Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Kevlar jeans

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Oh come on dont be dick if you going have go at me least have balls to say so
    I cant help u cant read stevie wonder
    LOL. I assure you that the problem isn't with my ability to read...

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Leather can be cool.

1. Get pants with punched panels for breathing and wear shorts underneath
    2. Get a jacket with arm and back zip vents

After my slow 40kph off with leg pinned under sliding bike + shoulder & elbow sliding along the road, I'm thankful like fuck I wasn't wearing some fucking denim or cordura. Seriously. I walked away with a bruised foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    2002 vtr250
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Que?
    That's how Patrick rolls. He's from Palmerston North

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    That's how Patrick rolls. He's from Palmerston North
    Say no more...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by skinman View Post
    Lookout, i think I hear the punctuation, grammar & spelling police coming
    No chance, waaay too much effort...

Effort that would be wasted on the AttentionInfant.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post

After my slow 40kph off with leg pinned under sliding bike + shoulder & elbow sliding along the road, I'm thankful like fuck I wasn't wearing some fucking denim or cordura. Seriously. I walked away with a bruised foot.
    I had one of those in Draggins and there was not a mark on me nor the Draggins. There are no absolutes when it comes to crashing a motorcycle. Que sera sera.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2000 XJR1300
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Yes.

If you want to balance comfort and protection, I think it pays to consider how crashes are likely to affect you.

In my experience, the bits of you that touch the ground when you bin, in order of likelihood depending on how violent the crash is, and ignoring the head because you'll be wearing a complusary hamlet anyway, are:

1. Hands (abrasion).

2. Knees (impact).

3. Hips / buttocks (impact, abrasion if you're going fast enough).

4. Elbows / forearms (abrasion, impact if it's a highside or other awkward sort of bin).

Which suggests that, apart from the complusary hamlet, gear priority should be:

1. Leather gloves. Your hands will touch down first. And you need knuckle armour. The number of gloves I've seen with thick plastic or carbon fibre knuckle armour that's been half ground away against the road... you want properly armoured gloves.

2. Knee armour that sits properly over the patella and is held there firmly enough to stay where it should in a bin. If you don't want to wear hot uncomfortable pants, get some strap-on MX knee armour and wear it under nice light jeans. It'll serve you well.

3. Gear's not going to save you from bruised hips or arse, but it will save the skin on them if you go for a slide. This is where Kevlar-lined pants are supposed to come into play - the fabric won't tear. You'll get burned skin under it, but you won't have gravel in the rash (based on the time I wrote off an R1 while wearing my Draggins). It still hurts though. Then again, normal jeans perform surprisingly well when they go down the road, too. I'm not sure that Kevlar offers much benefit - so long as the jeans don't rip, your skin will actually burn less during the slide since the material's a lot smoother than that rough Kevlar lining.

Heck, I've been down the road in lycra cycling shorts a few times at up to about 40kph and they never tore. I think most people overestimate the violence that a lowside at around-town speeds does to one's bum.

Leather is what really works, though. Basically, if you're not wearing leather over your arse and you find yourself doing the ton on your bum, you're going to need a skin graft. So either ride in a way that will avoid high-speed lowsides, or wear a one-piece or leather pants. This really applies mostly to the track, I think - if you do the ton on your bum on a public road, there probably won't be enough road to finish taking the skin off you before you wind up as strawberry jam against a bank, around a power pole or under a truck coming the other way. So you might as well just wear jeans.

4. Wear a good armoured leather jacket and your elbows and forearms and whatnot should be sweet as.

Heh. I've spent the last four days solid playing a computer game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eld...olls_V:_Skyrim

It's fucking brilliant. In fact, I might play it some more now.

My motorbike lives in the lounge, though, so I can keep an eye on it.

All good advice, but pity none of that stops broken bones. I dropped my bike on a roundabout at 40km/h and tore a big hole in my elbow, and broke my leg an inch above my ankle. I have good leather gear, and good boots and gloves but none of it stopped the injuries you get when you find 500lb of bike on top of you, grinding you slowly into the road.

