Thread: Rear shock on a CBX550F?

Bike
    less than I used to have

Rear shock on a CBX550F?

...put some weight on the rear of my girls CBX550F and it bottoms out and stays down, then slowly returns. Has about 30lbs of air in it...my knowledge of such things runs out about now....what could the problem I am looking for be...a fucked shock?? maybe...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Is it a prolink honda, if so then take a close look at the shock as it probably has adjustable rebound.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMSec View Post
    ...put some weight on the rear of my girls CBX550F and it bottoms out and stays down, then slowly returns. Has about 30lbs of air in it...my knowledge of such things runs out about now....what could the problem I am looking for be...a fucked shock?? maybe...
    As its near 30 years old its in any event not going to be very healthy. But also how about the state of your linkage bearings?

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post

. But also how about the state of your linkage bearings?
    That was my first thought.

They're prolly close to seized solid.

Failing that I'd have a look at the shock shaft, to see if it's got a bend...It shouldn't.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ..I,m just about to bite the bullet and go to the shed to get intimate with that Honda setup...I do have a manual for it and as its my good wifes bike, I am going to learn new things, whether I like it or not...I will check the linkages and pull the shock out and go from there. Last night when I was tired and trying to get my 350f ready for our support role at the Lady Wigram Revival meeting which kicked off today, it seemed like another mountain to add to the list of things to do...but right now, after a few hours at Ruapuna , a few practice laps and the car club having set up a marquee for the bike class and conversing with Dennis Ireland and playing on the track with him and then getting a soul full of Formula 5000 noise , power and spectacle....it all seems like a doddle...bet I'm back with more questions tho...thanks...

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Ah, that old chest nut....
    The MVX had a similer shock, could well have been the same... I used to put so many PSI's in it, that RT would cringe, shake his head and walk away with a smirk on his face......

It is amazing how one gets motivated after a little motorsport fix...

Never heard of one not rebounding before though. How did you get on?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    back in the day the linkage bushes were like $12 each so it wasn't too bad to rebuild.

Every 20 thou it would get a bit bouncy & I'd take it to Craig at Ace & he'd use the press to pump out the old oil & suck in new stuff. Hey this was the late 80s & my test was if you could do a hundy in old money down the Nauranga gorge (a private test facility that shares its name with a section of St h1, merely by chance) without it wobbling then you were on to a winner. Can't remember what pressure was run, but you could have anything from a bent shaft to who knows what with such an old beast.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Well sounds like spring too as that should hold it up or is air only i forget i did have cbx 400 in 80s
    but should imagine new damper whould be needed too

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

..I,m just about to bite the bullet and go to the shed to get intimate with that Honda setup...I do have a manual for it and as its my good wifes bike, I am going to learn new things, whether I like it or not...I will check the linkages and pull the shock out and go from there. Last night when I was tired and trying to get my 350f ready for our support role at the Lady Wigram Revival meeting which kicked off today, it seemed like another mountain to add to the list of things to do...but right now, after a few hours at Ruapuna , a few practice laps and the car club having set up a marquee for the bike class and conversing with Dennis Ireland and playing on the track with him and then getting a soul full of Formula 5000 noise , power and spectacle....it all seems like a doddle...bet I'm back with more questions tho...thanks...
    while your at it the bike shop added some grease nipples to mine no funny remarks please am taking about the swingarm here
    beacuse my bike got water in the swing arm bushs and got sqweak so that might be idea then can use grease to keep it going

the old timers all talked about lack nipples oh the good old days actually they use to say oil and grease but of course noting to grease these days hehe

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...it was all of the above mentioned things...30 year old and well fucked shock...linkages that may as well have been a rigid setup....I did find that hoisting the old girl up on a chain block and tieing the swingarm up made it a very simple and easy fix...I had to buy a bike and a half and half a trailer load of parts to acquire the bits, but managed to get a new chain and clutch plates, two cdi's and spare cables and a good shock....and passed the whole lot that was left onto a bloke who wanted them...thanks ...took a while though...now that I have her bike ready to go it seems like the good weather she likes to play in has all but evaporated....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear sorted. Weather will be stunning rest of month & very dry & calm in April. I have decreed it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information