Page 790 of 920 FirstFirst ... 290690740780788789790791792800840890 ... LastLast
Results 11,836 to 11,850 of 13786

Thread: Stupid World

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    You’re obviously much better informed than I, so what did Putin expect to happen? The ‘Ukrainian situation’ appears to me to be entirely of his own making, and he’s made it much worse. For both sides.

I can understand Russia being wary of it’s European neighbours, especially in the light of WWII and the Cold War, but surely the only threat from NATO in this day and age is idealogical, not territorial? Will the next generation of Russian leaders with no memory of the Cold War care so much about former Soviet or Imperial possessions?
    Idealigical is samecthreat as military.... Think of a super rich muscle dude semi retired moving in next door. Sooner or later your wife is going to be spending too much time “ chatting” to him while your at work.
    Some would say the current leader is result of a western influenced colour revolution in 2014....
    Putin is no nice guy for sure but you need to understand how his current power structures work to see what makes them feel threatened.

I do wonder though is the convoy really out of gas/food.... or are they channeling tsun Xu and maki g strength look like weakness.... they could be holding back from potential fallout zones....
    And why hasn’t Ukraine forces burned that convoy to a crisp. 40 miles long and known location.
    All those vehicles so close together, pick the weak ones start burning and job done....
    I really think there’s to more to see before we can really call what’s going on
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Afternoon,
    Thanks for the invite to comment, but I'll kindly decline to try and answer. This is a fairly "hot" topic at the moment, and I don't particularly want to comment on Putin and his possible intentions. I think that the man has already spoken clearly enough in the international forum, to those willing to listen and understand the Russian perspective.

Even if I tried to offer what I thought was a "balanced" answer (interpretation), any showing of favour for the Russian perspective would result in the inevitable "Putin apologist" label. Sorry, I can do without that.

Cheers, Viking
    Just so you know - I've not read anything that comes close to apologia for Putin.

I've had an interesting day listening to the 'Russian' perspective on this. Suffice to say I don't agree with it. It does however provide an insight into why groups of people think the way they do.

I think the other problem is very much one of Language. listening to the analysis of various aspects of this conflict from native russian speakers (which includes Ukrainians) is noticeably very different from the English reports of what was said.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Even if I tried to offer what I thought was a "balanced" answer (interpretation), any showing of favour for the Russian perspective would result in the inevitable "Putin apologist" label. Sorry, I can do without that.

Cheers, Viking
    ... and then the war started
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Well I just watched the news broadcast of the new legislation, looks like all correspondence on matters involving Russia/Ukraine is closed lest a member or this site be accused of supporting Russia.
    I hereby forthwith condemn Russian actions in Ukraine or anywhere else on the globe and fully support our supreme leader Jacinda as comrade Adern is our single source of truth.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Idealigical is samecthreat as military....
    What she said.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sbc.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	350763... just call them traitors and tell them the can feel like they're being heroes that are doing the right thing by persecuting others... to death. Still works today no matter what the subject matter.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post

Name:	Sbc.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	350763... just call them traitors and tell them the can feel like they're being heroes that are doing the right thing by persecuting others... to death. Still works today no matter what the subject matter.
    2014They're gearing up to something.. I can hear it now... "oi, pssst, the ruskies are comin after you once they've finished with Ukraine, best arm yourself quickly. We've got some cool helicopters you might be interested in, really cheap too."
    Stupid, stupid world.
    Iran first I reckon.
    2015 ‘Jewification of Great Britain’: Anti-Semitic protest planned in London
    “It’s utter disbelief that the Jews of Stamford Hill have set up their own police force which enforces their own talmudic law on the streets of a White British city,” the post reads.
    “In Stamford Hill, White people are openly spat at on the streets and viewed simply as ‘Goyim’, slave to the Jew. I refuse to ignore the on-going Jewification of my country whilst other ‘Patriotic’ organizations are busy attacking issues that don’t matter.”
    So why not Sharia?
    2015 lol... I've known about jews since I was a kid. I was often referred to as one when not handing something over. It's the same as me referring to people as white muthafuckas. It's an attitude, not a skin colour or race or nationally specific thing. His definition fits mine from my childhood and there was nothing Jewish about it, still isn't. Your choice as to what you choose to believe though .
    2014 I must give you gold stars.
    Good luck in the next election
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    I Ride No More

Bike
    Blog Entries
    heh heh heh...

