Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevlar jeans

Bike
    Your mom

Kevlar jeans

I'm looking for some riding jeans as my riding pants are unbearably hot in summer as they're similar to ski pants. Draggin jeans are way out of my price range, so I'm looking at spending no more than $150. I've seen a pair of new Shift Lodown jeans on Trademe for $99, and a few other different kevlar jeans on Trademe as well for less than $150 new. Can anyone here recommend a pair?

I'd prefer to buy jeans from a shop so I can try them on first but I won't rule out buying them online if the price is right.

Bike
    Triumph
    think hard before you skimp on riding gear
    they may literally save your arse

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by devo View Post
    What he said...this man is wise beyond my years
    Just ride.

Bike
    VFR800
    When I was looking I ended up going for Cordura. The cheaper priced jeans only have Kevlar in keys points. So if you come off and skid on your ass, knees, side you should be OK but if you skid somewhere else then it's just denim in between you and the road.

Then again, the denim used in these type of jeans are better than what you would expect in a pair from Warehouse/Hallensteins but isn't really going to do the job if you need it.
    You only need two tools in life:
    Duct tape if it moves and it shouldn't.
    WD-40 if it doesn't move and it should.

Brute force and ignorance always prevails.
    Failure comes from too little brute force, or
    too little ignorance.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    But he'll have some really cool scars ... chicks dig scars ... right ....

and whats a little pain ... for a few months ... or more ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    Apart from the obvious lack of impact protection and patchy kevlar cover... I wear a pair of Dririder Jeans everyday to work and back, very comfortable.. paid $179 from Boyd's about 4-5 months ago.

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    I've got a pair of Cortech ones. In two minds about them. I think I paid maybe $100-150 max for them. The stitching around one of the pockets is coming undone (double stitched so not fazed) and stitching around the belt line had come undone. Maybe had them for 3-4 years. Just got them repaired and it cost me a massive $5. They've got pockets in the knees for armour.

Would I buy that brand again? Dunno to be honest. I suppose I'd compare the way they're made etc to others. But couldn't really argue with the price. They're not a bland pair either. They're the trendy 'worn' look. I look cool bananas in them

Bike
    2013 lil red tractor
    If the reason is just because you're too hot, then just wear normal Jeans.
    The Kevalr ones will give you a false sense of security - "Yeah - I got some motorcycle protection", but at the end of the day, they aint gonna save ya. Any impact of a knee (or other pointy body part) on the tarmac will quite often do the damage, usually holing the jeans (through the 'kevlar' lining), and you lose yer skin anyway (as well as the impact injury).

If Leather/cordura is too hot, you just gotta HTFU or wear jeans - kevlar lined are just a rip-off, if you ask me, preying on the minds of uninformed motorcyclists. They will give better abrasion protection than standard denim, but by the time you're sliding (after initial impact and roll) it'll be too late for them to be effective.

And if anyone says that it's only for short trips or "only around town" then the above applies as well - you might as well just wear normal ol' Levi's

just my $0.10 (because 5c is defunct)
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Bike
    Your mom
    I wonder if it's worth getting normal jeans and putting some armour in them around my knees and ass.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Just don't fall off.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    I use a pair of Kevlar lined jeans on warm days ..often with knee protectors. Problem I find is on longer rides my delicate skin chaffs from the more abrasive kevlar, so I have taken to wearing light (or heavy) long johns underneath, not AS cool but still breaths nice.

Longer trips are anything 250km plus...

Bike
    1996 ZX6-R
    I use Draggin jeans with knox armour in knees and hips. Have had an off, I was on the back and the egg dropped it going over train tracks, and they worked fine. Massive bruises and scratched back where jacket pulled up but no damage under the jeans. We were doing maybe 40kph. They were wearing normal jeans and are still pulling gravel out of cuts 2 months on so I'll stick with kevlar thanks

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post
    The stitching around one of the pockets is coming undone (double stitched so not fazed)
    Thats strange because I've never seen you with your hands in your pocket

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Thats strange because I've never seen you with your hands in your pocket

When you have Kahuna's the size of mine you'd play with them all the time too.

Be gone troll

Bike
    bike
    Blog Entries
    I was wearing draggon slicks when i crashed. They tore at the bottom and rode all the way up my leg when caught on barbed wire/ Leg is still in a very bad way with a major scar all the way down the side where a large flap of skin tore away from the bone. Jeans didn't protect me even slightly, have now brought leather with armour and will ride in even on a hot hot day. Leg inuury has been the worst, and unfortunately it was thanks to those jeans (oh, and crashing - my bad)

Thread Information