Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Surely, if one is happy with the way one's suspension performs, adequate for one's purposes, then the expense and hassle of upgrading it to a 'superior' product is a superfluous exercise isn't it?

I don't think I've ever owned a machine that wouldn't have benefited from superior quality components but I think it's perfectly acceptable to decide for yourself if all that you have is all that you need.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    Surely, if one is happy with the way one's suspension performs, adequate for one's purposes, then the expense and hassle of upgrading it to a 'superior' product is a superfluous exercise isn't it?

I don't think I've ever owned a machine that wouldn't have benefited from superior quality components but I think it's perfectly acceptable to decide for yourself if all that you have is all that you need.
    Thats totally your discretion of course and no-one should be pressured into anything. But the best you've ridden is the best you know!
    As an interesting aside one of my principals in Sweden often gets asked who Ohlins biggest competitor is? To which he replies Akrapovic.
    My ultra cynical take on that is ''hey my bad handling bike now makes more noise"

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Triple Delight
    What a kerfuffle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    kerfuffle!
    Bless you.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Normally I would agree but as I said Ohlins aren't the only aftermarket suspension company operating in NZ. Why single that particular company out if not to grind your axe?
    and you care because?
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    I don't think anyone disagrees that you'll get a much improved bike after upgrading suspension (except maybe on a couple of models), but you don't need to upgrade.

thats it in a nutshell.
    Back in the 1990's, people would talk about how 'XXX'bike had awesome suspension, and made for a great ride, of course relative to what else was available.

Now technology has moved on, what we used to call great, and a comfortable ride has become shit and horrible, purely because the joneses next door bought something a bit newer and said 'fuck this is great' making joe bloggs decide that because their was something out there that might be 'better', what he currently has must automatically be shit.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I was happy with my bike too, until I put new tyres and suspension on it. Then I changed the tyres for Michelins, and had the suspension further fettled, and was instantly aware of what I was missing before. Next step is to send my non-OEM rear shock for some fettling.
    Do I ride like Rossi? No. In fact I probably ride at less than 3/10ths, even when pushing it. But the bike's much nicer to ride.
    Was it expensive? Depends what your standards are. The bike cost $12K, and I spent around $2k on suspension mods, so it was a not insignificant outlay, but well worth it, IMHO. I expect to get my bike how I really want it (newer model Power Commander, new airfilter, dynotune, overhauled rear shock, etc. (will probably cost me another $2k. Afterwards, my bike will probably be worth around $6k. It's still significantly cheaper'n a replacement bike.
    What's my point? I don't believe I have one - just joining in the discussion...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    I was happy with my bike too, until I put new tyres and suspension on it. Then I changed the tyres for Michelins, and had the suspension further fettled, and was instantly aware of what I was missing before. Next step is to send my non-OEM rear shock for some fettling.
    Do I ride like Rossi? No. In fact I probably ride at less than 3/10ths, even when pushing it. But the bike's much nicer to ride.
    Was it expensive? Depends what your standards are. The bike cost $12K, and I spent around $2k on suspension mods, so it was a not insignificant outlay, but well worth it, IMHO. I expect to get my bike how I really want it (newer model Power Commander, new airfilter, dynotune, overhauled rear shock, etc. (will probably cost me another $2k. Afterwards, my bike will probably be worth around $6k. It's still significantly cheaper'n a replacement bike.
    What's my point? I don't believe I have one - just joining in the discussion...
    And that in a nut shell sums us up,all individuals and we do it for ourselves,what I think is fine others think is stupid expense,some people spend $5000 each year doing the holiday to same destination,others by new furniture,others bikes.
    The biker type have their own ideas of what to replace first,some is suspension,others engine mods or bling,great to be different to the next guy is my view.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Earlier this year I invested in Ohlins fork springs and a Ohlins rear shock on the Hornet. I have made many modifications to this bike since purchasing it new and by far the best return for my $ was the Ohlins. Period. It has positively transformed the bike from walking to illegal speeds. Handling, comfort, overall compliance.

The only issue is any future bike will require a similar treatment now that I have experienced the joy of decent suspenders.

I am a happy customer of Mr T, may the man be Knighted by the Queen for his services to NZ motorcycling.

Those fancy wheels sound nice .........

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    There are other options avaliable, sure...
    All I am stating is that top ensd suspension is not for me.
    The front fork solution that I have offered you in fact primarily involves reshimming only, oil will be Ohlins.( which is brewed mainly by Statoil, a state owned Norwegian company )

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    fixed that for ya!
    Often though, I think people dont bother getting their existing suspension set up, and just assume they need better components, so skip that step, when a simple adjustment may well suffice.
    That works only in so far as if the adjusters have a useful response range. Some do, many dont. Even if they have adjusters its really what is on the inside that counts. Its the same with revalving the stock piston, only viable if the stock piston is responsive to revalving. Many are, but also many arent.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    It is only the 5th and this damn FZ8 has exhausted my whole months supply of popcorn.
    Yes, it definitely has polarised people!

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    That works only in so far as if the adjusters have a useful response range. Some do, many dont. Even if they have adjusters its really what is on the inside that counts. Its the same with revalving the stock piston, only viable if the stock piston is responsive to revalving. Many are, but also many arent.
    my point was that many dont even try.
    Ive known of many people intending to buy new shocks, that hadnt even thought of getting their stock stuff adjusted to suit their weight.
    A few went on and bought new stuff after trying adjusting, many didnt. but one should at least try first

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    Yeah....nah. The difference is that you can't buy a kotanga as a brand new aerial, but you can buy a brand new bike with stock suspension.

I don't think anyone disagrees that you'll get a much improved bike after upgrading suspension (except maybe on a couple of models), but you don't need to upgrade.

If stock suspension was really so bad or dangerous then bike companies would not survive in the US without going bankrupt from litigation. This is the land where Cessna stopped making light planes for a long while because people crashed and sued them.
    Theres a bit of a counter argument there. Generally they have a much higher ratio of smooth roads that dont challenge suspension as much as our shaky isles. We also have a higher ratio of riders that ride all year round. We sell a lot of shocks for Harleys but in percentage terms Ohlins USA sell few.

Bike
    XB12S

Unhappy

Why do you need these fancy suspenders now. Those of us that started racing in the 70's didnt need fancy garter belt suspenders.We knew the limitations of our ride and grew bigger testicles to compensate for the shortcomings of the suspenders tyres and brakes. Seems nowadays the more money you throw at a bike the less skill you need.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Seems nowadays the more money you throw at a bike the less skill you need.
    Or there is a requirement for greater skill needed to get the best out of the top gear.

Thread Information