Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right decision

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 2009 Yamaha FZ1-N

Angry The right decision

This has been floating around a number of bike lists how a US Senator ran a stop sign and wiped out a motorcyclist. His trial has just finished, after the local law took weeks to decide whether to charge him or not. Real condmenation from the US biker community over the whole deal.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ple_janklow_dc

and

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rial&e=1&ncid=

Bike
    None any more
    Money and influence talks. The US is a corrupt society, so don't expect its courts to deliver justice.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Money and influence talks. The US is a corrupt society, so don't expect its courts to deliver justice.
    Yeah I too have been following this for a while.
    The guy will be unlucky if he gets three yrs for this even tho, he has a history
    that would see most go down big time.
    Plus he will probably do his time if he even gets any in some happy farm for the priviliged few.

Bike
    Nah it gets worse, he could get a suspended sentence because of his time as a senator and the services to the public, etc, etc

Bike
    And how is this for "JUSTICE"!!!

" Keep in mind that the judge IS allowed to consider the congressman's political position when determining the sentence - it usually decreases the sentence. This is legal and customary. Also, the judge can impose a 10 year sentence and suspend all of it, which means Janklow will go free."

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    And what really fucking pisses me off is how people will continue to assume that because you are diabetic you shouldn't be in control of a motor vehicle.

You would think a person elected to have a certain amount of responsibility for his fellow humans should at the least be responsible enough to eat something .

grrrrrrrrrrrr. not happy.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    You don't seriously believe it's any different here, do you??
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Yep,We have our own white collor crim,s doing it eazy here.
    Vists to the local golf course an all.
    This Janklow guy has a history of major traffic violations but the locals all love him.
    I think he probably will get it eazy,Just the way it,s always been aye.
    Pity the victim and his family,how,s their xmas going to be.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    The reasoning behind lighter sentancing for 'white collar crims' is straight forward.
    For example, many of us I have noted are self employed, or have good jobs. We pay taxes, don't nick stuff or murder people and generally stick to the law of the land. Even if it was in his power, a judge isn't likely to strip you of all your worldly assets and send you to the nick for a long time for a crime, even if it resulted in an accidental, although preventable, death.
    If he did so, you would come out with out of date skills, no money and be a general burden on society. You'd probably have to end up selling drugs or flogging off nicked bikes to substitude your meager earnings just to get back to the lifestyle you enjoyed beforehand.
    Therefore more will be lost in the longrun if you were excessively punished.

On the other hand, this dude was a repeat offender. I'm all for a Californian style '3 strikes and you're out' system. Most of us would learn our lesson, but some people have no shame - and they should have the proverbial book thrown at them.

Well, my $0.02, anyway.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by What?
    You don't seriously believe it's any different here, do you??
    It is different but not perfect by any means. We don't have political appointments as judges and chiefs of police for a starter...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey
    The reasoning behind lighter sentancing for 'white collar crims' is straight forward.
    For example, many of us I have noted are self employed, or have good jobs. We pay taxes, don't nick stuff or murder people and generally stick to the law of the land. Even if it was in his power, a judge isn't likely to strip you of all your worldly assets and send you to the nick for a long time for a crime, even if it resulted in an accidental, although preventable, death.
    If he did so, you would come out with out of date skills, no money and be a general burden on society. You'd probably have to end up selling drugs or flogging off nicked bikes to substitude your meager earnings just to get back to the lifestyle you enjoyed beforehand.
    Therefore more will be lost in the longrun if you were excessively punished.

On the other hand, this dude was a repeat offender. I'm all for a Californian style '3 strikes and you're out' system. Most of us would learn our lesson, but some people have no shame - and they should have the proverbial book thrown at them.

Well, my $0.02, anyway.
    You have GOT to be fucking joking

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    You have GOT to be fucking joking
    I didn't say I agree with it, but that's how it is (I know too many lawyers and law students!). And if you thank the above's bad, my mate had to sit through a case (while waiting for his DUI) where a clueless bint drove through a pedestrian crossing outside a school and severly injured a kid.
    The judge said: "You have suffered enough. You are free to go."
    Then my mate gets the book thrown at him for sneaking home through Western Springs slightly over the limit at 3 in the morning with the only car he passed on the whole trip the one cop car that stopped him. But hey, he was a young yobbo driving a shitbox old falcoon.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey
    I didn't say I agree with it, but that's how it is (I know too many lawyers and law students!). And if you thank the above's bad, my mate had to sit through a case (while waiting for his DUI) where a clueless bint drove through a pedestrian crossing outside a school and severly injured a kid.
    The judge said: "You have suffered enough. You are free to go."
    Then my mate gets the book thrown at him for sneaking home through Western Springs slightly over the limit at 3 in the morning with the only car he passed on the whole trip the one cop car that stopped him. But hey, he was a young yobbo driving a shitbox old falcoon.
    Fair enough.
    You do know that John Banks says that all drivers of old Falcoons an holdons
    are crim,s Aye!!.Dunn,o what e, thinks of bikers but

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    Fair enough.
    You do know that John Banks says that all drivers of old Falcoons an holdons
    are crim,s Aye!!.Dunn,o what e, thinks of bikers but
    He IS a biker - he has one o them Hoggely Doggely things.

Actually unlike most of the HD guys on here I think he's a bloody fashion victim.

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    It is different but not perfect by any means. We don't have political appointments as judges and chiefs of police for a starter...
    YET! But it is coming to a city near you soon. With the abolition of access to the Privvy council, our gaurdians have set up a new Supreme Court, which will have politically appointed judges...
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Thread Information