Name:	inflation.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	350768

Bike
    I Ride No More

Sanctions and Nuclear Energy

Afternoon.
    It's been an interesting week, trying to keep track of - and make a record of - the various sanctions that the West has been busy applying on Russia (people, companies, products, minerals). A spreadsheet is very useful. More importantly, trying to determine what is the potential type of impact, and then to work out whether it might have any material effect.

At this stage, I'm struggling to find any Russian counter-sanctions on the West.

I recognise that the Russians have chosen to take some counter-action of a financial nature, such as:

1 - extended closure of the Russian stock market (now 18 March)
    2 - new controls on sale of foreigh assets within Russia, and on export of foreign currency capital (payments and dividends) out of the the country

but no Russian counter-sanctions (as in restriction upon supply of products or services to the West).

If anything, it's been the West continuing to say (i) we don't want your products , or (ii) we won't let them into the country , or (iii) we'll apply tariffs to them (which will make them more expensive to our own consumers).

On the energy front , I'd posted up a few thoughts earlier ( post # 11829 , page 789 on the "Stupid World" thread).

The only other energy related instances that I've noted since then have been:

1 - Countries like the UK and Canada refusing entry to Russian owned or flagged oil tankers (Sovcomflot has had to idle or to turn around a few tankers in each country)

2 - The EC publishing a plan [ intention? ] this week to wean itself off Russian oil and gas by 2030 (at least 8 years away)

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-unveils-pla...ncy/a-61047997

3 - The US announcing a "ban restricting imports" (not a sanction) of Russian oil and gas products into the US

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...an-oil-and-gas

Though it appears that not all Americans seem to believe Joe Biden when he says that he (and his administration's actions) are not responsible for the recent increases in US inflation - nor for rising petrol prices at the US petrol pump. Even after his earlier comments about US citizens being willing to "share the pain".

https://cms.zerohedge.com/s3/files/i...?itok=2wJmkJs5
    https://cms.zerohedge.com/s3/files/i...?itok=uY6O1pYE

Anyway, back to the other energy related item that interests me much more. Nuclear.

It appeared that when announcing the US energy related ban, there was a specific carve-out made for nuclear products ex Russia:

https://sputniknews.com/20220309/us-...093721032.html

The average person might have thought the supply related just to uranium ore, but it's more to do with the fact that Russia has some core competencies in (i) extraction and processing of the ore for manufacture into fuel rods (ii) being able to fashion rods in the appropriate configuration and with consistent fuel density throughout. Getting the latter wrong could result in "hot spots" within individual rods in the reactor pile, a reactor going "critical", and the risk of another Chernobyl.

The United States is heavily dependent on Russia for the supply of enriched uranium. The US presently has almost no uranium enrichment capacity for the supply of fuel to its nuclear power plants (as existing US technology is severely outdated). In 2016, the US even halted the construction of a centrifuge enrichment plant, its engineers proving unable to master the technology. Meanwhile, Rosatom's share of the global uranium enrichment market continues to grow, and accounts for 50% of global production, according to the World Nuclear Association.

So when the Russians say they have taken control of Ukrainian nuclear power plants, it has probably been for a combination of reasons (i.e. to avoid terrorist attack; to ensure continuity of plant operation and power generation; to ensure safe refueling; to ensure safe storage of spent fuel). Believe me (or not) as you wish.

https://www.power-technology.com/new...nuclear-plant/

But regarding nuclear fuel sanctions, the US might not be the only party affected in this respect. Many nuclear plants within a number of eastern European countries might be similarly affected. Hopefully Google Translate works, and you can click on and read the following Russian article:

https://vz-ru.translate.goog/economy..._x_tr_pto=wapp

This sanctions business is tricky business to get right. Especially given some unexpected side effects (only Putin could be that devious):

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/...-energy-crisis

[ Edit 1 ]
    US Politicians Propose Sanctions on Supply of Russian Nuclear Materials
    So much for US critical thinking:
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...um-2022-03-17/

[ Edit 2 ]

New Nuclear Power Plant in Operation
    https://www.rt.com/business/551795-f...o-power-plant/

[ Edit 3 ]

Russian Counter Sanctions
    In a sign of escalating tensions between the US and Russia, where Russia has been severely sanctioned in recent weeks, the Russian space agency, Roscosmos, has just said it will stop delivering rocket engines to the US.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Iran lobbing missiles too. Wonder how that fits into the narrative.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    How lucky is this cop????

Bike
    It was on the good
    How do you spell whiplash?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    How do you spell whiplash?

Sorry for the poor driver but lucky cop!

I always dreaded that happening - particularly to me.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    husaberg
    holey shit....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information