Thread: Honda Cbr600rr 07-08 rear preload

Bike
    2003 Suzuki GSX 250

Honda Cbr600rr 07-08 rear preload

Ok so I don't know how much you guy know about the stock rear shock but from what I have manage to find the adjuster ring is a complete B**** to move. It has no locking ring, apparently, and the c wrench that comes in the bike tools go's limp at the sight of the rear of the bike. There is some suggestion that you can just tap it around with a screw driver or you have to get a badassed c spanner.

So anyone got any alternative suggestions or recommendations on C wrenches?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
    Ok so I don't know how much you guy know about the stock rear shock but from what I have manage to find the adjuster ring is a complete B**** to move. It has no locking ring, apparently, and the c wrench that comes in the bike tools go's limp at the sight of the rear of the bike. There is some suggestion that you can just tap it around with a screw driver or you have to get a badassed c spanner.

So anyone got any alternative suggestions or recommendations on C wrenches?
    There are several issues going on here

1) The supplied c spanner is indeed ''nasty'' and has little leverage with the fear of skinning your knuckles

2) You need to take the load off that rear shock as much as possible while you attempt to adjust the preload, Ideally wheel in air and the bike supported by some form of stand that hooks onto the chassis, not the swingarm. In the absence of such equipment get a strong person to lift the bike by the tail section as much as possible while you try to adjust it

3) The fit between the preload adjust collar and the other shock components is such that a build up / ingress of road gunge can semi sieze that collar, and I am guessing that it may never have been previously adjusted. Perhaps an application of WD40 or similiar and time to penetatre may assist

If all else fails remove the shock so that you have free access to it.

Dont even attempt to use a screwdriver and hammer, such butchery devalues the bike

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    2003 Suzuki GSX 250
    Cheers mate will have to bite the bullet and take it off the bike.

Bike
    quite a few
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post

3) The fit between the preload adjust collar and the other shock components is such that a build up / ingress of road gunge can semi sieze that collar, and I am guessing that it may never have been previously adjusted. Perhaps an application of WD40 or similiar and time to penetatre may assist
    ding ding, and the winner is Mr Taylor
    I call it like I see it. Don't take it personally.

Bike
    Honda
    The rear ramp adjuster on the >07 CBR600RR is a PITA.

The Honda tool is shit and most other c-spanners don't fit because a thinner than normal tool is needed. I ground down an Ohlins spanner which kind of worked but honestly multi grip pliers work best . It's a piece of piss to spin the collar using those.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonbeliever View Post
    ding ding, and the winner is Mr Taylor
    I thought I was just providing honest advice from my own experience with these, and not subject to small minded ridicule?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    I thought I was just providing honest advice from my own experience with these, and not subject to small minded ridicule?
    It read more like a, "Hey I've been there too and I agree" supporting comment, but YMMV.

Bike
    quite a few
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    It read more like a, "Hey I've been there too and I agree" supporting comment, but YMMV.
    thats how it was meant, thanks imdying
    I call it like I see it. Don't take it personally.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonbeliever View Post
    thats how it was meant, thanks imdying
    Ok, accepted!

Bike
    CBR600RR
    This is what I did to adjust the pre-load on my CBR witout removing the shock or lifting the back of the bike. I couldn't get it past the 6/10 position but in the end by doing the below got it to 8/10 without any issues.

1) Throw away anything in the standard Honda tool kit.
    2) Purchase a 1 1/4 to 3" Bikeservice C-Spanner - any bike shop should be able to sort you out (I think the product code is BS0351).
    3) Go to mitre10/bunnings etc... and purchase a piece of hollow steel pipe (about 2 ft long) which will fit over the handle of the C-Spanner.
    4) As RT said WD40 to get some slide and adjust.

When you've got the extra leverage and a solid C-Spanner it grabs and slides into place no problem. Take your time! If you butcher the collar there's no going back.

Good luck!

Bike
    2003 Suzuki GSX 250
    Took it off the bike yesterday which was a lot easier then expected 2 fairings 2 bolts and its out. once out I put it in the soft jaw vice and the thing slid round with ease.

Thanks for your help all.

Thread Information