Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed WOF raised tons of questions. Add your two cents

Bike
    2nd ZXR250 A

Failed WOF raised tons of questions. Add your two cents

So my bike failed WOF today and it opened a whole lot questions I now want answered. As you can see in the photos my rear break has a steel braided line attached to it. According to the man at VTNZ it is illegal for the hose to be attached to the little extension thing with a nut, and should instead be attached through crimping, the same way the stock ones are attached to my front break calliper. And due to this the bike failed its WOF.

Now that is all well and good and normally I would simply agree that if it not set up the way it needs to be by law then it needs to be changed and thats that.
    Except when I asked why regulations required it to be crimped, actually curious if it is considered more reliable/safe/whatever other positive property fits here, he kinda shrugged it off and just made it seem he didn’t know.

I almost felt like he didn’t know what he was talking about, maybe I was just annoyed to begin with because when he was checking it over he actually jumped on to take it for a ride and started kicking it into first gear like an idiot before realizing it was in gear already. So maybe I had already made my mind up about him.

But then what does this mean for the other two VTNZ I have taken it to, one of them regularly too, do they just know fuck all? What about the places the previous owner took it to and passed it over the few years he owned it, did they also have no clue? Or the reputable mechanic business that fitted the hose banjo bits and all more than two years ago for which I have the receipt from the previous owner.

Not naming anyone but if It was done by a well established, reputable business shouldn’t they have know making those modifications were illegal??
    So the real question I suppose is who should I believe? If I go with today’s guy, it means a whole lot of people have made mistakes/overlooked illegal modifications/have had no real training or knowledge for the job they claim to be professionals at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-07 18.57.18.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	248113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-07 18.58.32.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	248115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-07 18.58.43.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	248116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-07 18.58.47.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	248117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-07 18.58.25.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	248114

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Guess that means most cars on the road are illegal then.

Bike
    SF
    Where's imdying?

macros87, have a look through here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...line-legality?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    From my understanding that line is legal.

The hose terminal is crimped, the fact that a banjo fitting is screwed to that doesn't make it non-compliant.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2nd ZXR250 A
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Where's imdying?

macros87, have a look through here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...line-legality?
    Thanks for that, that answers a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    From my understanding that line is legal.

The hose terminal is crimped, the fact that a banjo fitting is screwed to that doesn't make it non-compliant.
    I am reading the legislation from that other thread and its quiet vague. and according to the first section its legal:

g) has an end fitting that is not attached to the hose
    by means of swaging, machine crimping or a similar
    process (Note 2)

The end fitting is attached to the hose by crimping so should be legal, but then read note 2 'Note 2 Hose end fittings that can be undone using hand tools are unacceptable'. That does seem to render mine illegal. so then which is it.

I was really hoping there would be someone on here that does WOFs himself maybe shed some light.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Cant see a problem with myself,what would annoy me is someone failing it then being unable to give an explanation.I had a similar problem with a wof regarding a tailight lens,it worked,it was safe,it was brighter than the oem but nope,failed a wof,turned out it should have passed anyway.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    motocompo
    I am, amongst other things, a qualified w.o.f inspector, & incedentaly had a w.o.f audit today.
    The braided hose is legal, because the braided part is clearly crimped into a fitting, which is then threaded to a banjo fitting.
    The illegal type, (only illegal for road use) which my classic racing sidecar is covered in, have a threaded banjo, that winds up inside the braided hose, & a threaded ferrule that screws back the other way on the outside of the braiding, to hold it all together.
    Your w.o.f inspecting idiot has mis interpreted the manual & seems to be not paticularly worldly wise regarding braided hoses.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I am, amongst other things, a qualified w.o.f inspector, & incedentaly had a w.o.f audit today.
    The braided hose is legal, because the braided part is clearly crimped into a fitting, which is then threaded to a banjo fitting.
    The illegal type, (for road use) which my classic racing sidecar is covered in, have a threaded banjo, that winds up inside the braided hose, & a threaded ferrule that screws back the other way, to hold it all together.
    Your w.o.f inspecting idiot has mis interpreted the manual & seems to be not paticularly worldly wise regarding braided hoses.
    Nice work,to the thread starter go back armed with this and put the guy on the spot,may well save the next guy along some hassle.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    The illegal type, (only illegal for road use) which my classic racing sidecar is covered in, have a threaded banjo, that winds up inside the braided hose, & a threaded ferrule that screws back the other way on the outside of the braiding, to hold it all together.
    ^^This Man^^ would know. But on the wall of every WOF issuing agent is the contact details of where to take your concerns should things not be right.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by macros87 View Post
    The end fitting is attached to the hose by crimping so should be legal, but then read note 2 'Note 2 Hose end fittings that can be undone using hand tools are unacceptable'. That does seem to render mine illegal. so then which is it.

I was really hoping there would be someone on here that does WOFs himself maybe shed some light.
    Your hose-end fittings can't be undone with hand tools, it's a crimp. I believe the restriction relates to a type of hose terminal fitting that has a barb that goes up the hose inner lining and a ferrul, (sp?) that screws up over the hose outer. I use these for micro-hydraulic applications and they can be a bitch to get right. They obviously can be uncoupled from the hose itself with hand tools, ( a pair of spanners).

Edit: Well late, Bob's got it.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I'm also certified to carry out motorcycle WOF inspections and as Sidecar Bob says, that brake hose is legal.

Bike
    2nd ZXR250 A
    Thank you! this is exactly what I needed to know, while it annoys me that someone wasted my time and money, I think I would have been more annoyed to know a small army of qualified people kept getting it wrong over a period of years.

I think even armed with this he would not listen, when I told him that hose had passed several inspections already he told me I should have taken it to VTNZ when I told him I did I don't think he believed me. I had to be somewhere else and to be fair for all knew he could have been right so I didn't want to press the issue.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by macros87 View Post
    Thank you! this is exactly what I needed to know, while it annoys me that someone wasted my time and money, I think I would have been more annoyed to know a small army of qualified people kept getting it wrong over a period of years.

I think even armed with this he would not listen, when I told him that hose had passed several inspections already he told me I should have taken it to VTNZ when I told him I did I don't think he believed me. I had to be somewhere else and to be fair for all knew he could have been right so I didn't want to press the issue.
    Yeah, but you have a 28 day right of return at no cost to yourself. Go back, explain POLITELY the situation as you see it and with evidence of the law, I've no doubt he'll see reason. If not, as I said earlier, there's a complaints procedure.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2nd ZXR250 A
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Yeah, but you have a 28 day right of return at no cost to yourself. Go back, explain POLITELY the situation as you see it and with evidence of the law, I've no doubt he'll see reason. If not, as I said earlier, there's a complaints procedure.
    Is there a central head quarters number to call on complaints or does ever place manage and receive their own complaints phone line?

can anyone maybe find me a photo of the illegal type of hose fitting? I am looking on google images but I am just not sure what I am looking for.

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Not all VTNZ centres were created equal.
    Small thing I had a problem with was doing a re-vin on a wee pre 80's bike with drum brakes fore and aft, apparently (while the inspector pointed to the front wheel) I needed a disc brake thickness cert before I could unload it off the trailer.

Go back with something to show to say its legal, they don't take criticism very well, probably due to the boy racers trying to get a shit box through a cert after getting a colourful sticker from the popo and having a tantrum with the list of failures.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Thread Information