Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get started?

Bike
    None

How do you get started?

I'm interested in learning how to modify bikes, where would be the best to start?
    How did you guys learn how to do it?

Bike
    Get a bike first.

Then learn to ride it. Then you will have some idea about what you might like to change to better suit your personality.

Baby steps HK, walk before you run.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    As above,
    You can always do alot of small bolt on stuff to start with I.E some blingy levers and a intolerably loud slip on muffler, then maybe do some LED indicators, which will most likely require a relay change, then you can go onto a little bit bigger stuff, my 400 has a good top end but I seen it as senseless as I ride down a road thats good for fanging but not long/straight enough or clear enough to use the top end, so I opted to change my sprockets to lean towards acceleration rather than top speed, so you could do something like this, not to forget to do the chain also,
    then you get into the nitty gritty picky shit which my ham hands arnt capable of.
    But ride the bike first before you change anything that could effect performance, and as my own personal rule of thumb dont over modify anything so that it cant be returned to stock, most people want a stock bike not something that has been the sperm dumpster of another persons hopes and dreams.

Bike
    a red heap
    If you are interested in streetfighters the first thing you need to do is crash your sportsbike.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    I'm interested in learning how to modify bikes, where would be the best to start?
    Buy a really old bike that's about to break down. When it does, and nobody can remember how to fix them and parts are impossible to get for it anyway, you will be in a prime position to learn "modification"...

That's how I did it anyway...(True!)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    learn to weld,use a lathe and milling machine and you should be good to go.

Bike
    Various
    It might be a good idea to post what you are interested in modifying, for instance tell us if you're into racing, streetfighters, fast street bikes, building bobbers or choppers or whatever and what bike you own or are going to buy and maybe your skill level/mechanical experience, that way you'll get some more focused ideas.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Easy. I watched a lot of American Chopper, and Biker Build Off. And I read for about 5 years Easyriders, Heavy Duty, In The Wind, and others.

Then I visited some custom bike shops and saw their set up.

Then I hated something on one of my own bikes and decided anything I make would be better than that.

True story.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    KTM 950SM, '78 X7, FZ750, GN250
    Get a bike first dumbass

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Pull the exhaust off. That's always the first step.

Everyone knows a loud bike's a fast bike.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Depends ... do you want to modify your bike yourself ... or will you PAY somebody to modify it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Get into bucket racing, before you know it you'll be chopping things off, welding things on and building bastard creations that were never meant to be.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Mechanical sympathy is the first step, get it by doing a lot of riding, and as much maintenance as you can, as well as reading up on how all the bits work. Then you'll start getting ideas on how you want to change it, which you'll need equipment and skills to do. Stick to mods within your equipment level, and practice practice practice to get your skills up before doing the mod.

Those were my steps anyhow, and I reckon I do alright now
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Bikes!
    If you've got cosmetic modifications in mind, find the one part you want to change most, and do it. Maybe file finish a cast alloy bracket (because they're always horrible on the average bike, casting marks and flashings etc are poorly finished) with some small files for $10 from Bunnings/Repco etc, and then have it powder coated for another $20. Maybe have a look at something like tastynuts.com (seriously) and start swapping out the fasteners for stainless.

If you want it to go faster, then start with things like changing the oil and lubing the chassis.

If it's comfort, maybe pick the staples out of the seat and reshape the foam, then restaple it.

Or something else in mind? Bolt ons are an easy in (like swapping indicators) but they don't give much in the way of fufillment.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    If you are interested in streetfighters the first thing you need to do is crash your sportsbike.
    Don't forget to ride outside of your license regulation and/ or have no insurance. This is a must.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Thread Information