Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down with no brakes

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10

Slowing down with no brakes

I just kinda got a half glance at the the other day so stand to be corrected but there is a new crash show with scott dixon and greg murphy on tv.
    scott dixon was demostrating how to slow a vehicle down with no brakes... and suggested AGAINST leaving it in gear but to get to neutral as quickly as you can...

Did I hear right? worst advice EVER!!.. I cant imagine that I heard it right or he might have been demonstrating something different to what I thought he was.....??

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I think you heard wrong.

I also think that was for when the accelerator was jammed and you still had brakes.

I think?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I think you heard wrong.

I also think that was for when the accelerator was jammed and you still had brakes.

I think?
    That would certainly make more sense..

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    just double clutch that shit into reverse, result!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    with a stuck throttle wouldnt you just turn the car off or hit the kill switch? or in the case of a honda.. pull over and ride to the left so you dont hold people up.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    with a stuck throttle wouldnt you just turn the car off or hit the kill switch?
    Gotta make the program chick friendly and hitting the rev-limiter has no consequence, however losing power steering and braking power would be the end of the world.

or in the case of a honda.. pull over and ride to the left so you dont hold people up.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Bandit
    I just kinda got a half glance at the the other day so stand to be corrected but there is a new crash show with scott dixon and greg murphy on tv.
    scott dixon was demostrating how to slow a vehicle down with no brakes... and suggested AGAINST leaving it in gear but to get to neutral as quickly as you can...

Did I hear right? worst advice EVER!!.. I cant imagine that I heard it right or he might have been demonstrating something different to what I thought he was.....??
    I think you heard right, I watched and thought wtf!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    KB does not require a high standard of membership behavior.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    In all fairness, panic entices you to make rash decisions

I once started a car (7 series BMW) at work, just so I could turn the steering. What I didn't know was that the transmission was buggered and it had a habit of jumping into gear. Once it had selected reverse (with me standing by the front guard), it began to move with some vigor dragging me along holding the drivers door and A-pillar. All I could do was put my foot under the front wheel..........and of course it just ran over my foot (steelcaps) and kept trucking.

Anyway, thank god there was a Mitsi Lancer parked sideways blocking the open door. BMW stopped with its towball embedded in the Lancer door......................but I didn't scratch the Beemer
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    suzuki
    watch the Flintstones, they used their feet quite effectively

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    with a stuck throttle wouldnt you just turn the car off or hit the kill switch? or in the case of a honda.. pull over and ride to the left so you dont hold people up.

If anybody is still riding a honda ... they already do ...

Apparently ... it takes more than a kill switch to kill a honda ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    It was definitely advice for a stuck throttle - wouldn't want to turn the key too far & lock the steering.... and easier to take it out of gear than trying to find the key!
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    In all fairness, panic entices you to make rash decisions

I once started a car (7 series BMW) at work, just so I could turn the steering. What I didn't know was that the transmission was buggered and it had a habit of jumping into gear. Once it had selected reverse (with me standing by the front guard), it began to move with some vigor dragging me along holding the drivers door and A-pillar. All I could do was put my foot under the front wheel..........and of course it just ran over my foot (steelcaps) and kept trucking.

Anyway, thank god there was a Mitsi Lancer parked sideways blocking the open door. BMW stopped with its towball embedded in the Lancer door......................but I didn't scratch the Beemer
    Bloody dodgy Beemers! Poor Misti had to pay the price.. Just as well your foot didn't pay the price though eh..

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Bloody dodgy Beemers! Poor Misti had to pay the price..
    Funny thing was the dealer showed up about 10 minutes later to warn us about the transmission

Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Just as well your foot didn't pay the price though eh..
    Yeah it took another year for that to happen
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Funny thing was the dealer showed up about 10 minutes later to warn us about the transmission
    Sounds about right, information you could have done with when it first turned up and so forth...

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Do what some American did a few months back. When his Lexus (?) accelerator got stuck full open, he had time to phone 111 on his mobile to ask for help before he crashed.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Thread Information