Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Small Harley"?

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Seems some missed that crucial point...
    It depends on what one regards as the crucial point I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbowman View Post
    .... and if it works out would like to get a Harley.

Bike
    Various things
    Me three...the Superlow is the real deal reach for the wheels...
    But, if you are learning, the law states you must be on a 250(or less) if your riding on the road...
    Gotta start all over again Scott sorry. Graduated licence system here. Learners/Restricted then full.
    It may well do for now, but think you'll find soon, we'll be legally allowed to ride things like the 883 on a learner licence. About time too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    It may well do for now, but think you'll find soon, we'll be legally allowed to ride things like the 883 on a learner licence. About time too.
    Up to 660cc maximum I think Pete, with a power to weight ratio restriction. Comes into force October 2012.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    If you are XXXL you can get an exemption from a 250.
    The increase of speed limited to 250's to 100kph was a step in the right direction.
    ...and yes. I bought a 600 sports bike whilst on my restricted and rode it.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I certainly didn't. But before too long, you'll more than likely be able to ride an XL883 as a first bike, and I'd have no problem with that.
    Not quite. The approved learners bikes are a power to weight ratio, but must still be less than 650 cc.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    Up to 660cc maximum I think Pete, with a power to weight ratio restriction. Comes into force October 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Not quite. The approved learners bikes are a power to weight ratio, but must still be less than 650 cc.
    Bugger! We'll pull a plug lead of for ya then.

Bike
    87 Honda VTZ250
    For Harley Davidson, Vicroads' LAM only lists the SS350 (and we can take Vicroads' LAM as a good indicator of what we will get come 1st of October 2012).

To the OP, your wife will:
    1. Need to get a Basic Handling Skills Certificate (ride around some cones and don't fall off, bikes supplied).
    2. Get a learners motorbike licence (scratchy, oral)
    3. Ride on the learners for a while (presently up to 250cc)
    4. Get a restricted motorbike licence (riding test, show you are good and safe, your bike)
    5. Ride on the restricted for a while (again, up to 250cc)
    6. Get a full motorbike licence (riding test #2, show you are good(er) and safe(er), your bike)
    7. Enjoy life whilst spending copious amounts of money on motorcycles

I'd suggest getting started ASAP before rules start changing regards getting licences (indications that getting a restricted is going to require minimum number of [logged?] hours learning, sounds like a PITA to me).

Bike
    Two wheeled beastie!
    Thanks again for replies...

Also heard from Clint at Wellington Motorcycles who also recommended the 'XL883-Low', so we're going to check that out.
    Cheers and thanks again for all your help

regards
    Scott

Bike
    A few
    Thanks again for replies...

Also heard from Clint at Wellington Motorcycles who also recommended the 'XL883-Low', so we're going to check that out.
    Cheers and thanks again for all your help

regards
    Scott
    Of course some would say, screw the rules, do their learners and then jump on a >250 (as i would) . I happen to know of a learners bike in kapiti (which i'm sure the Mrs would lend) if your wife needs a bike to do any tests on. Or Randel at Twin Cam has a hire 250 for just that purpose

But be aware there are now 35 demerit points issued for riding with the wrong class of licence
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    If your wife has never ridden on the road before I would recommend against the 883. While they are not exactly power houses. They are very good at throwing someone down the road on their arse with the weight and torque they do have.
    Think of it like having a willys jeep as your first car. Not fast, not lots of power. But get it wrong and your over a bank.

My recommendations is GV650 or lower (cc wise).
    But if you don't want trouble with the law grab a 250. Right now they are pulling over anything on 2 wheels (for nothing other than "checks"). Regardless of how safe you look, or how old you look.
    If they see L license on a med sized bike.......they see $$
    Would hate for your trip in this country to be a massive expense and a sad story of fighting the law and losing.

NZ is not the biker heaven it used to be.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    If your wife has never ridden on the road before I would recommend against the 883. While they are not exactly power houses. They are very good at throwing someone down the road on their arse with the weight and torque they do have.
    Think of it like having a willys jeep as your first car. Not fast, not lots of power. But get it wrong and your over a bank.

My recommendations is GV650 or lower (cc wise).
    But if you don't want trouble with the law grab a 250. Right now they are pulling over anything on 2 wheels (for nothing other than "checks"). Regardless of how safe you look, or how old you look.
    If they see L license on a med sized bike.......they see $$
    Would hate for your trip in this country to be a massive expense and a sad story of fighting the law and losing.

NZ is not the biker heaven it used to be.
    I've never been pulled over on my bike, I commute every day and ride most weekends. Usually like an idiot.

Just sayin...
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I've never been pulled over on my bike, I commute every day and ride most weekends. Usually like an idiot.

Just sayin...
    Nor had I...

but times are a changing since most of us don't have rego anymore. Cops see this as shooting fish in a barrel.

Might be worth hearing a warning about the storm by reading the clouds rather than standing in the rain saying
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guy,happy,rain,sad,man,caras,gente-c547f283efeef9700b3b8249cea2986d_h.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	250778
    "Yep its definitely a storm"
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    87 Honda VTZ250
    theres a rather meke as VN on TM...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-414891040.htm
    Had to go into Hamptons today to pick up some seals and had a quick glance at this. Damn, that thing looks massive in the flesh for a 250.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Thanks all for your helpful and quick replies!
    And Pete, I'm sure we'll be popping down to check things out.

I am surprised there seems to be such a suitable range available. I had asked the question as whilst she likes my bike (Fatboy) she has always been intimdated by its size, and didnt really dare trying to sit on it to get her feet down in case she couldnt handle the weight of the bike...

But I realise she'd have to progress to a Harley anyway...

Anyone care to give me a quick summary of legalities here in NZ ( I passed my bike test years ago in UK and only had to do the multichoice questionaire when we migrated to NZ.)
    My wife (Tracey) has held a car licence for 20+ years, if that makes any difference, but has never ridden a motorbike.

Thanks all again
    Cheers
    Scott
    If she hasn't ridden before at all, i would be looking at something in the 250 range and leave it at that until she is all good on that. Then i would change to a hmmmm maybe 650 twin ish to get my skills up and then maybe the Harley.
    Unless you prefer her dead than alive, in that case just go buy the Harley now if ya want.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    raptor 1000
    are you sure when she says she doesn't like your Fatboy it your motorbike she's talking about

Thread Information