Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: MB100 development

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilleye View Post
    We checked the balance of the flywheel before machining, it wasn't great. Nothing else seems to be, why should the flywheel be any different right. For some reason the exterior turned out to have a slight eliptical shape, which I found out when machining it on the lathe, anyway at least its an actual circle now. Anyione else found this phenomenon on an MB flywheel? Thickness is now uniform all the way round the circumference and balance now appears to be better. Time will tell. Worst comes to worst I have two other MB flywheels to fall back on.
    One of them was already lightened to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2001 Suzuki FXR150
    Well, threw the motor back together quickly to see if it would run after sorting the flywheel free wheeling on the crank issue. Seems I definitely got the flywheel mating to the crank shaft taper sorted, no way is it coming off without a flywheel puller. Alas now no spark, so no running, so no racing today.

Bike turns over when pushed, with no rattles or any other symptoms of anything untoward happening, except it fails to spring into life as hoped.
    Hilleye

If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, add a little more fully synth 2T to the mix.

Bike
    husaberg
    Well, threw the motor back together quickly to see if it would run after sorting the flywheel free wheeling on the crank issue. Seems I definitely got the flywheel mating to the crank shaft taper sorted, no way is it coming off without a flywheel puller. Alas now no spark, so no running, so no racing today.

Bike turns over when pushed, with no rattles or any other symptoms of anything untoward happening, except it fails to spring into life as hoped.
    What do the stators coils look like now i guess the flywheel was hitting them.

Also my experience with ignitions Is it is nearly always the dud connections or earthing and a lot of the time it is a kill switch issue. My 2 cents.
    assuming it was running prior that is.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    2001 Suzuki FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    What do the stators coils look like now i guess the flywheel was hitting them.

Also my experience with ignitions Is it is nearly always the dud connections or earthing and a lot of the time it is a kill switch issue. My 2 cents.
    assuming it was running prior that is.
    Once i get the flywheel off again I'll show you what the stator coils look like. Waiting for my flywheel puller to be given back.

Bike has two kill switches in series. One for ordinary shut down, which is essentially brand new and the other 'pull out' one required for street racing, which was on the bike when I got it. Shouldn't be two hard to test continuity of the circuit through them as they're both always 'on' unless pushed or pulled. Will need help with anything more complicated than that.
    Hilleye

If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, add a little more fully synth 2T to the mix.

Bike
    2001 Suzuki FXR150
    After thinking on things a bit and looking at some other H100 and CR80 ignitions seems like the little pickup for the CDI might have been a casualty of the rogue flywheel and this might be the reason for the lack of spark. Will confirm once I can get the flywheels off both the MB motors to conduct a direct comparison. Couple of you actually highlighted this as a potential issue way back after I identified the flywheel rotating on the crankshaft so kudos to you guys.

Here's a picture of the ignition before I placed the flywheel on. Bracket was centrally positioned in the slots (third bolt has been left out for the picture to allow viewers to see relative position), wondering what the likely impact of rotating clockwise or anticlockwise would be (obviously it'll advance or retard the ignition, but what impact will this likely have on engine power and delivery).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1331.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	250997

Can any of you identify from the picture whether the pick up has been munted?
    Hilleye

Bike
    husaberg
    After thinking on things a bit and looking at some other H100 and CR80 ignitions seems like the little pickup for the CDI might have been a casualty of the rogue flywheel and this might be the reason for the lack of spark. Will confirm once I can get the flywheels off both the MB motors to conduct a direct comparison. Couple of you actually highlighted this as a potential issue way back after I identified the flywheel rotating on the crankshaft so kudos to you guys.

Here's a picture of the ignition before I placed the flywheel on. Bracket was centrally positioned in the slots (third bolt has been left out for the picture to allow viewers to see relative position), wondering what the likely impact of rotating clockwise or anticlockwise would be (obviously it'll advance or retard the ignition, but what impact will this likely have on engine power and delivery).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1331.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	250997

Can any of you identify from the picture whether the pick up has been munted?
    is the steel sticky out bit still sticking out a bit. You can't see it in the pic because it is looking straight on.
    The ignition windings looks like it has got hot before. Have you got a multimeter if you have test the there is the figures in the manual. in fact the manual has a good check list in it.

the ignition timing std is around 15 odd degrees i think (check the Manual). If you advance the timing so it fires a greater distance before TDC it may run a little better esp down low if you retard the timing it may rev a little better right up top. It may also over heat in either direction if you overdo it.
    All engines like different timing depending on tune it is a bit of trail and error. Be warned get in someone real experianced before attempting to play much with the timing to much and get used to checking the plug and lifting the head regularly too.
    Most ruined engines are a result of over advanced ignition chasing that elusive crisp edge. same with jetting some people like to live dangerously.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Several
    The changes husaberg mentions don't need much either.
    A change of minutes (as in fraction of a degree) can sometimes make a noticeable difference.
    Other times it may take a couple of degrees to make any noticeable difference.
    If it is waay out and still runs it is going to be bad.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    The changes husaberg mentions don't need much either.
    A change of minutes (as in fraction of a degree) can sometimes make a noticeable difference.
    Other times it may take a couple of degrees to make any noticeable difference.
    If it is waay out and still runs it is going to be bad.
    Looking at the pic closely it appears DD may have slotted the the stator to allow for a greater range of timing changes.
    Maybe he could enlighten you to what initial advance he ran.
    In fact he could give you full account of the mods comp etc.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    BSA A10
    Fuck you're a funny man he'd be lucky if he knew what day it was
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    husaberg
    Looking at the pic closely it appears DD may have slotted the the stator to allow for a greater range of timing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Fuck you're a funny man he'd be lucky if he knew what day it was
    In fairness to me I did say maybe and could.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    2001 Suzuki FXR150
    Pretty sure those plates come slotted.
    Hilleye

Bike
    husaberg
    Pretty sure those plates come slotted.
    Yes but looking at the slots they do not look even. The holes have a "chainsaw file" look to them. It could be a the angle of the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slots.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	251094  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    well it doesn't locate on the holes so no harm. Always best to rotate the plate anticlockwise & work from the most retarded position as a starting point.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    & work from the most retarded position as a starting point.
    Yes as Dave mentions it does not locate on the slots. But it does allow for a more potentially dangerous level of timing adjustments which it what i was trying to point out. With the std slots it is pretty hard to do any damage tinkering.
    BTW Dave it is Time you got more PC.
    I think you are "Special" .

I must admit it sounds kind of right "Special Dave"

I just realised in hindsight some people way take umberance to this comparison I made in jest. I would like to apologize to any one who is differently abled or know or loves some who is for any comparisons I may have made to Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Special Dave.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	251328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Dave 2.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	251341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Dave 3.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	251343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Dave 4.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	251346  
    Last edited by husaberg; 22nd November 2011 at 22:10. Reason: I just realised in hindsight some people may take umberance to the remark I made in jest
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Tempted to get some "special Dave fan club" shirts made

Thread Information