Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MB100 development

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Not so re the kart tracks. One finds that in between corners with low gearing you can run out of revs & not want to shift up. If the power tails off abruptly (as my 50 does) it limits your choice & slows you down.

Putting holes in pistons while can be useful is a bit late in the stroke & inlet area is easily added either side. Further, into the transfer area around the barrel is possible with some case porting, but have to be careful with sealing the barrel after.

125 aircooled on an MB cannot be done purely with a boring bar. The steel runs out & you are in ally in some parts of the bore, or so I am told, I can't see how you could plate that. You could of course stroke the crank & just bore to 52mm. Not sure what DC did to his bike (& I'm wondering who Grumph is at the moment).
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Not sure what DC did to his bike.
    I'm not 100% sure but its 118cc running a early aircooled cr125 piston, not stroked at all. Also from memory he lost top end hp but it become easier to ride (less peaky) after going to the big bored, carb restricted option.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Actually I might rescind my comments a little. A 54 bore would take you to 113cc & perhaps the guy who told me was trying to hog out to 125 went through. That being said it must be whisker thin at 54mm or seemingly a ticlkle bigger for 118.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30hP Dyno Runs.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	247623

Red line is Speedpros 30 hp MB100, note the wide power spread.

Blue line is TeeZees attempt with a GP125 but he gave up on it because it didn't look like it was going to be very rideable around a tight track.

The Green line is TeeZees Suzuki GP125 running a 24mm carb and he believes he will do better with it because it will be easier to ride on a short tight track than his 30hp but peaky engine.

HP is not everything, as well as hp you need a good power spread like Speedpros.

Bike
    2001 Suzuki FXR150
    Right, I've stripped the barrel off and found piston is only running one compression ring. Is this standard practice or a dodgey legacy of the last owner (given what Yow Ling has said)?

Carb is essentially only very slightly canted forward with the rubber inlet manifold setup. Running 25:1 Avgas/2T mix. Only thing I've noticed with respect to fuel starvation is when the fuel tank runs low on gas the float bowl doesn't fill on right hand corners, but I think that is down to the fuel pick up point from the tank and the routing of the fuel line, nothing else.

Fuel tank outlet is on lower left side of tank, fuel pickup on carb is right hand side. Fuel line drops below level of fuel intake on carb (might be able to be changed). When fuel level gets low, fuel pressure drops, fuel wont flow left to right across the bike (centripedal force and all that) and then up to carb fuel pick up, so supply is interupted. Just need to keep minimum of 3 ltr in the tank to stop this, unless anyone knows of a suitable carb that has a left hand fuel pickup.
    Hilleye

If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, add a little more fully synth 2T to the mix.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    post some fotos, we all want to see wots in there
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    2001 Suzuki FXR150
    Alright so I'm definitely wrong about the rings. Its actually been a while since I had the barrel off and I appear to have made a mistake. I therefore retract any statements that infer the previous owner was dodgey. (but I'm sure I only saw one last time because I remember thinking that's weird).

So carb setup and fuel line routing are shown as is the exhaust and exhaust port. I'm away this weekend, but will endevour to get inlet port and internal cylinder photos up as soon as possible.

Name:	101_1259.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	247634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1251.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	247633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1250.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	247632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1249.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	375.4 KB 
ID:	247631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1247.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	462.3 KB 
ID:	247630
    Hilleye

If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, add a little more fully synth 2T to the mix.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilleye View Post
    I therefore retract any statements that infer the previous owner was dodgey.
    Don't bother with any retractions because he definitely was

It used to go pretty good before it got Dawsoned
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    hmm, that looks a bit familiar. Didn't the rear shocks make a kind of pyramid shape inward? I just remember on my way past every few laps on my 50

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilleye View Post
    Only thing I've noticed with respect to fuel starvation is when the fuel tank runs low on gas the float bowl doesn't fill on right hand corners, but I think that is down to the fuel pick up point from the tank and the routing of the fuel line, nothing else.
    A possible, sort of cure could be a small header tank made from a cheap car fuel filter.

