Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Small Harley"?

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottbowman View Post
    The 883L, looked beautiful, but Tracey found it very imposing. She could sit on it and get the ball of her feet down, but not her heels. Clint said they could drop the front a little which may help, plus bigger bike boots rather than the flat shoes she was wearing, may all make a little difference.
    Main problem was that Tracey found the bulk of the bike; big fuel tank and motor in front of her as she stretched to reached the bars, quite imposing. That and the weight of it to get it off the stand... She managed it, but it wasnt easy.
    I love my 883. Great bike for me. But I think she is wise to get something a bit lighter. It wouldn't be the performance so much (waits for the comments along the lines of Harleys don't have performance), as the weight to move it round.
    It is the heaviest bike I have owned. I don't notice the weight when riding, but moving it about it is heavy. In a recent thread where a Guzzi rider got blown off his bike at the lights, I think your lady might have had a difficult time stopping the 883 going over, let alone picking it up again.

A smaller 250 to start is a great option.

And on to the HD's later when a few skills have been learned and confidence gained.

Welcome to the world of 2 wheels!

Bike
    I think the 250 Intruder is an awesome little bike - I loved mine, and had so much fun on it and gained so much confidence.
    Interesting what you said about the size and weight of the bigger bikes. I had a Honda Shadow Spirit (750cc) and the actual size of the bike is bigger than my 1200cc Harley Sportster! The Honda is longer and the tank is much wider, but it is lighter and the weight is lower and easier to handle.
    If you are going to ride with her on the motorway and not leave her behind ( my husband used to take off and leave me) then I think the Intruder will be a fantastic choice for her.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Our Kitty has been there and done that when it comes to small, med and then Big! bikes, she rides that damn Tractor like a pro these days but it took a while as she said and it's always a good idea to start small and work up.Looks like time and a calm approach has won out and your good lady will soon be riding a good ol spewsuki 2fiddy, very sensible that well done all.
    Enjoy the rides and keep a good eye out for her when it comes to those fools who try to intimidate small bike riders. My wife now rides a NV400 nonda and she loves the style and the extra power that comes with it after her little 250 Lifan.Ha which I am once again using in lieu of me normal steed.
    Summers here get that BHS and that bike!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII

Smile

She is tall- once she has learnt †o ride she'll have a large choice of bikes to choose from including yours.

Bike
    1200 Sporty Custom
    I got my license in 07 went from GN250 to 06 Sporty Custom 1200 - last of the carbied - sounds fab and havent had any major issues. Can give hubby a run for his money if I feel like it!!
    (fatbob).Think I may have got time reduced on license as did a defensive driving course that was car-related - go figure. IM 5.6" Ave size. Goodluck!

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbowman View Post
    Hi, my wife is interested in learning to ride, and if it works out would like to get a Harley.
    But she's only 5'2" and wonders if theres any bikes in the Harley range that she'll be able to get her feet down on.

Any recommendations out there?

Cheers
    Scott
    Yeah a yamaha xv 250 brillent bikes i rekon best styed cruiser esp japense elegant be word i use
    And made for years owner told me bmw made parts for them werid looks like harley jap brand german made parts ,reliablity small low seat
    good motor too , then 883 harley if she wants bigger bike sportsters are the lightest
    The guy i know had his for like 8 years and still going great

Bike
    250 to a busa and im still alive.
    i got 1990 hd hugger (really low sportster) bright purple with ss slash cut loud pipes kitted to 1200cc i may have on the market soon.
    KB - Turning young innocent novice riders into cynical arsehole bikers since ages ago

Bike
    2008, Suzuki Intruder
    The new 2012 range of sportster super lows could be a good choice considering your partners height. She should be able to sit feet planted on either side. Otherwise you could always look at the other bikes and lower the suspension and get a lower seat

Thread Information