Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get started?

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Don't forget to ride outside of your license regulation and/ or have no insurance. This is a must.
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about that.

Bike
    Waiting
    Here's the basics.
    Change out the:

bars/grips
    pipes or just slip on mufflers
    seat
    rear guard
    taillight
    indicators
    paintjob
    mirrors
    suspension (lower shocks or hardtail)

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    First step is to have a clear picture of what you want to end up with.

Second step is to price it all up and decide if it is viable and know this....you will not get 50% of it back...but you will have the satisfaction of doing it

Third step is to get your hands on the bike or base building you want to develop.

Fourth step....start spending, building, dreaming and having fun.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    No Money and the need to get to work.
    Prices of factory parts and the lack of avaliability for parts (of bikes in my price range- ie; old) pre-internet.
    Being a poor apprentice flatting on slightly less than the dole for my first year and having a machine shop at my beck and call- when the boss was not looking.
    It's been all downhill from there
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    I'm interested in learning how to modify bikes, where would be the best to start?
    How did you guys learn how to do it?
    Ha ha... Very funny

Ribbons on mirrors ought to do it.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti View Post
    No Money and the need to get to work.
    For me it was a need to get to school (well I didnt feel the need to personally but mum insisted)

Dad was a mechanic so there were always loots of tools about the place. You start simply by picking up a magic spanner. Honestly, some spanners you only have to pick them up and a part falls off your bike!

Eventually you get sick of replacing the same part 34 times and you become more careful in your approach.

Bike
    15 BMW S1000R
    For me it was just "why not". It's a fun project and I guess you learn as you go along. Figured if I got an old bike and stripped it down, I'd have no choice but to put it back together in some way, shape or form. Personally (with my lack of knowledge and experience), I'd try and get something with a strong motor so that you don't have to mess with the complicated stuff too much.

Anyway, it's just fun!

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Sable View Post
    Get a bike first dumbass
    Currently in the process of getting one.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Has any of this been helpful? Or would you like more generic/specific info? Do you have a biking partner in crime? Very useful one of those.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Has any of this been helpful? Or would you like more generic/specific info? Do you have a biking partner in crime? Very useful one of those.
    Yes, allot of it has given me some rough ideas. I'm keen to get into the cosmetic and restoration side of modification rather than building from scratch. I don't know anyone here locally that I could learn from and I practically have no knowledge of the basics such as welding, which obviously I'm going to have to learn. So I'm keen on any recommended reading material or equipment that could help me.

I originally wanted to start with my Suzuki GN but unfortunately its at the wreckers thanks to a mobility van.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Doing welding to a worthwhile standard is a little tricky, but if there's a local Polytech they probably run courses on it.

Pick one part on the bike and start by restoring that would be my suggestion. Preferably a piece that lets you keep riding it. Once you've ripped that off, post a pic of it and what you want to accomplish with it, and KB will get you pointed in the right direction.

Be aware it's like disease. Once you get the piece bolted back on the bike you'll be hungry for more.

Bike
    KTM 530 exc 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    Yes, allot of it has given me some rough ideas. I'm keen to get into the cosmetic and restoration side of modification rather than building from scratch. I don't know anyone here locally that I could learn from and I practically have no knowledge of the basics such as welding, which obviously I'm going to have to learn. So I'm keen on any recommended reading material or equipment that could help me.

I originally wanted to start with my Suzuki GN but unfortunately its at the wreckers thanks to a mobility van.
    Get a Haynes workshop manual 4 your model learn how 2 pull it 2 bits step by step with pretty pics of all the right bits & bolts as well as poly tech Corses's in welding etc. & Google 2 fill in the blanks
    THE DEAR LEADER SAY'S Life is Hell ride hard or head home just get the fuck outta my way !!!

Bike
    15 BMW S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungatoke Mad View Post
    Get a Haynes workshop manual 4 your model learn how 2 pull it 2 bits step by step with pretty pics of all the right bits & bolts as well as poly tech Corses's in welding etc. & Google 2 fill in the blanks
    Also can be a really good idea to take lots of photos as you pull it apart, makes it a hell of a lot easier to remember how to put it back together again!

Bike
    Waiting
    I dont weld. I did 3 bobbers last year, 2 this year, plus the board tracker Im working on now. If I need welding done I just pop down the local engineer. He's friendly & has fair prices; sometimes does quick jobs for free.
    Having said that, to be able to weld is obviously very handy.
    Remember that if you chop & weld you may need to get the work certified.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I like modifying. My stuff isn't pretty, professional or even functional a lot of the time but what else are you gonna do with your time???
    I am however dismayed at the lack of bike wreckers & sourcing 2nd hand parts can be bloody expensive.
    You just know there are hundreds of brake master cylinders/ mudguards/ wheels/tanks etc piled up in garages somewhere not being used however getting them for a cheap price on Trademe is pretty hit & miss.
    If you do get into it i'd suggest a GN250 or the like & just start taking bits apart. I can almost guarantee the parts won't go back the way you thought they should & that's the point where your brain starts to learn. You need to learn to research from the web, mates & especially your friendly local mechanic
    At that point you'll either say bugger this for a game of soldiers & get rid of the evidence or you may bet hooked - or you may make some cheese on toast...
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Thread Information