Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping visible in the depths of winter.

Bike
    Honda PC800

Keeping visible in the depths of winter.

Ill start this by saying no matter what ya do one car driver in a thousand is gonna say--"sorry I diddnt see ya"
    Threres lots of things that can be done to make yaself more visible -dayglow clothes.Lights on,running lights in your indicators.
    paint ya bike bright yellow - or for that matter ride a big white bike with a dab of blue and red paint on the fairing.
    There are a lot of things you can do to increase ya chances of beeing seen.
    Mind you also keep in mind their windows and mirrors are likely fogged up this time of year -Kinda an unavoidable hazzard.
    Something to think about
    Last edited by FROSTY; 7th July 2005 at 14:32.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Yes running lights do make a difference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visibike1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	12269  

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Nothing will save you from the likes of the Alfa driver that didn't see the stationary bus outside AMPS this morning. He's got a great power bulge in his bonnet now.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Road positioning
    Escape routes
    Horn
    Bigger Horn
    Lights
    More Lights
    Reflective Vest
    Luck
    A grim determination to stay connected to an upright bike even though you have just been side swiped by a car at about 20kph.
    Engine bars and heavyweight pannier rack to protect you from the affore mentioned side swipe.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Well, I sometimes ride a BMW with a big white fairing (no blue or red though) . And sometimes a little red and black bike

Now, the difference in 'idiot" behaviour is quite noticeable. Far fewer people fail to give way, tailgate, pull out without signalling, etc when I'm on the BMW

How much of this is due to better visibility (white versus red/black), how much to "Oh I'd *better* see him, cos he might be a cop" , I don't know.

And even on the Whale, there's plenty of stupidty. And I don't think any bike could be more visible than that.

But, anything that can be done helps. It may not guarantee safety, but it pushes the odds down the probability curve.

Can't really add any more to what Mr Frosty has said. Those Visilights that turn your indicators into running lights sound like a lot of extra visibility and safety for a small investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Those Visilights that turn your indicators into running lights sound like a lot of extra visibility and safety for a small investment.
    ... so it's about time they passed a law to make them illegal.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    1990 CBR250R
    bit of a thread hijack here so I apologise in advance, I would really be keen on setting up the indicators on my bike to remain on when not in use..ie: flashing...how do you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by vifferman
    ... so it's about time they passed a law to make them illegal.
    Fear not,I have it here - page 4-4-1,reg 9.....a daytime running lamp must not opperate when a front fog lamp or a headlamp is in use.

So XTC is opperating his motorcycle illeagally,this is of great concern for all us motorcyclists if one of us takes the law into their own hands - I suggest a citizens arest is in order,we need to get this dangerous motorcycle off the road ASAP!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Fear not,I have it here - page 4-4-1,reg 9.....a daytime running lamp must not opperate when a front fog lamp or a headlamp is in use.

So XTC is opperating his motorcycle illeagally,this is of great concern for all us motorcyclists if one of us takes the law into their own hands - I suggest a citizens arest is in order,we need to get this dangerous motorcycle off the road ASAP!
    What's a daytime running lamp defined as?
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    What's a daytime running lamp defined as?
    Daytime running lamp means a lamp designed to emit a low intensity light forward of a vehicle to make it more easily seen in daytime.

A vehicle originaly manufactured with a daytime running lamp arrangment that differs from that which is required or permitted in this section may retain the original daytime running lamps provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer.

So,he's still guilty of an infringment - you've had more experiance than me in this sort of thing Lou...go bring him in!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2006 r6
    great thread frostmyster...
    i saw a guy on a bland well nigh invisible bike on the motor way. he whisked past me as everyone does except skoda & fiat uno drivers... BUT he had a HOT RED helmet on. you could see nothing but the li'll red button MILES away down the road then the rest of him was invisible. Not that maroon colour but HOT BLOCK RED. was very cool. snooker-ball cool. i've opted for the white billiard-ball look. block white helmet. but i quite dug the RED
    [SIGPIC]Little-RED-rinding-H O O D
    http://www.alexmonteith.com/work_detail.php?id=34#

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu

Yup. That's why mine turn off when the headlamps come on. I had to put in an extra relay just for that. Bonus though is that if the headlamp filiment fails the DRLs will automatically come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    I have a little green reflector strip on my lid, runs around the base. Cant see it during the day, but it shows up like the stuff on those police vests at night.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

I must admit the last few days when I have been out in my car...
    due to really bad weather.... I have seen a few riders out and about..
    and they have been hard to see.

Wearing black gear, no lights going on the front....

So those riders should have the lights on or something so that they can be seen.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    actually the suprise of my life was following a bloke on what turned out to be a rf900 suzuki -- Black lid black leathers and a tiny little tailight -I think one of the tailight bulbs had blown--Seems dumb to me --theyve got that huge as brake light and A TINY lil tailight
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information