View Poll Results: Do you modify your bikes?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nah, modern bikes are pretty well flawless out of the factory

3 2.83%
  • I like to make subtle changes to suit me, but nothing serious

47 44.34%
  • I would, but I just can't be arsed or I'm not sure what needs improving

7 6.60%
  • I like to make my bikes faster and better handling, but nothing too radical

19 17.92%
  • I change as much as I can get away with.

30 28.30%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modifying bikes - do you do it?

Bike
    Triumph's answer to the GN250
    Blog Entries

Modifying bikes - do you do it?

I grew up when bikes were generally pretty crappy out of the crate and if you didn't fuck with them they were often unreliable, handled and braked badly and lacked power, so a lot of bikes got decent shocks and rubber, a second disc up front was popular, an exhaust system that didn't weigh 200 kgs and rust away in a week (or expansion chambers), lights that worked etc.

Then on the other side, some of us were into old Brit bikes, and fancied ourselves as Kiwi versions Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda riding across NZ in search of drugs or something, so extended forks, hardtail frames, 6 bend bars and custom paint were common.

I've never been able to leave a bike alone, and everything I have ever owned has been fucked with - sometimes they've even been improved! So i'm curious as to who else is into modding their bikes, or not as the case may be.
    Don't blame me, I voted Green.

Bike
    bandit
    I used to - came from roughly the same period as you - I could never really afford to build what I wanted so I spend my time keeping Triumphs and BSAs on the road ... but had raised bars, different shocks ... repaints .. I was building a BSA A7 as a bit of a chopper - till I decided I wanted to be a rider not a mechanic and sold all the Brits ..

Now, I think bikes are pretty damm good the way the come out ('cept Harleys) so I've done little to mine ...

The BMW was a bog standard 1990s Paris Dakar so I left it alone ... My Honda FT400 was my commuter scooter so I left it alone ...

The two Bandits are wonderful - I put a fly screen on the 650 (looks cool but all it seems to do is catch bugs) and an aftermarket muffler on the 1250 to replace the bloody heavy standard one ... I'm eyeing up a tail tidy and hugger for the 1250 .. but I need a bit of spare cash first .. so all cosmetic and not much handling or power mods ... (maybe some braided lines for the 1250 ...)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Triumph's answer to the GN250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I decided I wanted to be a rider not a mechanic and sold all the Brits ..
    I remember that experience well. I sold a 72 Bonnie and bought a 750 Four, and while my mates all thought I was a dog fucker, suddenly I had more power, reliability I couldn't get my head around and i could park it outside the pub and it would be there when I left. But the brakes were crap even compared to my twin leading shoe drums and it handled like a walrus on skates, so I fitted a 4 into 1, a second disc, fork brace, Koni shocks and gave it a custom paint job. Then I got my hands on a big bore kit and a set of smoothbore carbs, big valves, hot cam etc, and it was going really well until I rode it into an outside toilet after drinking most of a bottle of tequila and completely buggered the frame and front end. After that it ended up with a custom frame, extended forks, 21 inch wheel etc, so it went like the clappers but handled like crap. I swapped it for an old 61 Chev Impala which actually went round corners better.
    Don't blame me, I voted Green.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Mostly minor things...

1) Horn that is actually audible
    2) Heated grips - helps with the Dupeytrens scarring in the right hand
    3) GPS, mount and power source
    4) Radar Detector, mount and power source
    5) Ciggie socket to power mini compressor in case of puncture.
    6) Distribution box to run all those accessories
    7) Speedo-healer if the OEM is too inaccurate
    and maybe
    8) After market zorst
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2008 Suzuki VL250
    Have a 250cc bike, so absolutely no point in customising it.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Yes. There is always going to be something worth changing, be it better running, handling, looking, or sound. Or all of the above!
    However modern bikes are more complete packages than the older ones, so perhaps it is harder to make that first step into modifying them?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    DRZ MOTARD, BUCKET RACER
    DONT ! ! ! ! my motard just been in for a wof, non oem brakes (aftermarket disk, calipers, caliper relocator/adaptor for larger disk, 17inch motard rims ) now i need a low volume cert due to not being factory
    AS SAID BY A WISE DRUNK MAN "YOU FELLAS CAN TAKE THAT BBQ AND F#CK OFF"

Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I wanted to be a rider not a mechanic ..
    I wanted to be both - and still am. I'm not interested in bikes I can't work on. I always considered unreliability to be an advantage because it gave me more opportunity to work on my bike....otherwise I'd just pull it apart anyway like I do now.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by NOID View Post
    DONT ! ! ! ! my motard just been in for a wof, non oem brakes (aftermarket disk, calipers, caliper relocator/adaptor for larger disk, 17inch motard rims ) now i need a low volume cert due to not being factory
    Really? The inspector noticed that? Or did you tell them?

Bike
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF250, 2006 GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkwing View Post
    You can add a digital watch attached by Velcro lol

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I crash 'em and build 'em better, shinier, lighter, stupider. I'll modify anything I can get my hands on I'm just lacking in decent tools these days (yet I have an obsession for original classic cars.... )
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Why not? I had one of my 250's for 3 and a half years, poured countless hours into it making it what I wanted from a 250. Achieved that and sold it. I still want it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Bikes!
    Why ever not? My 250 is on the verge of becoming my most modified bike!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like you consider modifying bikes as more the performance/handling/braking. I said change a little, but I consider modifying as anything over stock.

Previous bikes, performance mods was a standard thing, exhausts, air filters, tuning, and depending on the bike, other things.

I think I'm getting old though (and I'm only in my twenties). The BMW has no performance changes, but thousands has been spent on guards and protectors (that have, ahem, been rather well tested) and electronic accessories.

As with others, I simply don't have stock bikes, even the GSA, one of the most heavily equipped bikes from the factory, has had a bunch of things added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    My problem is that I have now ridden and owned bikes with decent suspension. It all started with a fucked rear shock in my NC30 trackbike, and progressed from there to respring/emulators etc etc. Now its Ohlins for life!

And now I have to budget that not insignificant cost into any purchase.

that of course comes under the heading of "credit card ninja" farkling. But thats how I roll.

I did really enjoy doing up that CB400F a few years back, though I should never have sold it. stupid.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information