Name:	24-38 Carb.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	247647

This is something TeeZee made from a SuperCheap filter. The trick to making a filter into a header tank is to drill a small hole in the top and cut a small piece of the fuel line connector barb off and glue it into the hole for an air vent. The fuel comes in through the black hose at the top and the air escapes up the clear plastic vent hose that runs from the vent to up higher than the fuel tank. In this picture the outlet at the bottom of the filter/header tank has not been connected to the carb yet.

With a breather the filter now works as a filter and header tank, something similar should last long enough to get you around r/hand corners and then refill again going down the straight.

Name:	A Pumper Carb 2 009.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	247652

TeeZee also fitted a tap to it, this makes it easy to take the carb off without spilling all the gas in the header tank. He fitted the header tank to his bike because we were seeing air locks/bubbles in the fuel line during heavy runs on the dyno, it works a treat, now the line stays full all the time.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I'm not 100% familiar with those carbs but I think the little white plastic fitting next to the fuel inlet hose needs to be blanked off. Without that you will have a hard time tuning it. Otherwise it looks OK(ish). Make the effort to get a good pipe on it and if you want get a port rubbing and send it to me. I'll run the software over it and see where it's at. If it's old-school you may be better off dropping the cylinder and reporting.
    Looks like a reasonable sort of bucket to get going on.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    I'm not 100% familiar with those carbs but I think the little white plastic fitting next to the fuel inlet hose needs to be blanked off. Without that you will have a hard time tuning it. Otherwise it looks OK(ish). Make the effort to get a good pipe on it and if you want get a port rubbing and send it to me. I'll run the software over it and see where it's at. If it's old-school you may be better off dropping the cylinder and reporting.
    Looks like a reasonable sort of bucket to get going on.
    Not sure on that fitting. The only one at the back I can remember was the power jet. Although as the carbs are matched pair they may not be identical left and right.
    On my bike with a TZR carb and a RD inlet I put a little PVC spacer to take up the gap in the inlet rubber as the TZR has a shorter spigot than the RD carb does.
    The top bung is the oil feed is blocked off. Dave will say to put a boost bottle there (Just Kidding Dave) leave it as is.
    He asked about the one ring earlier that OK I only used to run one the theory was less wear on the cylinder and less friction I doubt if it really makes a measurable difference by I couldn't resist doing it.
    Is it a quirk of the picture or is there a spacer bellow the barrel.

EDIT the PJ was Brass I will have a look in the shed.
    Ps put a uni filter on it I can feel the dirt getting in there already.

PS the 125 can be done using a non competition barrel with a 57mm piston its available from new too.

The MB50 ignition has a high speed retard function the Mb100 has a advancing ignition.

The pipe dimensions also looks a little odd by eye. But the pipe doesn't care what it looks like I guess.

Please post a pic of the full bike I can't figure out the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Please post a pic of the full bike I can't figure out the frame.
    The frame is an MT125 copy, there were two of them built and they raced in the NZ 125 champs back in Medieval times
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    . . .
    PS the 125 can be done using a non competition barrel with a 57mm piston its available from new too.
    . . .
    Are you sure? Dave D said he went through the liner trying to bore it. The steel is a wasted shape with ally cast over so it is hard to tell where the least thickness is.

Bike
    Several
    Looks quite good, reasonably well developed.

I would guess there may be one or two small things holding it back, the pipe may be one, looks a bit long and shallow tapered for much power but Its always a guess just looking at photos.

What else ain't working right is the million doll.. oh wait, this is buckets... the $400 question.
    (I had to think of an amount that makes me go "gosh, that alot of coin")

Exhaust port ain't standard but doesn't look massive either. (observation only, I'm not ready to start handing out advice there!)

I think speedpro is correct about the white plastic bit. Some similar carbs have a bleed screw there instead, I've had better results with that setup so far but there are likely to be other factors involved.

Speedpro's offer is a good one and it would be well worth taking him up on it.
    Heinz Varieties

Thread Information