Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington Region Training Days

Bike
    So old you won't care

Wellington Region Training Days

This Sunday's one is full (I'm on it and yes the weathers looking - erm wet).

The sunday afters one for newer riders is also full( aimed at those who hold a learners or restricted licence and are working towards getting their full licence. )

However, there are others coming up;

In Lower Hutt - Sunday 9 October - for experienced riders

In Wellington - Saturday 17 September - for newer riders, Saturday 1 October - for experienced riders, 5 November for newer riders, 26 November for experienced riders

In Kapiti - 12 November, for newer riders

Newer riders courses are also open to moped/scooter riders who hold a car licence.

Jan Simmonds (Road Safety Coordinator) can take bookings for any of the Hutt or Wellington courses, T 04 570 6730, M 027 480 7206, or Jan.Simmons@huttcity.govt.nz

For the Kapiti course, the contact person is Jane Pearson jane.pearson@kapiticoast.govt.nz 027 555 5854

My course cost me $20 and its a full day. Theory in the am, practise in the pm

Far out - $20 and a few hours of my time? Compared to how long you would be in A&E after a little off and how much you would spend on a helmet its a friggin bargain. Why wouldnt anyone do this?

Come on - summers coming and some of you folks are a bit rusty so pick up the phone and DO it.....

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Sorry, noticed a mistake in this post, should be November 5 for newer riders, not October 5 (now corrected above)

Come on - got to be a bargain....

Bike
    2000 A1 Kawasaki ZX-12R
    Just spent an awesome day with Andrew and his off-sider Jason in Lower Hutt completing the course.. practicing emergency braking in the wet is a confidence inspiring event and to everyone who participated in the course I tip my hat to you.. the classroom stuff was loads of interactive fun and apart from having to wear a feather mask and catch a hacky sack on my knees I had an absolute ball..
    I thoroughly recommend that anyone who wants to brush up on their riding books a spot on the next course.. It was the best $20 I have spent ever!!
    "oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Good to see you there man. It was an astonishing value for money day. That course is usually $190 and you can do it via this subsidised scheme for $20??? Outrageous BARGAIN!

Put it this way - If I was to visit you in hospital as you are laying there with a collapsed lung and broken bones thinking of your smashed up bike and tell you, look, I can make this all go away and put everything right for 6 hours of your time and $20 you would LEAP on it right???? Well sign up for one of these courses NOW!

I was stagged how quickly I could pull the Triumph up on a wet surface once I got my head around it.....

For what its worth.... I visited my daughter and her partner before heading home to Kapiti.... Missed the break in the weather and rode home in freezing heavy rain noting how much smoother I was riding and how unstressed I was by it! Hope you got home over the hill before the snow socked in....

Bike
    2000 A1 Kawasaki ZX-12R
    got over the hill before the snow hit but was at my partner's for a while and when it came time to head home I got to have my first experience riding in snow this evening.. man what a buzz, I was covered in the stuff when I got home..
    I reckon this weekend I'm gonna bleed through the front and rear brakes and see if
    I can't cure the wooden feel of the rear and just freshen up the fluid throughout.. I had a great time today and will be emailing about the road course Andrew mentioned..
    "oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Sweet - some brakes are almost naturally 'wooden' due to relative sizes of master cylinder / caliper etc etc etc so dont stress - it seemed to stop OK ;-)

Funny how this thread is soooo quiet and yet accident threads are sooooo busy...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    This training is subsidised from your rego costs so claim some back by doing the course guys!

I'll sign up for the on road one as well - free training....

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This training is subsidised from your rego costs so claim some back by doing the course guys!

I'll sign up for the on road one as well - free training....
    Brilliant bloody idea this is !
    Few i ride with (and myself) could probably do with a bit of this !

Might go into the site and see what i can print off to post on the notice board at the club< Any links Paul ?
    Ya wouldn't have to take much out of the course to make it worth $20
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Brilliant bloody idea this is !
    Few i ride with (and myself) could probably do with a bit of this !

Might go into the site and see what i can print off to post on the notice board at the club< Any links Paul ?
    Ya wouldn't have to take much out of the course to make it worth $20
    I'd either talk to the Hutt Valley lady or check on www.roadsafe.co.nz and see what they say.

Get enough bods together and they may even do a special course just for you and follow up with an on road course. Andrew is a very knowledgable guy but may not relate to the grizzled %1 type too well.... If people can open their minds though he has a lot of knowledge to offer...

Bike
    A few
    I'd either talk to the Hutt Valley lady or check on www.roadsafe.co.nz and see what they say.

Get enough bods together and they may even do a special course just for you and follow up with an on road course. Andrew is a very knowledgable guy but may not relate to the grizzled %1 type too well.... If people can open their minds though he has a lot of knowledge to offer...
    Cheers Paul, all good with the grizzled look lol, there aint really any that fall into the 1% cat. in our lot !
    But the open the mind comment may be the hard sell lol

Thinking of Heidi and I initially, she's only a year into her full and well, i have plenty of bad habbits that could do with a shake up !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Kate
    Paul, I"M curious as to why you did the one in Hutt and not the one in Kapiti. Was the Hutt one a more advanced course?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Sorry - missed your reply.

I didnt know there was a Kapiti one when I booked and it is for newer riders. The one I did was for 'experienced' riders (I've held a cat 6 for 39 years so i guess that qualifies me?)

If you are thinking of doing one - I would totally recommend it. $20? Crazy price and lots of upside....

Bike
    Kate
    I did the Kapiti one with the daughter's boyfriend. They ended up running two, one in the morning for scooters and afternoon for bikes (there was a 150 scooter there). Mixed skill level. I've had the cat 6 for about 20 years but still found it challenging enough. Keep your eyes peeled the council co-ordinator (Jane) was talking about running an advanced on and certainly got a positive response from those present.
    I found the advertising was scooter centric and this is how I nearly missed the Kapiti course. A shame as there are so many motorcyclists that commute and otherwise ride on the coast that probably also missed the opportunity. There were only about 8 of us on the motorcycle course which suited me.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Sadly - most motorcyclists are a little resistent to these types of training courses. Its a shame because they do offer considerable value...

Bike
    Kate
    Sadly - most motorcyclists are a little resistent to these types of training courses. Its a shame because they do offer considerable value...
    agreed. Watching the guy on the cruiser learn to do the figure of 8's is a tiny space when he thought it would be impossible was interesting, crikey I think most of us on the more sporty bikes thought we were going to have problems never mind the big cruiser. Also practicing emergency braking before you need it is invaluable.

Thread Information