Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheelie tips anyone?

Bike
    06 ZX6R
    Blog Entries

Wheelie tips anyone?

Hey guys,

so as the Tittle states, i would like to start learning how to do to sit down clutch wheelies

My bike as follows:
    05-06 ZX6R
    stock gearing
    Yoshi RS-5 Slip on with PCIII
    GPRV4 Damper

I've tried a couple of times and got the front wheel off the ground by half a wheel

Any helpful tips? first gear? second?

My biggest worry is 12 o clocking... how long do I need to pull the clutch in for? increase of throttle when the clutch is disengaged? RPM's?

obviously i cover my rear break.

any help would be appreciated

thanks again!

Dane

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Avoid doing this

The only more practical tip I have, is get a dirtbike, those things wheelie very easily, and binning doesn't cost fuck all.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    600 Sports bikes are a piece of piss to wheelie.

Have a read of this. It breaks it down quite well.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ie-a-MUST-read
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    06 ZX6R
    Blog Entries
    1. Im always in full leathers
    2. Love that video!
    3. ill check that link out thanks!

anyone in the auckland Region willing to go for a ride? i know a few really nice empty streets perfect for wheelies!

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    The only more practical tip I have, is get a dirtbike, those things wheelie very easily, and binning doesn't cost fuck all.
    Wheelying a dirtbike is nothing like a roadbike. Waste of time learning on one unless you wanna wheelie a dirtbike.
    You got your problem in one though, you're scared of flipping it. Until you get over that, you're f*cked.
    Don't worry about the rear brake either, it's just another thing to think about, and if you need it you'll probably be rooted anyway, which brings me to the most important bit, never ever take your feet off the pegs, even if the plate is digging up the asphalt, you'll still have half a chance to save it. Removing your feet gaurantees rearward weight transfer and an unpleasant landing.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC. View Post
    Wheelying a dirtbike is nothing like a roadbike. Waste of time learning on one unless you wanna wheelie a dirtbike.
    I figure you learn to balance a dirtbike with the throttle, and on a roadbike, you balance it with the throttle too. Unless it is just the lifting the wheel we are talking about, then I guess it is pretty different, no clutch needed on a CR125 shift points probably a bit harder to get right though...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

try the MCN site(motorcycle news -uk motorbike press). i know they made a tutorial series and released it on dvd, one of which was how to wheelie.

Bike
    06 ZX6R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid van cleef View Post
    try the MCN site(motorcycle news -uk motorbike press). i know they made a tutorial series and released it on dvd, one of which was how to wheelie.
    Ive seen it, not too great actually, doesnt show any clutch or throttle control and only skims over it. was hoping for a more personal approach

Bike
    kwaka & HD
    fear is your obsticle mate.the thought of the road munching your pride and joy to ribbons.........did i mention pride?
    go and practice.......in a safe place

Bike
    06 ZX6R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fokky View Post
    fear is your obsticle mate.the thought of the road munching your pride and joy to ribbons.........did i mention pride?
    go and practice.......in a safe place
    Practice i shall.ive had a couple of close calls where ive got a decent height wheelie oging then dropped the throttle straight away to stop it from flipping. too much throttle in first.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    If that is what you really want to start doing to your bike, YouTube is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Westy_mate View Post
    Ive seen it, not too great actually, doesnt show any clutch or throttle control and only skims over it. was hoping for a more personal approach
    the one ive got from mcn shows onboard cam from helmet of levers and bars with commentary. theres around 4 or 5 stages. its hosted by an american guy. each stage progressing and leading to full on stand up wheelie shananigins. ive watched it, but dont fancy getting it wrong and destroying my bike. although if i had a cheapie, id try it.

good luck.

oh.... i remember being told that it destroys your forks too. is that correct i wonder?

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    I figure you learn to balance a dirtbike with the throttle, and on a roadbike, you balance it with the throttle too. Unless it is just the lifting the wheel we are talking about, then I guess it is pretty different, no clutch needed on a CR125 shift points probably a bit harder to get right though...
    Ya, but they are still completely different, engine response, balance point, weight blah blah blah.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid van cleef View Post
    oh.... i remember being told that it destroys your forks too. is that correct i wonder?
    Only if you make a habit of crashing it down off the limiter etc, and it farks the head bearings, and even the frame if you're rough enough...
    Drew for Prime Minister!

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy_mate View Post
    Practice i shall.ive had a couple of close calls where ive got a decent height wheelie oging then dropped the throttle straight away to stop it from flipping. too much throttle in first.
    Try to roll, not snap it off, you need to control the descent as much as bringing it up. And it'll come up way higher than you think without flipping, but work your way up to it.
    Practice bringing it up, then setting it down again (gently) then slowly go higher and further each time. But take your time, get comfortable with each stage before moving on.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

Thread Information