Thread: Grand Challenge XXV, 2011

Bike
    None any more

Grand Challenge XXV, 2011

Turangi is an interesting place. In recent years we’ve got into the habit of visiting in October so we can leave and then return to it about a day later, generally after winding on about 1,630km or thereabouts. Surprisingly there are other motorcyclists with similar urges on exactly the same weekend each year.

There is a call to action. The Rusty Nuts Motorcycle Club has an annual event called the Grand Challenge: 1,000 miles (in the extremely old money) to be completed within 24 hours, starting and finishing at Turangi’s motor camp. There’s a different route each year, taking in a selection of the North Island’s roads. The route is determined by sealed roads (apart from the odd patch of roadworks) and 24-hour petrol stations.

The route is usually revealed at 7:00pm on the Friday evening before the Saturday afternoon start. The start is usually at and following 3:00pm.

This year things were a bit different. This was the 25th Grand Challenge. It was moved to a couple of weekends later than usual, thanks to the International 15-a-side Tournament and changed school holidays dates. The 1,600km event was preceded on the Friday by a 900km excursion, to give the 30-odd riders who opted for that to clock up 2,500 “official” km for the weekend. That number proved to be almost half of this year’s field.

Another change this year was the start time: brought forward to 1:00pm. My speculation as to why that change had been made proved correct. We were to be sent off around East Cape, and the proprietors of the Tokomaru Bay store wanted to shut up shop by 8:00pm.

Usually there’s a “time check” stop en route to Checkpoint 1. Not this year.

Also the route was revealed early on Friday instead of at the traditional 7:00pm. All a bit anticlimactic, removing the usual dinner conversation topic at the Truck Stop Cafe.

Rider numbers too were lower than some expected, particularly given that this was the 25th running of this event.

This was my 7th start for what I hoped would be my 6th finish. I have absolutely no memory of my 6th start in 2010. Mrs H turned up to make her starts and finishes five from five.

Our bikes passed scrutineering on Friday morning. That’s always a relief. The Rustys’ inspectors are rigorous, only approving bikes they believe would pass a WOF after having completed the event.

So what was this year’s route?

• Start at Turangi
    • Checkpoint 1 at Tokomaru Bay (at the store)
    • Checkpoint 2 at Opotiki (at the Caltex on Bridge Street)
    • Checkpoint 3 at Havelock North (opposite the public toilets in the middle of town)
    • Departing from CP3 down Middle Road, returning to SH2 at Waipawa
    • Turning into Takapau township, on to Ormondville, returning to SH2 at Norsewood
    • Checkpoint 4 at Eketahuna (at the GAS on the main street)
    • Returning to Mangamaire, Pahiatua Track, Ashhurst, Colyton, Vinegar Hill, Waiouru, SH59, Fields Track to SH4
    • Checkpoint 5 at Raukawa Falls (near the old store, now closed)
    • Return to Turangi via National Park and Rangipo.

The weather was excellent. Rain threatened almost immediately after the start on our way to Taupo. We got a couple of showers on our way to SH5 and then at the top end of the Napier-Taupo road. Another heavy shower at Tutira, and that was it. Low cloying ick between Pahiatua and Eketahuna, and again over the Pahiatua track didn’t cause any discomfort, apart from a lack of visibility. The fog patches south of Wairoa in the wee smalls were more troubling.

We weren’t that certain as to what the overall conditions of the roads around East Cape would be like or whether or not it would be raining around that section. The forecast was ambivalent, so anything could have happened. Mrs H was given a mandate to set a cracking pace to our first fuel stop at Wairoa. And she did. A 100kmh average is a good result for the first stage of a Grand Challenge.

I led from Wairoa until Tokomaru Bay and then Mrs H set the pace to Opotiki. The road from Te Araroa to Opotiki was festooned with roadworks. We were also fast loosing daylight along that stretch.

Mrs H took the lead again from Opotiki and ran down another GC contender on a Harley with more red lights on its rear than Vivian Street on a Friday night. Boy could that dude ride, and set a lovely smooth, safe and brisk assault up the Waioeka Gorge.

After the Havelock North checkpoint, the run down Middle Road was careful, rather than quick. There are some interesting corners on that road during daylight, so I wasn’t taking any chances in the dark.

Daylight started to appear as we made Ormondville and high beam was able to be dispensed with shortly before Woodville.

I think we saw fewer than 10 vehicles going the other way between Tokomaru Bay and Eketahuna. When the world goes to bed, sometimes it really goes to bed.

Fields Track was no great trauma. Indeed it was a pleasant interlude before the run back from Checkpoint 5 to Turangi and a hot Rusty lunch.

We were home at midday. 23 hours. We’d had a couple of longish stops, which eat time, and hadn’t pushed when we didn’t need to.

Our Suzukis behaved themselves admirably. Mrs H’s GSF650K6 (technically a Bandit) has now completed three GCs. My GSX1250FA (technically not a Bandit) has now completed one.

This was an emotionally charged event for me, after the trauma of last year. On that run I had a brain hemorrhage about 300km into the event, after passing through the Makuri settlement en route to Pongaroa. This caused me to crash, a crash which also gave me a rather nasty concussion. I have no memory of that crash or indeed of having ridden a motorcycle that day. I’ve also got memory lapses for most of the preceding day.

I needed to complete this year’s ride, but didn’t want to disappoint or cause anybody else any grief. Fortunately I have a riding mate who understands, and the Rustys were just tremendous too.

I appreciated being able to meet the riders who saved me last year. “It’s just what you have to do, mate.” Well, thanks for doing it to me. Thanks somehow don’t seem to be enough recognition or appreciation for the care that allowed me to survive largely unscathed and to be able to ride the following year’s Grand Challenge. But Rusty riders are like that. Without exception, they’re genuinely great people.

A Grand Challenge is an event that can’t really be explained to somebody who hasn’t done one. Tell the uninitiated what you did over that weekend and they think you’re either nuts, making it all up, or both. That includes bikers who just don’t get this whole endurance riding business. However there are others who know exactly what it’s all about and love every minute and km of it. I’m looking forward to meeting this close-knit family in Turangi again next year.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well done, both for completing, and also for coming back from a major crash last year, to be riding again, plus completing the GC.

Good read
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Awesome read Brett and congrats on completing this yr, last yrs incident is now truly in the past.

Congrats to Mrs H on completing as well
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    1996 ZZR 1100 D4,
    Well done mate I couldn't make it this year for my 6th run but cheers for the well documented commentry of the event, and well done for completing this year after your unfortunate DNF last year.
    9 down 26 to go

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Done awesome there Hitcher .. and congrats to Mrs H too ... coming back from a major crash is always hard - but good challenges help!
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    One day I will walk up to you and say ....So you are the infamous Mr Hitcher!

I did finally get to meet KoroJ.

Was a good run, really glad you got back on this year, hope to see you next year.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by chanceyy View Post
    Congrats to Mrs H on completing as well
    Mrs H wants to know if you'll join her for next years?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    ...and this year's C1KC!?

Good read Brett.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    its on the bucket list will need to do a whole heap of riding to be half way fit for that kind of riding much kudos to you guys

Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    ...and this year's C1KC!?
    Yes bit gutted that injuries have put me out for last two
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear you are loving the GC and after the events of last year! Always great to read these reports since I have been unable to do a GC yet!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    GL1800
    That was a good read! Pics?

Cheers

Shafty
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Thread Information