Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins

Bike
    1986 Suzuki GSX-R400
    I ride an inadequately suspended bike every day, does it handle? Like fuck it does. Do I feel safe on it? Not really, but I ride to its limitations, usually after the rear wheel starts chattering and hopping, I back off Would I upgrade to the best of the best if I could? Of course. While i'd be happy with a Hagon or YSS replacement for the shock-imitation block of wood I have holding up the rear of my 400, If they made it, and I could afford it, i'd go for Ohlins, Nitron or Maxton without a second guess, purely because its quality gear, has all the adjustment you could ever want and its proven, that, and you cant really put a price on your own safety, that of your bike, or other people...

Will definitely go for a suspension upgrade on my next bike, purely out of past experience and the reassurance i have quality gear, well, that and after seeing the ohlins front and rear on my stepdads GSX-R1000, it all looks too damn pretty to say no to

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Why do you need these fancy suspenders now. Those of us that started racing in the 70's didnt need fancy garter belt suspenders.We knew the limitations of our ride and grew bigger testicles to compensate for the shortcomings of the suspenders tyres and brakes. Seems nowadays the more money you throw at a bike the less skill you need.
    You did that back in the seventies because you had no other choice
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Seems nowadays the more money you throw at a bike the less skill you need.
    Sweet! Can't wait to see you on the grid of NZSBK 2012 Round I. Grab yourself a GSXR1000, throw some Ohlins at it and a pair of slicks. Andrew, Robbie, Craig, Choppa and Nick are all dead meat. I bet they're looking forward to it as much as I am in fact.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    None
    Why do you need these fancy suspenders now. Those of us that started racing in the 70's didnt need fancy garter belt suspenders.We knew the limitations of our ride and grew bigger testicles to compensate for the shortcomings of the suspenders tyres and brakes. Seems nowadays the more money you throw at a bike the less skill you need.
    Tell that to Valentino Rossi...................

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Going to get my stockers sorted first, then find out if I need to get a better rear shock to cope with my mass.

I feel much better knowing that my contact patch is on the ground, rather than bouncing around.

I had 2 years of the worst suspension available (Hyosung suspenders are pretty bad) that the upgrade to the ZX's is like riding on feathers in comparision.

I dont even know if the front is stock or not... Hmmm a question for Jimmy I think.
    White Trash Pearls of Wisdom #2654 - Refering to yourself in the 3rd person: The only thing gayer, would be being caught handcuffed around a public toilet bowl, an apple stuffed in your mouth and George Michael administering an epic caneing to your exposed cheeks while Boy George documents the event on a handicam.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegasm View Post
    Going to get my stockers sorted first, then find out if I need to get a better rear shock to cope with my mass.

I feel much better knowing that my contact patch is on the ground, rather than bouncing around.

I had 2 years of the worst suspension available (Hyosung suspenders are pretty bad) that the upgrade to the ZX's is like riding on feathers in comparision.

I dont even know if the front is stock or not... Hmmm a question for Jimmy I think.
    It's stock mate. Let me know when you wanna bring it round to set the sags and the like.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Sweet! Can't wait to see you on the grid of NZSBK 2012 Round I. Grab yourself a GSXR1000, throw some Ohlins at it and a pair of slicks. Andrew, Robbie, Craig, Choppa and Nick are all dead meat. I bet they're looking forward to it as much as I am in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Tell that to Valentino Rossi...................
    Not everyone is a track rider. what percentage of riders even see the track regularly? 30%?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Not everyone is a track rider. what percentage of riders even see the track regularly? 30%?
    70% or greater of our customers are in fact road going riders who are seeking a greater level of compliance and ride comfort on our mixture of bumpy and challenging roads, but also with improved chassis control and stability.
    It is a HUGE ongoing misconception that premium aftermarket suspension is all about and nothing more than about going faster on a track

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Agreed. But the cat I quoted and responded to was indicating he was some hotshot in the 70s and that all our current top riders do is chuck a heap of money at a bike in exchange for not requiring skills to ride at the pace they do. Which is laughable.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    70% or greater of our customers are in fact road going riders who are seeking a greater level of compliance and ride comfort on our mixture of bumpy and challenging roads, but also with improved chassis control and stability.
    It is a HUGE ongoing misconception that premium aftermarket suspension is all about and nothing more than about going faster on a track
    THIS.

thats what I'm all about. I'm so slow its embarrassing to be in the same county as me, particularly on track...
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Agreed. But the cat I quoted and responded to was indicating he was some hotshot in the 70s and that all our current top riders do is chuck a heap of money at a bike in exchange for not requiring skills to ride at the pace they do. Which is laughable.
    I LOLed too. the other thing is that the hotshot riders in the 70's would have had what was then state of the art available to them, and the road going bikes of the day would have had even worse.

Ah well.

One thing I will say is that having properly set up and nice suspension bits isn't making anyone go "Oooooh, Ahhhh must buy this Triumph Scrambler". Then again, neither is the aftermarket zorst and stuff.

My bank manager really wishes someone would buy it though.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I LOLed too. the other thing is that the hotshot riders in the 70's would have had what was then state of the art available to them, and the road going bikes of the day would have had even worse.

Ah well.

One thing I will say is that having properly set up and nice suspension bits isn't making anyone go "Oooooh, Ahhhh must buy this Triumph Scrambler". Then again, neither is the aftermarket zorst and stuff.

My bank manager really wishes someone would buy it though.
    Ok, here in the second decade of the 21st century Im personally engaged in working with top level suspension. I was also around in the 70s given that I was born in 57. As a schoolboy I remember watching the likes of Alan Collison wobbling around Pukekohe on H2 Kawasakis and thinking at the time what an evil handling motorycle. Although I never raced I had a succession of big Yamahas through the mid 70s to early 80s. RD350, TX650, XS750, XS1100, XJ650 etc. I rode all year round in all weathers and long distance so consider myself an accomplished motorcyclist. In the early through mid 80s I managed a large bike workshop in London and got to work on and ride pretty much everything of European and Japanese origin.
    Looking back especially the earlier stuff was pretty grim. The frames were flexible, the shocks were largely single acting requiring heavily preloaded springs, they didnt absorb bumps and they faded quickly when ridden at speed on bumpy roads.
    Fast forward and technology has evolved significantly, apart from low cost commuter bikes ( which still have VERY grim suspension ) sportbikes and sports tourers have in general hugely better suspension than their ancestors. And with some great aftermarket product on offer they can be made a lot better again.
    That is not to be knocked, technology has in many ways served us all well.
    Like I have divulged I was around in the 70s and there are certain things I miss like agreeable looking girls wearing hot pants but I dont miss the grim suspension that motorcycles had at that time.

Bike
    I miss like agreeable looking girls wearing hot pants but I dont miss the grim suspension that motorcycles had at that time.
    I reckon my 750j has suspension that can't be improved upon but am happy to be proved wrong. I will even provide photos of the wife in hotpants if you can.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    I reckon my 750j has suspension that can't be improved upon but am happy to be proved wrong. I will even provide photos of the wife in hotpants if you can.
    It was ROBERT who wore the hotpants....
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Seeing Robert's here - what's the best thing to do with an FZ1 (old model) front end?
    Apart from chuck it, that is......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information