Thread: New PC woes

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

New PC woes

I have a new laptop and transferred some files across to the new PC, using a memory stick. The files, my motorcycle stories/history, Journals, etc had been written using Works Word Processor.

The new PC, has Windows 7, and it wont reconize the file format.

Is there a way of converting the Works files either before or after transferring? Thanks.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    A Black One
    Dont know how but there will be a way of doing it...Google is your friend...search for a program that will convert the files.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...
    Give a man a bank he can rob the WORLD !!!

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Try opening them in word. I think that is works' successor, however there have been many generation since works iirc, so might take a bit of luck!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    A Blade or two
    Download "Open Office"
    Here

It's free and 100% awesome
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
    BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
    Download "Open Office"
    Here

plus one...
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
    Download "Open Office"
    Here

Plus 2,it really is just as good as MS Office etc..

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Open Office is shit. Don't waste time downloading it. It will completely fuck the formatting when you either open a word document or try to open a document created in open office in word.

If you want free use google docs.

But anyway Awa does this link help you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

Your original post doesn't give much info so its hard to help.

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    I would have said open office or google docs. I've had both programs do some funky shit with formatting but I expected it, they're not office after all. But unless you're doing crazy formatted stuff (which shouldn't be on office anyway ) all you really need is the text at the end of the day. Well, that's me anyway.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Open Office is shit. Don't waste time downloading it. It will completely fuck the formatting when you either open a word document or try to open a document created in open office in word.

If you want free use google docs.

But anyway Awa does this link help you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

Your original post doesn't give much info so its hard to help.
    Thanks for the link. I have read it and will follow it through tomorrow. My old laptop has Works installed and that is what I wrote my diaries in.

The new notebook has wordpad and Microsoft Office 2010 installed. M Office will open it in an alien language,( Martian, I think)

Really, I just want a simple programme that allows me to write and insert a picture with the text wrapped around it where suited. I have Open Office on the old laptop and find the 'Office' programmes far too cluttered with features i will never use.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    plus one...
    Open office could have saved my bacon a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    The files, my motorcycle stories/history, Journals, etc had been written using Works Word Processor.
    You are a dinosaur!!!! Just like meeeeeeeeeeeee

How the hell have you managed to stay connected with such outdated software?

MS Works is basically Word, all you need is how to upgrade it, over and over, and over and still keep it. Do you have hard copy? Bet you do.

Go for upgrade, if it fails, and you have hard copy, I may be convinced to retype it for you into a more modern program. Got to take care of us dinosaurs afterall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Open office could have saved my bacon a few years ago.

You are a dinosaur!!!! Just like meeeeeeeeeeeee

How the hell have you managed to stay connected with such outdated software?

MS Works is basically Word, all you need is how to upgrade it, over and over, and over and still keep it. Do you have hard copy? Bet you do.

Go for upgrade, if it fails, and you have hard copy, I may be convinced to retype it for you into a more modern program. Got to take care of us dinosaurs afterall!
    Dinosaur?? Geez! I'm older than them. Infact I was born old, ( and that's from my mother!). My old laptop is only 3 yrs old so i must've used an old hard copy. Still have the Works discs.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Sil3nt,,, Your link worked, I followed the instructions, re -'saved as' as a word 97-2003 doc and then tried transferring the articles to the new laptop again. This time they opened up in English. Thanks for your help.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Sil3nt,,, Your link worked, I followed the instructions, re -'saved as' as a word 97-2003 doc and then tried transferring the articles to the new laptop again. This time they opened up in English. Thanks for your help.
    Good to hear

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Open oriface once had a place but no longer. The Dev team threw their handbags at each other and split the project.

M$ have clicked and new machines now come with word and excel free, albeit with ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The mind boggles.

Unless you were pillioning the sheep - which is more innocent I suppose (but no less baffling)

Thread Information