Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's the best way to handle wind?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CatTheBrat View Post
    Target lock on the van, froze and arms went stiff - just barely made it back to the centre line and passed with what felt like cm's to spare. Lack of experience in my case. And I drifted back out as the corner tightened up but very lucky nothing coming so I had a chance to tell myself to relax and get the fk back to the other side! I knew straight away what i had done wrong, but the panic over rode it. Definitely a code brown moment.
    The victim of a very powerful survival reaction! Target Fixation!
    That is definitely a brown pants moment!

Bike
    2000, Truimph TT600
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Not from to many beans but when riding. Went out today and got blown about a bit. Felt a bit unstable in gusts. Any tips?
    Find a bus and hunker down in it's lee. Done that more than once going over the harbour bridge over the years.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Stucking your knee out on the side the wind is hitting you seems to help.

(Oops, read the rest of the thread and saw it was already mentioned, doh!)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R

Thumbs up

Completely ignore it. After a few years riding you don't even notice it, or if you do notice, you're like wtf was that?? Keep your speed up and just be really ready on the bars, and just concentrate and steer. Riding in wind is almost as much fun as riding in rain!
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Completely ignore it. After a few years riding you don't even notice it, or if you do notice, you're like wtf was that?? Keep your speed up and just be really ready on the bars, and just concentrate and steer. Riding in wind is almost as much fun as riding in rain!
    Riding in the rain is not that run when you have plastic meeting the ground instead of rubber
    Does make it challenging though
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    2009, Suzuki, Bandit 1250

Control the bike and think

A big thing is thinking about when the wind will hit, and were it will push you - you are then ready. For example if you come out of the protection of a bank on your side of the road, you can expect a push when you get clear.

The advice about letting the bike go is fine if you have a good place to go. Found riding in the middle land on the motorway in Wellington above the ferry terminal on a light bike a bit of active management was needed. It seems to be about the windiest place in Wellington, and you do need to keep in your lane. You need to manage the bike, and try and keep clear of a cager coming through on the down wind lane.

A lot depends on the bike, the most interesting windy ride I had was going from Wellington to Napier. Going through the Wairarapa came across a curtain sider truck on it side, blown over by the wind. Two up on the bandit was still OK, a light bike would have been different - but slowed down, went faster, constantly aware of where the wind was coming from, and were it was more likely to gust. Had to be aware and manage.

It is good advice not to grip the bars like your life depended on it, but that does not mean you do need to stay in control. Good advice about weight shifting etc, but wind is just an example of where you use your ability to control the bike, and there are a whole lot of things that give you control.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Windy conditions....counter steer same as cornering, treat wind from the right same as a turn to the right, by counter steering to left. With practice and improved reaction time, the bike will move under you but your head should be traveling fairly straight. Just leaning to differing degrees.

And brings to mind riding a fast sweeper to the right with a strong cross wind from the left....turning right leaning to left mucks with the senses.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    damn windy in Wellington today. Lived here all my life and don't think I've ever seen it this bad.

Saw a poor geezer on a guzzi get blown off at the lights on The Terrace this morning.

I expect the streets of Wgtn to be scattered with scooters today!!!!!

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post

Saw a geezer on a guzzi get blown off at the lights on The Terrace this morning.
    Chicks dig Guzzi riders!

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    damn windy in Wellington today. Lived here all my life and don't think I've ever seen it this bad.

Saw a poor geezer on a guzzi get blown off at the lights on The Terrace this morning.

I expect the streets of Wgtn to be scattered with scooters today!!!!!
    hahahaha !!

That was me !!!!!!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...inally-done-it-....

(Thanks MSTRS )

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Can't be bothered reading all the previous post but for me, especially on the Rimutakas, best way to beat strong wind/gusts is to hunker down and speed up. You seem to cut through the wind and side gusts, whereas if you slow they hit you harder.

The pain in the arse on the Takas is when poofters in cars get scared and slow down, which places any following bikes in more danger.

On a side topic, has anyone else noticed how the new hill cuttings to replace Muldoons corner, near the top of the Takas have created a terrible wind tunnel? I know one rider who got blown off going through the unsealed road works section on an otherwise calm day recently.

Nothing raising the speed limit through there wont fix.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information