Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you have done?

Bike
    Bandit

What would you have done?

Ok,

bout 10:15 this morning I'm heading south just gone over the harbour bridge. On my left is a lane that ends (round about here). In front, behind and to the right is traffic. I look over to the left and a Jeep is coming up and want's to merge. He gets level with me so I get on the horn (Stebel Magnum), no change, he's still coming over. I'm just in front of the the drivers window and he is just sat there looking at me with a smug grin. By this time we are now sharing the lane that I was in. Luckily the traffic breaks a bit and I can move to the lane on the right.

It turns out that we are both heading the same way and we stop at a set of red lights. I asked him what he thought he was doing. His reply was that as "we" were merging "he" had right of way. I told him that you can't merge into a lane when it's occupied, his reply "Well I was safe".

What would you have done to get out of his way?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    KB does not require a high standard of membership behavior.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Merge like a zip - if he was trying to push into the same gap the car in front of him merged into then he's being a bit of a dick, if you weren't letting anyone merge between you and the car in front then you were. Boils down to the whole courteous driving thing.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Depends how genuinely bad it was... Even in that story, there's a big element of unknown.

Usually I get over anything but life risking really quickly... as it ain't worth anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Mobility scootah
    The comment he made about being safe, I suspect I may have changed his perspective.
    Midwives. [Helping people out]

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i got no problem letting richard craniums like this go in front of me....even in my 1600kg car

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Whatever you do don't give them the finger.If he's been smoking p for the last few days he's liable to run you off the road.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss View Post
    Merge like a zip - if he was trying to push into the same gap the car in front of him merged into then he's being a bit of a dick, if you weren't letting anyone merge between you and the car in front then you were. Boils down to the whole courteous driving thing.
    No car had merged at this point, he was first in line and was initially behind me. At no point had I past him. I always do the merge like a zip thing for cars that are level or in front of me.

Bike
    Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by MIXONE View Post
    Whatever you do don't give them the finger.If he's been smoking p for the last few days he's liable to run you off the road.
    Haha. He was an older fella in a very nice Jeep.. But ya never know.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by GOONR View Post
    No car had merged at this point, he was first in line and was initially behind me. At no point had I past him. I always do the merge like a zip thing for cars that are level or in front of me.
    In that case he was being a cock - I would have checked I could split, then given the guy the finger, said seeya fuckwit, then casually split down the motorway - making sure I could get away (and probably getting off at 4-5 exits after my one just to make sure he didnt catch me).
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i got no problem letting richard craniums like this go in front of me....even in my 1600kg car
    Neither, but in this case if I had slowed down quickly enough to let him get to the point where he was in front of me I could have had the car behind rear end me.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,

Thumbs up

Ring the Police with a report of this particular vehicle and driver behaving suspiciously around primary schools...

Revenge. A dish best served cold
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Gone
    I *always* let these wankers go. I've got nothing to prove.

Bike
    Mine
    If possible I like to show drivers I can't be pushed around. If not I just let them go.

Last time someone did this to me I got in front of them and, with one eye on him in my mirror, gradually decellerated and stopped in front of him. The look on his face was one of "oh shit I can't push you around afterall". I sat there for 10 seconds and took off.

Had a similar thing happen to me more than once when I used to cycle everywhere many years ago. Gave the driver a hell of a fright when my hit their window.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I would have been pissed off with the guy and depending upon my mood, he may well have lost a door mirror.

All I'd say is don't be intimidated by such bullies. If he's in a nice car then he is unlikeloy to run into you and may have been testing your nerve

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by GOONR View Post
    Ok,

bout 10:15 this morning I'm heading south just gone over the harbour bridge. On my left is a lane that ends (round about here). In front, behind and to the right is traffic. I look over to the left and a Jeep is coming up and want's to merge. He gets level with me so I get on the horn (Stebel Magnum), no change, he's still coming over. I'm just in front of the the drivers window and he is just sat there looking at me with a smug grin. By this time we are now sharing the lane that I was in. Luckily the traffic breaks a bit and I can move to the lane on the right.

It turns out that we are both heading the same way and we stop at a set of red lights. I asked him what he thought he was doing. His reply was that as "we" were merging "he" had right of way. I told him that you can't merge into a lane when it's occupied, his reply "Well I was safe".

What would you have done to get out of his way?
    i would have broken his window with my fist, then used a shard of glass from his own window to slash a big gushing cut in his face, but im an angry person,

Thread Information