Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins

Bike
    Its a Boat

Ohlins

I have no doubt that given the right Bike/Rider combo that this gear performs well enough.
    I had $2600 (of there abouts) worth of Ohlins in my Triumph front and rear, and never got used to it.
    Why?
    I just dont push hard enough to compliment the top end suspension...simple really.
    It was pointed out to me (by a couple of seasoned riders) that my style (yes its a style) of riding does not warrant the expenditure of an Ohlins fit-out.

The End.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Haha

Better tyre life, better handling, better grip, safer etc, but like anything, buying one out of the box, or second hand, would never suit until it's set up for you. Ohlins in the back of the Hornet, it's lovely.

I believe any bike over 600cc should be set up for the rider, including stock suspension, as the japs design and set them up for the little and light fellas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I have no doubt that given the right Bike/Rider combo that this gear performs well enough.
    I had $2600 (of there abouts) worth of Ohlins in my Triumph front and rear, and never got used to it.
    Why?
    I just dont push hard enough to compliment the top end suspension...simple really.
    It was pointed out to me (by a couple of seasoned riders) that my style (yes its a style) of riding does not warrant the expenditure of an Ohlins fit-out.

The End.
    Funny. I almost spent loads of cash on Racetech/Ohlins gear. Then I bought myself an adjuster knob for the rear and started reading and playing with the settings.

Now I know how to adjust it myself for 2-up etc.; for my 'style' of riding, the stock suspension is just fine

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    All that fancy stuff would be wasted on me too...
    Like you, I choose to ride in style, mine is nana style!
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    Nana's FTW!....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I've often thought about upgrading my suspenders, the rear is no doubt old & tired & the forks just get to much abuse, I have to ride around their limitations.
    Anything that goes on as a replacement would need to be "tuned" to my riding style which is undemanding most of the time & undemanding the rest of the time because my bike tries to tie itself in knots over a certain velocity. The front on the brakes & the rear cranked over on the gas, load transition can be interesting too.

I thought that was the main reason to go for end suspension, tunability. Did you make many changes?

Bike
    Thinking
    Better Technology isnt better ????
    wow thats news to say the least. I know heaps of riders that have added Ohlins on their road bikes and had a excellent improvement in things line smooth cornering, sorting out those bumps without running wide, general comfort etc etc etc

I think maybe your bike isnt set up right for you ?

or are you fishing a little bit ?
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Funny. I almost spent loads of cash on Racetech/Ohlins gear. Then I bought myself an adjuster knob for the rear and started reading and playing with the settings.

Now I know how to adjust it myself for 2-up etc.; for my 'style' of riding, the stock suspension is just fine
    There are other options avaliable, sure...
    All I am stating is that top ensd suspension is not for me.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    That's pretty much my solution too, though I have to say, my uncle has ohlins (and the same model bike as me), and it does feel better. Would I corner any quicker or be able to stop faster if I had it, doubtful, but one day I'll see
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    You're talking from a point of ignorance. It has nothing to do with performance riding and everything to do with how bloody inadequate standard suspension is.

All suspension is a compromise of price versus performance vs expected use. Suspension is mostly developed by 65kg midgets, so standard bike suspension spring rates are completely inappropriate for countries with an obesity epidemic.

Your standard suspension is inadequate at every day speeds and is increasing your braking distance and reducing your available grip budget.

At the very least, lube your steering and suspension. They don't do it in the factory. If you can be bothered, get your bike sprung for your weight so that the inadequate suspension you have is working within nominal settings, not forced to work at or near the stops.

You will significantly reduce tyre wear with these changes, let alone replacing dampers. It will save you money over time and help keep you tyres in contact with the road more of the time than the standard suspension. It IS a safety issue but the market volume worldwide for our toys is tiny. Car suspension has improved out of sight in the last 20 years. Bike suspension has not, with new bikes using designs that are 70 years old and hiding the innards in modern looking containers.

There are more aftermarket suspension manufacturers than Ohlins. This is just another thinly veiled dig at CKT and Robert Taylor and as such ill-fitting to the OP and his normal MO.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Better Technology isnt better ????
    wow thats news to say the least. I know heaps of riders that have added Ohlins on their road bikes and had a excellent improvement in things line smooth cornering, sorting out those bumps without running wide, general comfort etc etc etc

I think maybe your bike isnt set up right for you ?

Fishing? Not at all, just keeping the bullshit out of another thread. To easy.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post

I got the merest whiff of Pilchard & decided to ask an honest question instead

Bike
    TF125
    I've never had anything but completely un-set-up OEM suspension, some of it decrepid and malfunctioning in a couple of shitboxes I've owned. You ride what you've got and you learn/adapt/adjust around the sometimes dangerous handling - or you crash.

I'm going to spend some money, a significant amount in my scheme of things, in some suspension fettling. Why?, because as well as the benefits Gremlin mentions above I'm also pretty sure it'll enhance the level of enjoyment I get from riding.

I just need the money.

Each to their own. By the way, I had a runny one this morning

Bike
    ZX10R ZZR1100 KLR650
    and the next thread in this series is "I should have listened"
    Authorised K-tech Sales and Service.
    http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/Sus...#mcnzstocklist

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Your standard suspension is inadequate at every day speeds and is increasing your braking distance and reducing your available grip budget.
    Same could be said for tyres, do you expect everyone to ride with the stickiest ones available, or can we save a few bucks and go for longer life at the expense of a bit of grip?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information