Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevlar jeans

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Since Santa stuffed them into my stocking, the Rhinos have only had a few rides. The build quality appears good. Rhino also claim flame protection. There's more kevlar in the Rhinos than in Draggins. Kevlar offers abrasion protection, so the thickness of it is largely irrelevant. The armour comes with the Rhinos -- knee and hip protection, for what it's worth. "Optional" means whether one decides to fit it to the trousers or not. The last place anybody would want armour is on one's arse or thighs. Anybody who thinks that they need that much should buy a car.
    Looks like I might buy a pair of Rhinos then. The synthetic riding pants I have at the moment are unbearably hot in summer, especially when I'm riding around town. I probably will fit the extra armour as well, just in case. I can't afford a car.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    If I could work out how to drop the bike and then get dragged behind it in Draggin jeans holding on to a ski rope until we came to a gentle stop I would consider wearing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKzAORD35I

Bike
    Your mom
    Does anyone here know of any shops in Christchurch which sell Rhino jeans? I have had a look on their website and they don't mention any places in Christchurch. I'd really like to try on a pair before I fork out $169 for jeans which don't fit properly.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Does anyone here know of any shops in Christchurch which sell Rhino jeans? I have had a look on their website and they don't mention any places in Christchurch. I'd really like to try on a pair before I fork out $169 for jeans which don't fit properly.
    Because of the way the legs are made, leg length is also important, in addition to your waist measurement. Your missus or your mum won't be able to easily trim a bit off and rehem them. I think Rhinos come in short, medium and tall variants.

Try asking the friendly retail assistants at your favourite bike shop to get you in some versions to experiment with.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Looks like I might buy a pair of Rhinos then.
    I've had mine 2 years odd, they're still in good nick. I like the zipped ankles, although they're a little heavier than the old draggins.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Since Santa stuffed them into my stocking, the Rhinos have only had a few rides. The build quality appears good. Rhino also claim flame protection. There's more kevlar in the Rhinos than in Draggins. Kevlar offers abrasion protection, so the thickness of it is largely irrelevant. The armour comes with the Rhinos -- knee and hip protection, for what it's worth. "Optional" means whether one decides to fit it to the trousers or not. The last place anybody would want armour is on one's arse or thighs. Anybody who thinks that they need that much should buy a car.

I have 2 pairs of the Rhino black 'cargo' jeans, had them for about 8 months, washed several times, they as you say, seem to be easily equal to draggin's at half the price. I do like the availability of 2 leg lengths and the provided knee/hip armour. Would certainly say they seem to be up to the job so far.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Did you get knee sliders fitted?
    My goal is to use my sliders this year. Maybe a track day our 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2005 speed triple
    Hi i have had all sorts of jeans from the cheap Kevlar lines ones to Draggin jeans and have to say the cheap ones look shit and feel shit as far as protection goes and yes i have been down the road in Draggin jeans and they stand up pretty well not as good as leather of course but way way better than standard jeans.
    I haven't tried corduroy pants yet although i do wear a Spidi textile jacket sometimes so might try some modern pants one day

Bike
    2007 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I've got a pair of these which are comfy and waterproof.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ess-Boots.aspx

Mine are Diadora branded.
    I bought these (or the earlier equivilant) close to 3 years ago now. They've been used, abused, fallen off once and hit a few large rocks or sticks at moderate speed. Love them to bits, often wear them to work and don't bother bringing other shoes. Fairly acceptable as normal boots.

Only issues I've had are that they get very hot pretty easily and after all that abuse they've lost their waterproofing. Go figure.
    Library Schooled

Bike
    Trip and Fanta
    Quote Originally Posted by Milts View Post
    Only issues I've had are that they get very hot pretty easily and after all that abuse they've lost their waterproofing. Go figure.
    Smother them in bonedry that will get them waterproof again.

Bike
    CBR600 F4, GT650, GT250R
    1Tonne do a kevlar jean for $165 and if you ask nicely I'm pretty sure (99%) that he'll chuck in the knee armour for free. Tried some on the other week and they fit well and look, well, like jeans really. Depends on how much you need them to look like designer ones I guess, although I thought they looked better than the Draggin CE ones which have gold stitching and look like dad's jeans from the 80s.

Obviously you won't be able to try before you buy, but personal experience has shown they are sweet as with exchanges, or return and refund if they're no good (boots not jeans in my case). He did actually tell me that he wouldn't recommend me buying/wearing them since they do decent textile for about the same price and he reckons jeans and bikes is a bit of a shit idea - he only stocks them due to the high demand at the moment. Bet you don't get advice like that from your average Draggin/Rhino stockist.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Methane_Birds View Post
    Bet you don't get advice like that from your average Draggin/Rhino stockist.
    Who sell kevlar jeans, because their clients demand them, on exactly the same basis as 1Tonne? I don't understand your argument at all.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Who sell kevlar jeans, because their clients demand them, on exactly the same basis as 1Tonne? I don't understand your argument at all.
    Agreed. When I bought my leather pants from Lifestyle I asked about the jeans and he said the same. They are nothing like as good as leather. If I was to get some it would be from Rhino. I may get some soon for short local trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hood jeans from the UK are great, lined to about half way down your shins.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Gnnngh. Gah. Fumblesticks.

How your gear works in an accident is entirely situational and dependent entirely on the individual accident itself.

My super reinforced leathers with hard armour and 400x stitching fucked me up horribly in my last accident. I sport scars on one elbow from where the armour shattered and dug out a teaspoon full of flesh down to the bone and lacerated my arm from elbow to wrist. One knee has scars from the armour doing the same there. The seams at the hips on my leather trousers split exposing my panty line to gravel rash. My CF helmet split in two. My right ankle was pulp, without any major breaks, but I have NO cartilage in that joint now. It aches like a bastard when I ride the RVF because of vibration. It aches like a bastard when I do those 12-15km walks I do. The only piece of gear I'd say did "good" in the accident were my gloves which didn't look worn and left the knuckles on my left hand black and blue but no breaks or epidermal damage at all. I reckon I would have been better off with the Draggin jeans, Knox armour knee pads, cordura jacket and shorty boots. With the shorty boots my ankle would have broken leaving me with something that could be fixed instead of the abortion I have now.

Woulda.

Coulda

Shoulda.

It's ALL speculation. Ride a bike, have an accident, take your lumps and DON'T bitch about the gear you were or weren't wearing. You have to DEAL with the outcome, not the precursor and after crashing on the track and crashing on the road, I'd have to say that the road is a much more dangerous place to take a spill and you can't rely on anything protecting you at all, except dumb, blind luck.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information