Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TPX radar detector v2.0. Initial impressions

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There are cheaper options. I've been using something like this for five years now.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-T...c4c421&vxp=mtr

Of course you have to decide that you do not want to use a tank bag.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There are cheaper options. I've been using something like this for five years now.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-T...c4c421&vxp=mtr
    Of course you have to decide that you do not want to use a tank bag.
    My option is to have the radar detector inside the tank bag - keep use of a tank bag and the detector is out of sight.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    My option is to have the radar detector inside the tank bag - keep use of a tank bag and the detector is out of sight.
    I planned on doing that if the then Minister of Transport had persisted with his half-arsed idea to make detectors illegal.

When he decided that he wouldn't ban cellphone use by drivers, but he would ban radar detectors I thought he was in the wrong job. Similar thoughts must have occurred to other people too 'cause next election he was gone.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    As an example of the TPX v2's range, I picked up a signal today on Hakarimata Rd (between Ngaruawahia and Huntly). This road runs beside the Waikato River. It winds about a bit just where I was and has a rock face up on the west side and the river on the east side.

I picked up the signal at the quarry along there. The copper was just north of Porrit Ave, close to Tainui brisge. That's 2.2km on the road.

Pretty good I thought. (Waits to hear of 7km + claims...)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    09 GSX1400.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    As an example of the TPX v2's range, I picked up a signal today on Hakarimata Rd (between Ngaruawahia and Huntly). This road runs beside the Waikato River. It winds about a bit just where I was and has a rock face up on the west side and the river on the east side.

I picked up the signal at the quarry along there. The copper was just north of Porrit Ave, close to Tainui brisge. That's 2.2km on the road.

They're a fantastic road safety device slofox.
    Imagine if you had drifted over the 104, you could have been maimed.

The V1 often gets readings from up to 1km , sometimes more.

Bike
    A

Using my V2 in the truck (for trial purposes of course) it's not uncommon to get the first warning several kilometres out, but really only when the topography is in my favour. On the Desert Rd for example, anything between 3 and 5 km for the first chirp is quite common.

This month especially it seems the 'instant on' method of the HP has been discarded, now 'always on' seems common place.

And consider the fact the detector is about 2.5 metres above road surface is a help as well...

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries

TPX use in a car??

The trusty Beltronics STI has been stolen and instead of spending $999 for a new one I am considering the TPX. Price is more acceptable and will use it on bike and in car. What I can't find out is, does the TPX have a speaker or chirper so the alert can be heard in a car and is it loud enough? I was also thinking of the Bean mount - has anyone got one tried one. All from Radar Direct: $638 Det package, $59 car kit, $69 Bean mount. I have a few mounts so something should fit the bike and I can always put the detector in the tank bag.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Various
    The trusty Beltronics STI has been stolen and instead of spending $999 for a new one I am considering the TPX. Price is more acceptable and will use it on bike and in car. What I can't find out is, does the TPX have a speaker or chirper so the alert can be heard in a car and is it loud enough? I was also thinking of the Bean mount - has anyone got one tried one. All from Radar Direct: $638 Det package, $59 car kit, $69 Bean mount. I have a few mounts so something should fit the bike and I can always put the detector in the tank bag.
    It does have a speaker, volume should be fine for inside the car unless you have the stereo or similar wound up. Only possible drawback is that the speaker is on the bottom of the unit, so may not work so well with a bean mount as I'd imagine that may muffle the sound.
    Can't really help with real world use in the car as I use a V1 for that and the TPX for the bike.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Nada
    Yerp, nil worries

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

I regularly use mine in the car. Works just fine.

You can get a car kit to mount it but I use an old Viper holder (coupla suction cups stick to windscreen) with some twin lock to stick the TPX to it with. No probs.

Volume? I always have to turn it way down in the car else it's too loud.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6

Volume? I always have to turn it way down in the car else it's too loud.
    Agree with that! Would deafen you if you didn't turn it down in the car!
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    A
    Yep the TPX 2.0 works fine in the car. The main comment might be the display angle being more suited for looking down to, as in from above the bars of a bike, rather than looking from behind as in when mounted in car. But yeah, set before moving off and all sweet.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Just brought the TPX 2.0 with mount and HARD led for the helmet. Got to say, real easy to fit, easy to use.......not sure what the detection range is like but I guess I will find out soon enough.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Just brought the TPX 2.0 with mount and HARD led for the helmet. Got to say, real easy to fit, easy to use.......not sure what the detection range is like but I guess I will find out soon enough.
    I had a weird positive signal this morning. Heard the Ka go off, couldn't see a HP anywhere. Carried on several km and eventually found the sender. But in between where I heard him and where I found him are several hills and lots of twisty road.

Either the signal hadn't come from the guy I saw (likely I reckon), or else it was getting bounced around all over the place for me to hear it where I did. Unusual for the TPX.

Overall, the range is pretty good in my experience. Between The Tron and d'Auckland, we often get signals between two and three km from the source. Depends a little on terrain and traffic. It's rare not to get a warning from quite some distance away.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    One of my helmets has the HARD system fitted, it gives nowhere near the warning I get from the same detector through a speaker. When that light flashes the brakes need to go on real quick.

Thread Information