Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So they slowed down low speed compression is what your saying?
    Yes. Among other things. The front was obviously more compliant all round with the emulators. But the low speed compression stuck out like the gonads on a canine.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I had $2600 (of there abouts) worth of Ohlins in my Triumph front and rear, and never got used to it.
    Was it valved and sprung to suit you? who was it set up by?
    I just dont push hard enough to compliment the top end suspension...simple really.
    It was pointed out to me (by a couple of seasoned riders) that my style (yes its a style) of riding does not warrant the expenditure of an Ohlins fit-out.
    Have those "seasoned riders ever had ohlins or similar in their bikes? because they really don't sound like they have much of a clue, any bike and any style of riding will benefit from better suspension

By modern standards my bike is an old shitter, I ride not much over the limit and don't tend to push hard through the corners and the single best upgrade I have ever done is to fit Ohlins on the rear of it
    There are other options avaliable, sure...
    All I am stating is that top ensd suspension is not for me.
    Personally I think most people buying stuff for there bikes bikes are pretty stupid, they'd rather have a Yoshi pipe or similar which is just about the sound more than anything else than actually spend the money on something that will return much more of a benefit
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I had ohlins on my RSVR and raced a bog standard SV650....different bikes totally, but I really was able to appreciate the ohlins suspension, even under sprung.

The SV650 class got binned and I was allowed to mod the suspension for F3. I had the front resprung and emulators put in and an ohlins on the rear set up for me.

I found the new 'better' suspension horrible and my lap times were slower than the previous year under similar conditions. I had some racing tuition from Brian Bernard at Manfield and the next day I knocked 4 seconds off my best dry lap time in the wet. So it wasn't just getting the suspension setup, it was (for me) tuning the rider to the suspension.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have no doubt that given the right Bike/Rider combo that this gear performs well enough.
    I had $2600 (of there abouts) worth of Ohlins in my Triumph front and rear, and never got used to it.
    Why?
    I just dont push hard enough to compliment the top end suspension...simple really.
    It was pointed out to me (by a couple of seasoned riders) that my style (yes its a style) of riding does not warrant the expenditure of an Ohlins fit-out.

The End.
    I'm no Rossi either but I do love decent suspension. Usually because I am fairly lightweight and everything is sprung for someone 5 ft 11 and 100kg.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I'm no Rossi either but I do love decent suspension. Usually because I am fairly lightweight and everything is sprung for someone 5 ft 11 and 100kg.
    Ever ridden an SV650 ? The front end bottoms out rolling out of the crate.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Buy some light rims to go with it H,the difference is beyond words.Couldnt recall how many exhaust systems ive bought in my time on 2 wheels but after getting some decent rims to go with the suspenders i wonder why i ever bothered.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Yup, curvy and pointy now have a dl650. Perhaps I should have bought shares in a suspesnion company
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    None any more
    I Ohlinised an FJR1300 after 36,000km. Should have done it earlier. The difference was noticeable over the first 50m I rode and every km afterwards was a joy. It was easy to adjust for two-up and luggage. I reckon it added about 2,000km to my tyre life and aided braking performance by a clearly noticeable but immeasurable amount.

If Shiver had not met with an untimely demise on 16 October last year, it would have received the modifications I had booked it to receive shortly afterwards.

The Claytons Bandit is next. Maybe not Ohlins but there are other choices available. Before Christmas it shall be done.

Just because manufacturers don't do this doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I'd always make an investment on suspension and brakes before I did the K&N airbox mods, Power Commander III, Yoshimura cams and full TBR exhaust. Indeed for your average weekend street fighter, doing the suspenders is going to make more difference to anything they can do point to point than engine mods will.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    It is only the 5th and this damn FZ8 has exhausted my whole months supply of popcorn.

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Just because manufacturers don't do this doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
    And likewise just because it's available doesn't mean you have to do it.

Some people buy 40" $900 TV's and some people buy a $5,000 TV. Both are fit for the task, some people notice and appreciate the better product, some don't know better, and some are happy with the compromise between cost and performance.

The bike I'm riding had it's stock suspension derided by a poster in this thread. I've been riding it stock for 5 years. Yeah it's not that good (in fact it's pretty crap), but I feel I know it's limits and that maybe it makes me a better rider. And I can't afford to spend thousands upgrading it so I make do.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    Some people buy 40" $900 TV's and some people buy a $5,000 TV.
    A better comparison is using a kotanga for a TV aerial, compared with HD Freeview. Both work. Some people also deregister their bikes over winter because they can't afford the additional ACC costs. Some people are vegetarians because they are too easily aroused by the smell of bacon cooking.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None
    With no desire to type a large amount of text please refer to my last post in the FZ8 thread, General bike ravings.
    To cut a long story short just fitting high quality aftermarket suspension is not always a straight ''plug and play''. The devil is very much in the detail in order to realise the maximum end benefit and it must be optimised for the end user and the end users preferences. If there is ever an issue with the brands we fit we prefer to be the very first people to know about it so we can take action to ensure the customer is totally happy. Commensurate with the good name of the products. That is the intention and benefit of a pro-active local distributor.
    As a blatant sales pitch I believe that is one of our major points of difference in that we have the sincerest intentions to make sure our customers are happy. But we absolutely need to know firsthand if they are not!!! Our new piece of equipment ( suspension dyno ) is going to lift the game yet further

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    A better comparison is using a kotanga for a TV aerial, compared with HD Freeview. Both work. Some people also deregister their bikes over winter because they can't afford the additional ACC costs. Some people are vegetarians because the are too easily aroused by the smell of bacon cooking.
    Yeah....nah. The difference is that you can't buy a kotanga as a brand new aerial, but you can buy a brand new bike with stock suspension.

I don't think anyone disagrees that you'll get a much improved bike after upgrading suspension (except maybe on a couple of models), but you don't need to upgrade.

If stock suspension was really so bad or dangerous then bike companies would not survive in the US without going bankrupt from litigation. This is the land where Cessna stopped making light planes for a long while because people crashed and sued them.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    used to own one: saggy front and oversprung rear. Nothing but quality

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Buy some light rims to go with it H,the difference is beyond words.Couldnt recall how many exhaust systems ive bought in my time on 2 wheels but after getting some decent rims to go with the suspenders i wonder why i ever bothered.
    I do like the look of those BST crabons.

Its a fact that any bike nowadays (particularly road bikes) make enough power. Its about putting that on the ground.

Best advice I ever heard given in a bike shop: "Mate, if you want to look faster spend money on the engine. If you want to BE faster spend it on suspension"

Thread Information