Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPX radar detector v2.0. Initial impressions

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

TPX radar detector v2.0. Initial impressions

Adaptiv Technologies, the producers of the TPX motorcycle Radar Detectors, have just released the v2.0 iteration of their product.

Because I have had a couple of build quality issues with my v1.0 unit, the kind souls at AT have sent me a v2.0 replacement unit at no cost to myself. Very generous I thought since none of the issues ever interfered with the functioning of the original unit - at least not after rectifying the problems and since the issues happened well after expiry of the warranty period. Nonetheless, these people have enough belief in what they are doing and the product they produce, to go to such lengths to keep a far distant customer more than happy. Well done I say.

First, the issues with v1.0. The unit broke free from the baseplate that it is mounted on. Originally glued in place, the glue failed. I reglued it on advice from AT. Twice, since the first glue (regular Araldite) failed after a couple of months. A second attempt, using Selley's "plastic glue" (a two solution product) was much more successful with no further issues in the following eight months.

Second issue related to the first. After regluing the baseplate the unit had problems with the power lead plug in. It would lose power and reboot at regular intervals. Really annoying on a long trip. This problem was solved by sticking a rubber band round the unit to hold the power plug more tightly to the socket. AT told me that this was common if the baseplate had been reglued.

So. This second issue has been rectified in v2.0. The unit now has a short power lead as an integral part of the unit itself. The wiring loom plugs into this short lead instead of into the unit itself. In other words they have moved the plug in point out of the unit itself and down a short lead. Which should be a lot more secure.

The most important modification though is increased sensitivity in all bands. I ran a basic test on this yesterday by travelling towards a known speed sign. These fire out a K band signal. Compared to the original v1. unit, the v2.0 detected this signal about 25% further out. Which is definitely worth having. It should be noted that the detector lit up as soon as I got into the line of sight of the sign. The approach is up out of a gully and around a corner. Given a longer straight road, it may have picked up the signal further out again. It did let me know before I was fully round the corner, but did not pick up the signal when I was down in the dip.

There are other mods in the v2.0. More options for filtering out X and K bands as well as a choice of city or highway mode. I've never used any of these anyway so have no real opinion on how useful they are.

So, better sensitivity and better build quality. Both worth having. And still waterproof and shockproof as well. And very bike friendly, having been "designed by bikers for bikers"...big fat glove friendly buttons, LCD readout, LED visual alert and optional wireless headset. Oh and it works fine in the car as well if you just jig up some way of holding it steady and rig a power lead from the ciggie socket. I think you can actually buy a car lead for it but I made mine myself.

I'd buy one again.

I'll add to this review in future weeks if I find anything else worthy of comment.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000S K7
    X band is used by McDonalds for their door openers!
    K band is used by the speed awareness signs.
    Pulsed low power K band is used by the speed camera vans.
    Ka band is used by the highway patrol and police cars fitted with traffic radar.
    Lidar is the "Laser" hand held gun.
    POP radar AFAIK isn't used in NZ (and as far as the Police radar gun manufacturers as concerned can't be used to issue an infringement notice as it isn't accurate by any stretch of the imagination (proven by multiple anti radar tests and in court in the US on multiple accounts)).
    Thought for the day: Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they're funny when they're pushed down the stairs. Also: Who picks up guide dog shit?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Update:

Latest opinions on the v2.0:

The greater sensitivity is obvious - picking up signals from much further out than before - including camera van signal believe it or not. Probably still not enough warning to save your arse if you are at warp factor 9, but you do get it before you are actually beside the van, which is what the v1.0 used to do.

The extra filtering options have also proved usable. I've opted to cut out all x band which makes city riding more pleasant without all those chirps from door sensors. Still get a few K bands but then hey, camera vans are K too, aren't they?

Build quality so far shows no problems.

Very happy with the unit.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2010 r6 road, 07 R6 track
    is ku band used in New Zealand?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispy121 View Post
    is ku band used in New Zealand?
    No IIRC...

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Still get a few K bands but then hey, camera vans are K too, aren't they?
    The old ones were, the newer ones use Ka band at a narrower angle, so harder to detect at long range.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    hmmmmmm how hard it is to make KA noisemakers.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
    The old ones were, the newer ones use Ka band at a narrower angle, so harder to detect at long range.
    Speed cameras have gone back to K.
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    Correct. At the very bottom end of the band I seem to remember reading.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    Shouldn't you be out selling urine to farmers or whatever it is you do?

Yes, I hate to say it (you *%$# ) but you're right (Got my K, Ka & Ku's confused! Dunno why they all have to have Ksomething!) - the very latest (digital) ones use K band, but not as you used to know it, it's a lower frequency than the old ones (and the old K band mobile radars) and low power as well, so very hard to detect until you're almost on top of them, even with a very good detector. That said though there still are Ka band cameras in use around the place.

The best speed camera detectors are still your eyes.....

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    2010 Triumph Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
    The best speed camera detectors are still your eyes.....
    Eyes may be good for speed cameras, but not for patrol cars, by the time you see them they've got you clocked, which is why I'm reading this thread with interest. Might have to get me one of them TX thingys. I got up to 95 demerits and, fearing the impending 3 months walking, sat down and did some serious thinking about my predicament. During this thought process certain things became apparent to me. Typical scenario.. I'm cruising along at say 120k and see a cop. I slow down, but too late, he's already clocked me, switched on his pretty lights and has got me bailed up on the side of the road. So I figured it goes something like this. When I see him and slow down three things are apparent.
    1, I am admitting that I know I'm speeding.
    2, I am admitting that I am intimidated by the cops.
    3, I am an easier target.
    So, this in mind, I tried a different approach. The next time I was doing 120k and saw a cop I immediately took my speed up to 130k. He flashed his lights at me and kept going!! lol

But yeah, when that doesn't work it's gonna cost big time, so yeah, looks like a TX for me.

Bike
    GSX1400
    I've just fitted one of these and have a couple of questions.

• What's the cheapest/best source of CR2450 batteries you've found? Best I've found so far is TradeMe, 10 for ~$16.
    • Do you disconnect the power whenever you're not riding the bike? I'm guessing that it would take quite sometime before standby power drains my battery.
    • Do you put it in your pocket when you're stopping at the pub/coffee shop?

Only had one ride so far but it sure does open up a whole new world of alertness.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully Clown View Post
    I've just fitted one of these and have a couple of questions.

• What's the cheapest/best source of CR2450 batteries you've found? Best I've found so far is TradeMe, 10 for ~$16.
    • Do you disconnect the power whenever you're not riding the bike? I'm guessing that it would take quite sometime before standby power drains my battery.
    • Do you put it in your pocket when you're stopping at the pub/coffee shop?

Only had one ride so far but it sure does open up a whole new world of alertness.

1. I buy the batteries from Trade me as well.

2. My TPX is powered via a switched relay so every time I turn the ignitiion off, the TPX is disconnected as well.

3. Depends. I can park the helmet on top of it and it cannot be seen. In places I feel safe or am close by this is usually enough. If I am in a new place and am going to be away fromn the bike for any length of time I might take it with me.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Update

Bugger. The v2.0 unit has just karked it - totally I think. Does not react to any signal any more. It was fine one day and didn't work the next. Bit of a bugger really since i don't have the income to buy anything else. Guess I'll just have to become a more law abiding citizen, eh...

I'll post up the outcome of this.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    So that's 2 Tpx's you've gone through SF?

How old was the v2.0?

My mate and I both got one in Feb although you'd do a hell of a lot more k's, I hope the supplier has a look as to why it failed and then fixes or replaces for you.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Thread Information