Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Same could be said for tyres, do you expect everyone to ride with the stickiest ones available, or can we save a few bucks and go for longer life at the expense of a bit of grip?
    And bike gear.....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Haha

Better tyre life, better handling, better grip, safer etc, but like anything, buying one out of the box, or second hand, would never suit until it's set up for you. Ohlins in the back of the Hornet, it's lovely.

I believe any bike should be set up for the rider, including stock suspension, as the japs design and set them up for the little and light fellas.
    fixed that for ya!
    Often though, I think people dont bother getting their existing suspension set up, and just assume they need better components, so skip that step, when a simple adjustment may well suffice.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Why would anyone buy a top-of-the-line hi-fi, when all they use it for is to listen to the radio?
    Horses for courses...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Same could be said for tyres
    No it can't. The Qualifier 2 tyres that came on my bike were great, nothing inadequate about them when compared to the range of replacements available. I thought maybe brake pads were a better comparison, but no, they're generally better OEM than aftermarket for the road use that Jim stated. After thinking about it, gear is probably most comparable, but if protection is the metric then that isn't applicable either.

Ignorance is a wonderful thing when it comes to suspension. It lets you ignore things that would be blatant to others. Sometimes that only extends to being too ignorant to have your upgraded suspension properly tuned by a man who is happy to keep trying until your completely satisfied, but oh well

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Same could be said for tyres, do you expect everyone to ride with the stickiest ones available, or can we save a few bucks and go for longer life at the expense of a bit of grip?
    That just shows you don't know much about tyres. "Stickiest" is dependant on usage. Most people are absolutely fine with the touring end of the sport-touring spectrum of tyres that are designed to reach optimal operating temps at everyday speeds, maximising avaialble grip. Some people have to use near-slicks because they ride at a pace that would overwhelm a sport-touring tyre.

Underpinning both of those types of tyres is suspension which has the job of keeping your tyres in touch with the ground as much as possible, not hanging in the air after a square edged bump or bouncing off normal ripples in the road, or deflecting in a direction that reduces the available grip budget.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

There are more aftermarket suspension manufacturers than Ohlins. This is just another thinly veiled dig at CKT and Robert Taylor and as such ill-fitting to the OP and his normal MO.
    Thats bullshit Jim and way out line, I dont appretiate your slant on this thread.
    I have apologised to Mr Taylor and delcined his offer...what of it?

Get a grip mate. Honestly.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Normally I would agree but as I said Ohlins aren't the only aftermarket suspension company operating in NZ. Why single that particular company out if not to grind your axe?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Meh, there all just cans of old tranny fluid. Move on.

Bike
    GSXR1000

Moderators Note.

Knock it on the head or this one is going straight to PD.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Why would anyone buy a top-of-the-line hi-fi, when all they use it for is to listen to the radio?
    Cause if nothing else, you'd have a fucking awesome radio!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    That just shows you don't know much about tyres. "Stickiest" is dependant on usage. Most people are absolutely fine with the touring end of the sport-touring spectrum of tyres that are designed to reach optimal operating temps at everyday speeds, maximising avaialble grip. Some people have to use near-slicks because they ride at a pace that would overwhelm a sport-touring tyre.
    It's obvious that tyre grip is proportional to temp, and some are speced for more grip at higher temp than others. But as I understand it, there are tyres in the same temp/riding range that have different levels of grip, and different levels of durability, that is the comparison I was making.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I put racetech emulators in the front of my SVS when I had it. Despite being another nana rider, I do believe that it was worth the money. Because, amongst other things, it stopped the front from diving into the ground whenever I touched the front brake. Which is what that bike did with standard forks.

I also quite liked the better road holding in corners.

However, the gixxer is still way more better again.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I put racetech emulators in the front of my SVS when I had it. Despite being another nana rider, I do believe that it was worth the money. Because, amongst other things, it stopped the front from diving into the ground whenever I touched the front brake. Which is what that bike did with standard forks.
    So they slowed down low speed compression is what your saying?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    It's obvious that tyre grip is proportional to temp, and some are speced for more grip at higher temp than others. But as I understand it, there are tyres in the same temp/riding range that have different levels of grip, and different levels of durability, that is the comparison I was making.
    Dont, whatever you do, make mention of a brand....some people just cant cope with that.
    One may out perform another but a personal view of this fact is taking things a little to far.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    fixed that for ya!
    Often though, I think people dont bother getting their existing suspension set up, and just assume they need better components, so skip that step, when a simple adjustment may well suffice.
    This is my point. Now that I can adjust the stock setup, it is far more acceptable.

I'm not however dissing Ohlins, Racetech et-al. I'm sure I could have a far better set up bike than I have, however I am presently content with adjusting the stock set up

Thread Information