Thread: ZZR250 to track bike?

Bike
    SV 650 Race bike, ZZR 250 in pieces
    Blog Entries

ZZR250 to track bike?

Where to begin?

Well, i have a ZZR250, whole bike is apart with the engine in my room. I am going to turn her into a track bike and will post questions and updates up here.
    My Ideas:

I will be running her naked for a start, can't be arsed pissing around with fairings and the lot. I will paint the frame in a matt black, the forks in a gold colour and the wheels in gold.
    I am going to be ordering in parts as i get the money for them but items on the list are:

Clip on's
    Grips
    Pod Filters
    Shorty clutch and brake levers
    Carbon fiber lookalike mat
    2 Stroke engine

First problem i have is with the engine, I want something bigger and faster in there but also lighter. Can i modify the engine mounts to accommodate a different engine? what's the easiest way to go about that?

Second is, I have to lower my triple clamp(?) down around 1-2cm to fit the clip-ons onto the forks. How much would that affect the stability, and handling of the bike? With a lighter engine in there it should be alright since there will be less weight to dive down under braking?

Pod filters straight onto the carbs, would that be for the better or worse? would get it tuned and such but don't want to piss around with an airbox either.

Tacho, could a car tacho be made to work on a bike or do they run on a different system? Should i just shell out for a motorcycle specific one?

Will be looking at chopping the sub-frame in half as well because i only want half a seat on there and it runs out to far so chop chop time it is. There should be no problems with that as long as i don't cut any crucial bits off.

Finally the tank will be painted gloss white with black strips down the side.

Will post up more pics tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110809_151129.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	496.9 KB 
ID:	247933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110809_151139 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	529.3 KB 
ID:	247934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110809_151148.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	247935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110809_151158 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	546.5 KB 
ID:	247936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110809_151204.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	534.5 KB 
ID:	247937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110810_152100 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	608.3 KB 
ID:	247938  
    Rest in peace Tony - you will be missed.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Firstly, stopping and turning should be a priority.
    I'd plop the old motor in with a loud pipe and jetting to make it sound fun, rape it 'till it explodes and go from there.

Handling: How big are your forks? I have two sets of ZZR600 springs and internals if you have 41mm forks.
    Better rubber, always worth it.
    Get a fresh rear shock up inside the bitch.
    Drop all the weight you can from the bike, get a pathetic little tail unit and make an alloy subframe.

Stopping: better pads, braided lines and new fluid. Maybe even a twin disk set up from a ZXR250 with USD forks, not sure if it's worth the time/money though.

Go: Standard motor.
    Modify ignition rotor to advance timing and decrease engine life
    Increase port sizes and polish them to reduce low end power
    Throw bigger carbs on it, to completely destroy the low end power (I may just have the thing in my garage to help with this)
    Jet it and run the prick on straight pipes.
    Thrash and enjoy, no need for more power to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Firstly, stopping and turning should be a priority.
    I'd plop the old motor in with a loud pipe and jetting to make it sound fun, rape it 'till it explodes and go from there.

Handling: How big are your forks? I have two sets of ZZR600 springs and internals if you have 41mm forks.
    Better rubber, always worth it.
    Get a fresh rear shock up inside the bitch.
    Drop all the weight you can from the bike, get a pathetic little tail unit and make an alloy subframe.

Stopping: better pads, braided lines and new fluid. Maybe even a twin disk set up from a ZXR250 with USD forks, not sure if it's worth the time/money though.

Go: Standard motor.
    Modify ignition rotor to advance timing and decrease engine life
    Increase port sizes and polish them to reduce low end power
    Throw bigger carbs on it, to completely destroy the low end power (I may just have the thing in my garage to help with this)
    Jet it and run the prick on straight pipes.
    Thrash and enjoy, no need for more power to have fun.
    Who needs to stop or turn when you can go fast?!!

Forks are 36mm, better rubber...i'm using durex at the moment, do you think i should change to MAGNUM?

You just want to completley destroy my engine in the shortest amount of time dont you

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Chef View Post

Forks are 36mm, better rubber...i'm using durex at the moment, do you think i should change to MAGNUM?

You just want to completley destroy my engine in the shortest amount of time dont you
    Fair call!

They're fucking pencil forks! Yes, MAGNUM is the way to go

I do, I really do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Fair call!

They're fucking pencil forks! Yes, MAGNUM is the way to go

I do, I really do.
    Yea i know they are...

MAGNUM it is then

And....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

its a track bike, its not about outright speed, especially in a little bike, its about carrying momentum through the corners, handling brakes and tyres should be your first port of call. Chuck the original engine it and and go tracking man!!

and fuck the paint job, its a track hack right? spend that coin on some race rubber

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    its a track bike, its not about outright speed, especially in a little bike, its about carrying momentum through the corners, handling brakes and tyres should be your first port of call. Chuck the original engine it and and go tracking man!!

and fuck the paint job, its a track hack right? spend that coin on some race rubber
    Yea was only joking about that bit.. does get a bit lonely on the back straight though.. in saying that i will carve through on the corners.

Just got to strip the engine apart and give it a nice clean first, not running/hardly at the moment and there is no space to put the pieces. Keen to get out as fast as i can though..

And paint is only spray paint and a bit of home sanding

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Yea was only joking about that bit.. does get a bit lonely on the back straight though.. in saying that i will carve through on the corners.

Just got to strip the engine apart and give it a nice clean first, not running/hardly at the moment and there is no space to put the pieces. Keen to get out as fast as i can though..

And paint is only spray paint and a bit of home sanding
    onya! botch it together and get out there.
    and fuck the straight, theyre for drag racers anyway, the corners are where the skill and the fun is at!

Thread Information