Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fecking markups

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Customers want stable pricing, too, not up and down according to the exchange rate.
    Not true. It goes up and down daily if I buy it off anywhere other than in NZ, doesn't make a difference to me as a customer. I might wait to order if the currency is going up and down a lot, but only if it's an item worth more than few thousand.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Im beginning to think this whole consumer lark isn't such a good Idea and maybe buy once and repair is the better option ...who cares if the 2012 bike had ATAC or HISS .. or what ever (funnily enough I now now how the come up with these words ...more fool me ...)

buy NZ made Disks .....

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    buy NZ made Disks .....

Stephen
    The only NZ made disks I can think of are crap. They warp real fast because of how they're made.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    ''I am sick of getting screwed over buy company's who have MASSIVE markup's on products''

You do buy petrol and milk dont you?....

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    ''I am sick of getting screwed over buy company's who have MASSIVE markup's on products''

You do buy petrol and milk dont you?....
    just because you are trapped into buying from companies with massive mark-ups doesn't mean you don't get sick of it but you still have to do it. Isn't it nice and reassuring that we have the likes of the Commerce Commission and Fair Trading act to ensure these companies don't rip us off

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Not true. It goes up and down daily if I buy it off anywhere other than in NZ, doesn't make a difference to me as a customer. I might wait to order if the currency is going up and down a lot, but only if it's an item worth more than few thousand.
    Off-shore purchasers expect to be subject to the exchange rate, but the listings are usually set and consistent, it's like taking into account the variable freight costs in NZ.

The problem with frequently adjusting prices is customer frustration and demands for refunds if the item they bought yesterday goes down the next day. While the exchange rate is significant for the importer purchasing thousands of dollars worth of stock, it makes little difference to the individual price on the shelf, and the adjustment would be self-defeating and require a lot of administration work.

It's been said before, but bears repeating, that while I have to absorb the extra cost when the rate drops and the customer would welcome a drop in price if the rate goes up, the customer doesn't want to pay the extra for the rate drop that I have to. Better to set a realistic price with a small margin for rate fluctuations and give a stable prce structure.

From time to time it may be feasible to offer a special price if the importer has a significant win or his supplier runs an offer but you've seen the outcry over Honda recently slashing their prices. Great for the new customer, but the poor sod who paid thousands more the day or week before would be spitting tacks!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    For me is easy. Have family in Chicago. Surf Ebay, pick what I need and if it doesn't ship to NZ, I ask my family to buy it for me. Generally within USA it's free shipping. I wire them money and they send it to me once they receive it. Ok, so it might take 3-4 days extra but I think it is worth it.

There are also sites on the net where you can set up US shipping address. The goods are shipped there and then redirected to you. It only costs about $10/ year to have this account but if you ship lots of parts then it is money well spent
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Convert it to NZ Sheckels AUS170 = NZ$224

Take off AUS GST = $NZ201

Add Freight AUS$30 = NZ$39 Total = NZ$263

Add GST NZ$40 Total = NZ$303

(there may be a middle man here in which case add more GST and freight)

No middleman as MG directly linked their NZ agent

Add markup - which believe me, will be fuck all compared to what you think it is 30%= NZ$91 Total = NZ$394

Yes, the NZ agent is ripping off the customer to the tune of $8.

Now, is it any wonder why so many of us buy direct from overseas?
    hey for a wild guess I wasnt fat out ! ,,,8 dollars ,,, and 91 to pay staff with,,,

eeeewwwwwww

Stephen
    Yes - take off Aus GST, but then the net + freight = $240. Your calcs show that somebody just made $27 without justification.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    The problem with frequently adjusting prices is customer frustration and demands for refunds if the item they bought yesterday goes down the next day.
    No, when I return overseas, they refund the original purchase price, not the current one, as would you.

Floating prices don't frustrate customers, they used to. Now what pisses us off is apparent hideous margins. Every week the price of cans of coke changes at the market, I deal with it and the scores of others that float just fine. The only reason that the Honda pricing upset was that it was unusual and a huge change.

Bike
    roughly ,

225 cost

250 incl post

50 % odd mark up to cover everything what thats about 120

sell price 450 odd

no I'm not reaching for a calculator .... but hes probably got between 30 and 50 % mark up

So , you can suddenly see how many of these thing ya need to shift to pay the salary ....

The whole retailing is out of whack I reckon , maybe we are going towards a more centralized market ???

Stephen

still works out to under 20 k yen which ain't a lot
    Ok so I have have jumped up & down a little bit when I say massive , but I would think that the NZ agent would not be paying $170per disc I am figuring that there would be a "cost" price lower than that , Why would the NZ agent pay Aust Retail ? ..... Remember .... Retail , Trade , Cost .........

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Yes - take off Aus GST, but then the net + freight = $240. Your calcs show that somebody just made $27 without justification.
    You are correct, my mistake. It's even worse, because the 30% mark-up is on the entire price, so that $27 gets inflated by 30% as well. It still re-inforces that for may items buying direct from overseas is the best way.

I support my local retailers up to the point that an item is 50% dearer in NZ than importing it myself.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    The only NZ made disks I can think of are crap. They warp real fast because of how they're made.
    its built in , generally by puberty

Stephen

but , ..here companies research , refine ,,,does anyone remember the early 70 disks ...truly horrible , Does, is there any benefit/ money for research and development ?

oh well off overseas to buy
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmikey View Post
    Ok so I have have jumped up & down a little bit when I say massive , but I would think that the NZ agent would not be paying $170per disc I am figuring that there would be a "cost" price lower than that , Why would the NZ agent pay Aust Retail ? ..... Remember .... Retail , Trade , Cost .........

no , you had a normal reaction to paying a perceived " double the price " ,,, looked at from my point of view 400 dollars ( and I know this is going to sound odd) but 400 dollars is a a night out on the piss, ive spent that on a handful of sticks with meat on them and a bottle of beer ( i nearly died when I saw the price), so from my point of view not so bad ,

not a lot you can do its the price you pay for living in NZ

As I have said, I'm not sure this whole consumerism thing is such a good Idea after all .... may work for disposable items such as Iphones , and wife ( should be recyclable) but for large items such as cars and bikes ...... they should be repairable ( india , but with better quality )

anyway , I would say what ever works out cheaper , go with that ,,, as my friend here says , work hard , save the money , tighten the belt .....its an oldie but a goodie !

Stephen

Bike
    R1, GSXR1000, VFR800, GB500. NSR250
    I wouldnt buy metalgear either - unless you want warped discs. I purchased two and one warped within three months. Returned it for a refund and then went and purchased EBC from Cycle Brakes in the US - for a better price than the metalgear.

At least if you buy local and there is an issue - you can just return it for a replacement or refund. If it was purchased from overseas, you will be lumbered with the cost of returning it for exchange or refund.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    If it was purchased from overseas, you will be lumbered with the cost of returning it for exchange or refund.
    Not will, may. FWIW any time I've had a problem with an overseas product, they have sorted it all out. Hell buy from the Chinese and they let you keep the knackered/wrong bit.

Thread Information