to find where the oil cooler goes is a mission. Surprisingly little spare room. Have also ordered a new Mikuni TM33 pumper carb. That should perk it up good and proper being about a 40% increase in size and a proper carb. More work to fit that as well. I'll build a custom intake manifold, then we'll cut chunks off the underseat storage until it can be fitted. Once sorted I'll need to seal up the underseat area again.

Link to carb: https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/tm33-8...ni-carburetor/

Had a good chat to the guy on the phone. Very good to talk to. Very quick service as well. Paid for the carb online at about midday and had a message from the couriers saying it was on it's way before I left work.

Interestingly the pumper TMs are completely different to the non-pumper models. Different jet types, different slide mechanisms.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Dropped at work this morning, thanks mikunioz.

Name:	SAM_2795 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	337684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2794 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	337685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2791 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	337686  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Ran it with the oil cooler line looped back just to check the engine for leaks. It was in the chassis so seemed a good idea. It seems pretty perky, and we all like it when they are perky.
    Got it back out now to fit the new belt, manifold, and throttle cable that we got from Webike in Japan. I was scrolling through the site and discovered a manifold that's 32mm at the carb and 28 at the engine. Unfortunately the carb mounting rubber thingy is a bit tight and the carb doesn't fit securely but a proper 33/40mm mount from Mikuni will sort that out. The pictures show the manifold and carb mounted in the conventional manner. I will make an adaptor to raise the manifold 10-20mm and rotate it towards the left of the bike so it is on the other side of the cam chain tensioner. This will require less to be cut from the bottom of the seat storage plus the air filter will fit on the left side more or less where the standard filter housing went.

Name:	scooter2 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	338072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scooter1 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	338073  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It's all together and we've been riding it around. It gets happy at about 60kmh on the speedo. The clutch takes up nice once the revs come up. It takes more revs to engage initially but then seems more or less the same as it used to be. I do think the clutch disengages at a lower speed than it used to which is odd considering the difference in revs for it to engage. It pinks with more than about 50% throttle at certain revs. The carb seems pretty good so I'm looking to put the Ecotrons ECU I had for my turbo FZR125 on it but just to run the ignition. I'm pretty sure the teeth on the rotor are the same as the FZR arrangement so it should work and I'll then have a tuneable ignition advance.
    Had a little ride from Glendene to Rosebank Road and then back on the motorway to Lincoln Road. 80Kmh on the motorway was a breeze and even 100kmh was probably less than 25% throttle. A quick flick to 50% saw it jump past 100kmh real quick. Supposedly the engine is good for over 11,000rpm rather than the standard 9,200rpm. With the Ecotrons ECU I can increase the rpm limit easily. This variator has an overdrive pulley set. with the original set and the taller gearing it hit the rev limiter at about 135kmh, measured on the dyno, and would happily do this over the causeway. With the overdrive it should do 140kmh and if I add 20% to the engine revs it'll go faster than I'd want to.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Curious as all hell now, come on pics or it aint happened! Insane, but bloody good fun I'd wager.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information