How do you drop a bike at 40k on a roundabout I hear being asked. It was actually quite simple. Hot Tarmac (28 degree day), 5 min skiff of rain about 3pm (turning surface of tarmac into greasy slick), back wheel stepped out halfway round, speedway style (which is easily enough ridden out of). 3/4 way round roundabout there was a fresh Telecom cable channel across road. Front wheel rode over it, back wheel didnt, bike flipped over other way and fell on top of me (wasnt going fast enought to be ejected by the high side). Travelled about 10 metres under bike. It was enough.

Ist car behind me, (about 2 metres behind me) stopped and driver and two passengers lift bike off me. Jacket sleeve (on correct size and well secured jacket) had ridden up past my elbow, hence elbow damage, and foot was 90 degrees to leg. (not sure what bit of bike caused that).

Point is, sometimes it doesnt matter what gear you've got, 300 dollars worth or 3000 dollars worth, if it wants to, the roads still gonna get you. Buy what you're comfortable with, knowing that no matter what you've got, it cant protect you against everything, and sometimes it's going to be something small that fucks you up.

FWIW I buy my gear more with weather protection in mind, rather than road protection, but that might be just a Southland thing.

Bike
    None any more
    Cause and effect. There are only a few basics when it comes to choosing appropriate motorcycling apparel:

• wear a helmet;
    • wear gloves;
    • wear footwear that won't come off in a fall, or which has laces that can't become ensnared in the motorcycle;
    • make sure all your skin is covered at all times by something that should survive moderate abrasive contact.

End of story. Anything else is just conjecture with way too many potentially affecting variables, or just ATGATT fascism.

I have a leather jacket. I only wear it in summer. I enjoy wearing kevlar denims during summer. I hate wearing leather trou at any time of year. I don't wear a back protector. I would never wear a backpack (wearing the two together is mind boggling: perhaps one negates the effect of the other?). Armour? If it's comfortably fitted to garments, why not, but I'm not religious about that because armour's only got a low percentage chance of appreciably spreading impact forces. I wear earplugs and corrective eyewear.

This has been my riding apparel policy since day 1, nine years ago. Despite a number of departures from my steed over the years, I have made no changes to my riding apparel policy.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Fleecy track pants have about the same level of protection as kevlar jeans. And they're cheaper.
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    Fleecy track pants have about the same level of protection as kevlar jeans. And they're cheaper.
    A fetishist on a budget. What next.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    A fetishist on a budget. What next.
    Kevlar jeans are as much use as a one legged man at an arse kicking party....
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian407 View Post
    All good advice, but pity none of that stops broken bones.
    YeahIknow.

The only broken bone I ever got in a bin was the lower bone in my left thumb getting shattered into a dozen pieces when I highsided a GSXR750 and the handlebar crushed it against the tank before I got spat off. I was wearing perfectly decent gloves at the time. I don't think they made a lot of difference to anything.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Your mom
    I don't wear a back protector. I would never wear a backpack (wearing the two together is mind boggling: perhaps one negates the effect of the other?).
    What's wrong with riding while wearing a backpack?

Bike
    2000 XJR1300

This has been my riding apparel policy since day 1, nine years ago. Despite a number of departures from my steed over the years, I have made no changes to my riding apparel policy.
    Ummmm.... a number of departures in nine years??? are you not any good at this bike riding lark? I can count on the remaining fingers of one hand the 'number of departures' i've had in 40 years, and i'm finally starting to get good at it.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    What's wrong with riding while wearing a backpack?
    Nothing. But what's it going to do to one's back if one bins and lands upon it? What's it going to to if one bins and one's ability to roll is impaired? What's it going to do if one bins and the backpack snags on some part of the motorcycle one is in the process of exiting?

I believe that there is value in riding as clean (apparel wise) as possible. Laces, buckles, straps, packs, piercings and anything else that can snag or bump are best left elsewhere.

Thread Information